cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pet hates.........

Community Veteran

Re: Pet hates.........

Quote from: Mav
I always take a newspaper to read - motorway driving is so boring otherwise Smiley

That's why I love travelling by train (I'm thinking leisure travel here, not impersonating sardines in the rush hour) - you're free to do whatever you want while you're travelling. Also, I think trains tend to have more scenic routes than motorways, as they plough right through city centres rather than just going through endless miles of fields. Although having said that, when I went to Paris thrice last year, I always found the French part of the Eurostar journey rather dull. Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Drivers who do 65 in the third lane of the 4 lane parts of the M25 when the first two lanes are empty.
A friend is a police accident investigator and his opinion is that is you come up behind them when you are in the inside lane it is probably safer to pass them on the inside (with a clear lane between you and them) than to swing across four lanes.
(PS Has anyone ever seen a BMW using the inside lane of a motorway?)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Yes - overtaking me when the outer two lanes were running along nicely at 70 - 75mph
pierre_pierre
Grafter

It might be safer but technically illegal, the only time you can pass on the left is in solid traffic and yoy keep a constant speed and the outer lanes slow down

and Jim the term is under taking  i.e. soon to be dead
geewizz
Grafter

Hate brevity.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You're right about it being "under-taking" pierre, in some countries its perfectly legal, but of course they're used to it and are aware it will happen. Here we're simply not programmed to expect it, so when it is done its much more likely to be dangerous.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: The
Hate brevity.

who?
Tyreal74
Grafter

i undertook a lorry on the Parkway this morning - admittedly he did pull into the outside lane and it was in my opinion safer to undertake than brake harshly
the fact i was in the ST and was happily motoring at 75mph had nothing to do with it
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
It might be safer but technically illegal, the only time you can pass on the left is in solid traffic and yoy keep a constant speed and the outer lanes slow down

and Jim the term is under taking  i.e. soon to be dead

Its perfectly legal.
The highway code advises against it in rule 268, however the highway code is a description of best practice, rather than a statement of law.
In reality, it is only prosecutable as 'dangerous driving', or 'driving without due care and attention' - the reality being that the person driving with undue care or attention is the person who is failing to keep left when not overtaking.
With regard 'dangerous driving', this is where the common sense of motorists needs to be considered - if its a dry day with good visibility and little traffic, its unlikely to be dangerous. If its dark, or poor weather, its more likely to be dangerous.
If its busy, then the rule doesn't apply. :/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

With an empty lane between me and the car that's being stupid I'm taking a lot of care and give full attention to watch for any stupid reaction.
Quote from: jelv

Nobody has it seems - just as I thought! Roll eyes
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Bow to your Knowledge, seeming as I know you, tried to find the regs MT(E&W)R regulations 5, 5A & 9, MT(S)R regulations 4 & 8, but can only find the amended, not much help
Community Veteran

Nobody has it seems - just as I thought! Roll eyes

I see loads of BMWs using the inside lane, they cross it when they exit from the third lane.
Lurker
Grafter

Don't worry about them - you've made a common mistake! (People very often misquote things to support their views, which makes it hard for people researching stuff, as you can't tell which versions are authoritive [Clue: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070236 ]
The parts of the Highway code which are mirrored/supported by law are stated as things which you MUST or MUST NOT do.
The laws you quote above are referring to Highway Code rule 269 - which details that one MUST NOT use the hard should for overtaking etc.
The specific laws refer to acceptable and unacceptable uses of the hard shoulder (eg, parking is bad, stopping to use the toilet for anybody other than the driver is bad) the recent amendments you refer to are the ones made to include Highways Agency officers to instruct you to drive on there, and to include the allowances for driving on the hard shoulder generally when the overhead signs dictate that you may. (For the trials of using the hard shoulder as an extra lane during peak times)
Of course - all of this has nothing to do with the discussion on the legality of overtaking on the left. Wink
Community Veteran

I now regularly over take on the left.
If there is a numpty cruising in the middle lane doing fifty or whatever I just continue past on the left. I do this on the basis that I am already in the left lane, maintaining my current speed, there is slower moving traffic in the outer lanes and the manoeuvre is is safer than crossing three lanes to overtake and three lanes to get back in the left lane.
James
Grafter

I hate Bob.