Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pet hates...

Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Pet hates...

Quote from: petlew
[big snip]  come from our nearest Chinky.

A nother pet hate of mine is people coming out with racism remarks.  See above for an example of a racist remark.    Angry   Angry   Angry
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well, well, since when has the widely used shortened version of Chinese used in this context been a racist remark? think you're being a bit over sensitive.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

At the expense of being in danger of labouring this point. Garry, you will encounter fewer people in life who are less "racial" than me, I take a completely "live and let live" attitude. I've met, lived among (Southall) and worked with and for Asians, and admired them for their industriousness. I've met also a few I didn't like, and some who have been bone idle, but this is personal not racially motivated. I've met some English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh people I don't like much either, who can be worse.
We habitually call Americans Yanks, they call us Limey's in return. Australians we call Ozzies, they call us Pom's, the list go's on. We are known by many nations as Brits, is this offensively racial? But in the context of this exchange, the Chinese have been known -as the word I used- by most western nations since the late 14th century. The Chinese have far more derogatory terms for us.
I feel, that if a lot less emphasis was put on what we call each other in innocent fun, and a lot more on how we treat each other, there would be a lot less racial tension everywhere.   

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Gary.... racism is in the ears and eyes of the beholder..... In the context that this term was used, it is a "coloquial" term.....I don`t think that makes it a "racist" remark..... if it had been used with expletives and was a derogatory use, then I would agree it would have been a racist remark.....
Highlighted
Grafter

Any way dont we call those up there Geordies without complaint?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Except when the term includes everyone from the River Tees to the Scottish border Angry
Highlighted
Community Veteran

likewise for    scousers...... brummies..... yorkies....  tykes..... taffy  ..... paddy  ..... can`t think of any of them being "racist" names... 
Grin A2
Highlighted
Community Veteran

mod:note
OK, lets drop this subject now and move on.
Jonathan
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Fine, consider it dropped by me anyway.
To continue with Pet Hates; Was having a late-life crisis yesterday, and in a mad moment brought a (cheap) remote controlled helicopter, and I hate it already, can get it off the ground, but then it goes wild spiraling in circles, smashing it'self into fences and trees...got a life of it's own!!

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Just bought a new digital camera - file size on best quality just over 4MB - and what size SD card is included 16MB - yes it won't even take 4 pictures.
The extra cost of a decent size card would be chickenfeed.
To make it worse I bought it from Currys - just down the road (best price for the camera including internet shopping) and a 1GB SD card was over £25 so I ordered a 1GB Sandisk Ultra ll from play.com £6.99 free postage
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yes....I think that is pretty stupid ..... but the mfctrs know that if the price was hiked up to"over " the 100 number it would make the camera look expensive..... same with printers..... you can buy a "pretty decent" A4 printer now for a little over £30..... the cartridges are only a quarter full, and you have to spend another £30 on replacements..... Cry
Petlew..... perhaps you had better get that girl with the new Yaris car, to give you some lessons on how (not) to fly you helicopter..... Shocked
Trouble with them, is you have to be able to manage three dimensional thinking with two dimensional hands ! ! !...Fixed wing would/should be easier to fly..... Grin
repetition    Grin A2
Highlighted
Community Veteran

According to the Japanese translation destructions, when at minimum throttle enough to "lift off" it should just hover with no directional input, if it tends to spin there is an adjustment to counter it, but it seems almost impossible to set to a mid point. The adjustment seems to supposedly throttle the (separately driven) tail rotor...huuump!! Spin it makes strictly come dancing's Viennese Waltz seem pedestrian.
saw it first time on other PC  Grin C3

Highlighted
Community Veteran

And when you buy a printer it doesn't come with a cable - so at PCWorld they will try to sell you a cable for £10 - £15 when you can get one from Tesco for £1.99 (if memory serves me correctly)
Highlighted
Community Veteran

or locally, you can buy a "modern" usb connector pack, with four different "plug in" ends, thin wire, like headphone wire, in the local "mr cheap" shop for              twenty shillings (old money)  £1.00 in the modern coinage ! ! ... the plugs fit cameras and phones, and ipod thingys ....
edit
as well as printers and scanners

Grin C4
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Since most Canon printers used to be supplied with a cable, I've got a drawer full of them, but have been using the same USB cable for the last 3 printers, Since the only non-Canon printer I've used is an Epson Picturemate printer (rubbish!!) I can't speak for other makes, can't remember if that was supplied or not.