cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pet hates...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Pet hates...

I expect most of us have a pet hate about something or other. Mine is excess packaging, and in particular "blister packs" that can't be opened without a large knife or scissors, and then find the cardboard insert had folded inside some vital instruction that you've just cut in half through the line that had the most important information. I suppose some of it is to deter tea-leaf shop-lifters.
I also find it very annoying that you can't seem to buy screws (etc.) these days in packs of less than 10, when you only need 2 for a job. Although just to be contrary, I do have a local car bitz retailer (independent) who opens packs and sells self-tapping screws in singles, but he's a bit of a rarity. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
100 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Pet hates...

pet hates ?    my wife hates our pet ! ! !...
Yes, I agree, those blister(ing) blister packs..... Last year I went to our local motor shop for one of those dashboard fans to supplement the blower, for some cool (?) air during the heatwave..... It was blister packed, and despite carefully opening it, it was wrecked.  The fan was no better than the existing blower, and so I wanted to return it to the shop... they had no problem with the return, but being an ex-motor shop manager, I felt badly about the wrecked packaging, which meant the guy could not sell the item as "new" and had all the paperwork to return it to his suppliers...... probably doing some minor damage to it, so it could be returned as faulty !
Other pet hates, include, obviously dirty cups and cutlery in cafe`s..... badly cleaned tables, and noisy, unruly children who can`t control their parents properly, wherever they are.
Note.... whenever I come across the dirty cups,etc.,  I always make a "big show" when returning it, and complaining "quite loudly"..... Has some quite nice effects. and embarasses the staff no end !....
Community Veteran

Dirty cups etc. is a tricky one. As I used to work for a company that produced dishwashers amongst other things. I know that cutlery particularly can "look" er! unclean with a whiteish streaky film, but are actually perfectly sterile from the machine, it's just that the dishwasher needs some rinse aid, this allows the hot water to run off and leave a pristine shine, but they're actually quite clean.
However, lipstick on cups (should you blame the restaurant for that?) soiled plates etc. is something else entirely.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

However, lipstick on cups (should you blame the restaurant for that?) soiled plates etc. is something else entirely.

YES.... the restaurant/cafe/mcd/kfc/pzut/ or any food outlet has to comply with the very strict hygeine laws. and ALL staff should be constantly checking and be aware of ANY hazard to the public whilst on the premises,  I know..... I have been running tea rooms, B&B and Restaurants.... and have been inspected several times by various local Health Authorities.... (routinely, but they are very strict in their inspections)
jmd
Grafter

I hate excess packaging too!  I once ordered some a DVD and paperback book from Amazon.  Normally they are packed quite reasonably but this time a large box box arrived [started to wonder if I had ordered more than I thought!] and when I opened it, the items were shrink wrapped at bottom of box.  This meant the box contained 95% air and 5% goods!
Blister packs - I end up with cut fingers trying to get in them.
Jars that are shrink wrapped so that you have to somehow get the film, and then get the jar open!
etc
etc
other pet hates -  the esure car insurance advert with that man in it, smoking in street, pushchairs that block exit of buses, swearing, etc
I think that is enough for now! Smiley
Community Veteran

Oh.... Don`t stop there, Josie,  I was enjoying that ......
jmd
Grafter

No shutter, I had to stop there before I got tooooooooo carried away! Grin
jmd
Grafter

oh and shutter you have not said what your pet hats are?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

aid what your pet hats are?

mines a thermal wind cheater helmet style hat great when walking out on the sea wall  Crazy
Community Veteran

My pet hat is attached to my parka.... it`s brilliant for keeping the rain off my glasses! ! !.... needed a new one for when I went working in peoples gardens, but couldn`t find one with a peak..... they all seemed to gather up around the face, when you pull a drawstring..... then the rain runs down your forehead, and into your eyes, and also on your glasses, and you can`t see anything....
I think I did mention that I did not like the packaging that you need a boy scout with a sharp knife to open it for you....
most of my pet hates, are incidental to what is happening around me at the time..... I may be driving, and my pet hate is having someone trying to push me along, despite the speed limit being 30 mph.... I usually knock the car out of gear, and coast along, getting slower and slower, until he/she overtakes, then I just speed up again to 30 mph. (or whatever the speed limit for that section of road is.)
If I am in a shop, my pet hate is the person, or persons, in front of me.....
If my wife wins £10 on the lottery.......... (as she did tonight) ........ no further comment !
Community Veteran

Snap! my wife also won a tenner.

jmd
Grafter

another pet hate - people boasting about their good luck! Wink
congratulation to the two wives - hope they spend it on something for themselves! Smiley
Community Veteran

My pet hate is people who win money on the lottery, when it isn`t me.............
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont care, one of my pet hates is people who queue up getting their twice a week or more fix and stop me buying a paper.
Second thoughts, I never buy a paper, use the Tele and internet, no time to read papers.
Community Veteran

Quote from: jmd

congratulation to the two wives - hope they spend it on something for themselves!

It's my wifes' turn to pay for lunch tomorrow.