cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pestered by Virgin Media Advertising

redsetter
Grafter

Pestered by Virgin Media Advertising

Has anyone got any tips dealing with this company's unsolicited mail.opting out of royal mails junk mail isn't an option as its addressed mail.its the large A4 size envelope that doesnt fit in my exterior mail box,leaving the mail exposed to the elements.
I rang them about this and was told to use the royal mail opt out,however as mentioned it doesn't stop letters' that are addressed even the it just states occupier.
They do appear to be among the worst culprits
http://www.stopjunkmail.org.uk/guide/door_to_door_opt_out.php
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Pestered by Virgin Media Advertising

A nuisance, true, but I just put ours straight into the recycling box.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

At the old house every street in the neighbourhood had access to Virgin Cable apart from my street.
Including me and all the neighbours received bright red Virgin Media mail and was very annoying.
Since I've moved house, I no longer live in a Virgin Media cable neighbourhood and still receive Virgin Media mail but only down to once a term and is delivered as a leaflet not addressed.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I get these addressed to  "The Householder".... in an A4 envelope....
so I write a couple of red biro lines across the address panel..... then R.T.S.  ( post office speak for Return To Sender )... and deposit it in those conveniently RED coloured recycling boxes, that  Royal Mail have dotted around...
Still get them... but it is fun to do !  Cheesy
Perhaps R.M. just bin them... but I don`t care... they have handled it twice for the same amount of money ! ....
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

tape each one to a larger sized box with a few kilo's of weight inside and write return to sender on the top of your address they will soon stop sending you personalised mailshots when your costing there mail spam several pounds a time in innocuous junk (my favourite was always stone chips as its totally pointless but nice and heavy not to mention freely available with a stiff brush on the road ....) anything so long as its safe but pointless is good (lots of people use house bricks wrapped in bubble wrap) . but recycling rubbish from your legitimate delivery's into oversized overweight spam return fodder is both a practice and worthwhile venture Smiley  
I got a snot-o-gram from some spam mailing executive the last time I took umberance to the amount of junk mail I had received in this way, the letter was an impolite rant about how his mailing budget had been diminished rather rapidly though receiving several pallets of returned mail that weight considerably more than it should have (I sent him 5+ kilo boxes for every spam mail received) but after being deluged by up to 30 bits of junk mail a day all from the same mailing company I no longer get a single piece off them Smiley
now I just have to get provident finance and aqua to stop sending unsolicited mail Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The Mail Preference Service as its called for Royal Mail delivered junk mail (to which I have subscribed) has some limitations.
I does not effect that junk mail you were receiving before subscribing, therefore if you were inundated with it before hand, you will find little change, except new junk will hopefully be intercepted, but I'm not convinced it does.
Nor does it stop the handful of circulars and flyers that the post-person has to carry with them and are under orders to deliver to every address on the route.
My own opinion is that the MPS is a sop to make the addressee's think they are doing something to save rain-forests being felled for paper making, but in practice everything continues as before.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

yes virgin media are horrific for junk mail, that company has such an agressive customer acquisition program.
The junk doesnt even stop when you there customer either.
At one stage I was getting those big a4 letters or printed leaflets 3-4 times a week.  It is now calmed down to about once a week but still way more than any other company.
itsme
Grafter

Make you wonder why they do it. If going by some of the posters in other sections that BT are so bad you would have thought they have 100% pickup.
Fixes: 123

Am I alone in not being particularly bothered by junk mail?
We put stuff in the bin on a daily basis anyway so no extra hassle in my mind. But bundling it up, repackaging, adding bricks or whatever and going to the letter box just seems like extra work for no real reason Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I collect it, scrunch it up, and use it as fire starter/kindling for burning garden waste on our bonfire.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
not being particularly bothered by junk mail

That's it, it's junk.
That's what bins are made for.
Most you don't even have to open so it's no real hardship just to drop them straight into the dustbin.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

You could always get a briquette maker (for about £10), and convert your waste paper and junk mail, into burnable logs/briquettes and use them to reduce your heating bills.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Why not charter a Virgin Atlantic plane, fill it with a year's worth of cr*p from Virgin Media, then fly the whole package through Branson's letter box on his private Virgin Island tax haven. Someone then might get the point?
Fixes: 123

Or, and this is a bit 'out there' and ''off the wall'...
...you could...

...just...

...bin it Lips are sealed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Thunderclap
Cool Why not charter a Virgin Atlantic plane, fill it with a year's worth of cr*p from Virgin Media, then fly the whole package through Branson's letter box on his private Virgin Island tax haven. Someone then might get the point?

Actually, apart from appearing in ads, Branson has very little to do with Virgin Media - he had a 3% share before the last buyout, I don't know if he still has it, though. Virgin Mediea is currently owned by John Malone's Liberty Global.  Apparently, John Malone's nickname - given to him by Al Gore and of which he is apparently proud - is Darth Vader.
Seems Liberty Global are also pretty universally hated back in the US ..