Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pet Rent

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Pet Rent

What a nasty lot many landlords are if this report about charging tenants pet rent has, well legs.

"....one landlord in Bicester in Oxfordshire is asking £40 per pet in monthly rent in a two-bedroom home that already costs £995 a month for the human occupants. It means a family with a dog and two cats would face a yearly animal rent of over £1,400. Another in Cheltenham is asking £50 a month for “four-legged friends” with exemptions for fish or hamsters. Several landlords are seeking pet rent only for “clawed” pets"

Next up, charging for the number of occupants or even more ourtageous, the number of kids living in the house - not forgetting granddad in the attic.... or dried out granny in a rocking chair down the basement à la Psycho. :shocked:

5 REPLIES 5
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Pet Rent

Two ways to look at that..... it is a kind of insurance... that the "pet" does not damage the property... or it keeps people with pets away from the property altogether.. so the landlord does not have the "pet smell/problems" to clear up at the end of the tenancy, before he can re-let to another "family".

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:

Two ways to look at that..... it is a kind of insurance... that the "pet" does not damage the property... or it keeps people with pets away from the property altogether.. so the landlord does not have the "pet smell/problems" to clear up at the end of the tenancy, before he can re-let to another "family".

Indeed but as the article said the landlords are using this little trick in order to claw back what they think they have lost under those restrictions.

Let's hope this does not find pets on the pavement because their owners cannot afford the extra.

What a sticky money grabbing lot so many of them are. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I've heard of this too.. unfortunately it's a landlords wild west these days and they can pretty much get away with anything.

Moons ago tenants were accepted as probably having pets and nobody seemed to give a stuff about it. These days replacing a carpet is far too much for landlords who are coining it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Minivanman  I have not read the article.... so was assuming this was being applied to "new" tenants.... if it is an "added extra" to existing tenancies, then I would suspect that is a breach of the terms... and may be challenged via solicitor or court action .

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

Which is why I included a clip from the said article as like others, I don't always have time to read the entire contents of a link.

It really is just a more money grabbing op from the rental market crowed and whilst I'm aware that some here rent out properties, I never could in a million years especially where need is the issue rather than renting out say holiday accomodation as I once did - an annexe to the main house.

As it happened it never worked out as my son and his then lady friend moved into it rent free. :rolleyes: