cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petition: Update the UK Traffic Signs Regulations to a geometrically correct football

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Petition: Update the UK Traffic Signs Regulations to a geometrically correct football

This was just sloppy/ignorant design in the first place and should be corrected for all new signs: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202305

Existing signsExisting signs

You can't make a football out of all hexagons as depicted - they are made from 12 regular pentagons and 20 regular hexagons

The official response so far is pathetic.

It contradicts itself: "If the correct geometry were put onto a sign, it would only be visible close up" then it says "The higher level of attention needed to understand the geometry could distract a driver’s view away from the road for longer than necessary which could therefore increase the risk of an incident.". So would the changed geometry be visible or not?

They've also said it would be too costly to replace the existing signs when the petition isn't asking for that. It clearly says "If the dark hexagons were changed to pentagons it would accurately depict a football on all future street signs.".

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
17 REPLIES
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Petition: Update the UK Traffic Signs Regulations to a geometrically correct football

Does it really [-Censored-]ing matter?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Petition: Update the UK Traffic Signs Regulations to a geometrically correct football

20,000 people signing up to the petition, so it  must make a difference Wink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41813720

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's the response that irks me. If they'd said "thanks for pointing this out - we'll fix it for future signs" it would have been a non-issue. It's like everything officialdom does: they'll spend more time and effort (and our money) trying to justify doing nothing than it would take to just quietly do what is sensible.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well as someone who doesn't follow football.

It's round has shapes on it and looks like one to me. Tongue 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

They could just do a solid white circle for all I care, doesn't really matter what it looks like, if it's round and looks like a football, then it's probably not a rugby field... Crazy

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Strewth! And I thought I was a pedant! Roll eyes

Not young enough to know everything
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

The football in the sign is instantly recognisable as just that.. a football. You couldn't mistake it for anything else. It doesn't have to be factually correct in dimensions/pattern. It just needs to be instantly recognisable without much thought.. I don't see what the issue is.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

DaveyH
Pro

rongtw wrote:

20,000 people signing up to the petition, so it  must make a difference Wink

Have you seen some of the petitions that get created?

Many of them just highlight the idiocy of general public. The creator of that one and all its signatories being a prime example, frankly....

Community Veteran

I was thinking that the little man doesn't look very realistic and in this age of ethnic diversity should he be white and don't get me started on the man to ball scale.Cheesy

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Pfft, the real 1st world problem just now is the hamburger emoji.

Why can't people get their priorities right Crazy3

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Shep41
Rising Star

Is that the way to the Easter egg hunt 🤣😄
Fixes: 125

@Browni From your link:

Google's positioning of the cheese is blasphemous

Really?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DaveyH
Pro

This thread has reminded me that Dave Gorman did a segment on his Modern Life Is Goodish show on Dave covering the whole ridiculousness of Govt e-petitions.

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/dave-gormans-modern-life-is-goodish/watch-online/?video=3813300770...

The segment starts around the 13 min mark.
Fixes: 125

@DaveyH

I like 'Modern Life is Goodish'. He has some interesting takes on life.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still