cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pet Insurance and rising vets bills

annerimmington
Grafter

Pet Insurance and rising vets bills

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2096289/50-000-pet-owners-face-crippling-vet-bills-insurance...
Not surprised given the escalating and outrageous fees that vets charge - they can vary hugely from practice to practice.  About time there was a public enquiry  Angry  And the price of medication they charge is ridiculous..............I now buy things like flea/worm treatment over the internet from one of the many pet supermarkets.    Why would I pay £25 to buy it at my local vets when exactly the same product can be bought for £10.50.     I do have pet insurance for my 2 cats with a smaller company but would not be surprised to see them cancelling it too, because of extortionate vets fees  Sad     I guess the solution would be to put aside money each month into a high interest account to pay for future vets bills.     Who said owning a pet is good for stress  Roll eyes
6 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Pet Insurance and rising vets bills

The key word used in the article is 'pedigree' if you saw last night BBC 4 programme  on Pedigree Dogs Exposed you will understand why pet insurance cost are increasing.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: annerimmington
I guess the solution would be to put aside money each month into a high interest account to pay for future vets bills.
There's another problem  Wink
Fixes: 47

This is one of the main reasons why I won't have a dog or cat.
My two overgrown goldfish don't really come into the equation. Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

We had 3 cats whose lives totalled 40 years. When the last one had to be put to sleep at 17 years we decided that was it as next one could outlive us.
We now have a good laugh at neighbours cats with no responsibility.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Also added to the cost is leaving your pet(s) at the local cattery or Dogs home when you go on holiday.
If I had a pet with all these costs I would not be able to afford a holiday !
Fixes: 125

This is exactly why I'll not have any more pets. Also add in the restrictive value of not being able to go away when and where you want.
SWMBO misses her dog back in Ukraine and yearns for one here but my foot is firmly down.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still