cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pesky Mutts!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Pesky Mutts!

Anyone got any experience of electronic dog repellents? For the second time in four weeks we've been jumped on by a pair of out of control dogs being walked by two ladies, who hurled abuse at us as if we were doing something wrong when we complained about it. It's getting tedious!
There's something called a Dazer available on Amazon, but it seems to get mixed reviews. Anyone know if this kind of device works?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Pesky Mutts!

Don't know about electronic repellents but a small water pistol is completely harmless and often works a treat (equally a household spray bottle (like a plant spray)), another option is an aerosol that just lets out a 'whoosh' (can get these in Pets at Home or similar - designed for 'training' purposes though I'd imagine a PC type 'spray duster' would do much the same).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Not sure that actually squirting something at a dog would go down well with the owner. They might just wonder what the liquid is and get a bit iffy about it.
Community Veteran

I'd complain to the local authority.  They have a responsibility to investigate.
jmd
Grafter

As a dog owner myself I would not like you use any electronic device - the water pistol is a better idea and the contents are fairly obvious I would think.  However, some dogs love to play with water so it may encourage them!
 I would also look up the name/address of a local dog training person and give it to the ladies walking these dogs.  You do not say what type of dogs they are - if they are large and untrained they could be dangerous to children.  
My dog walks nicely and does not jump up at people and neither do most dogs I meet round here.  It is something you train your dog out of from an early age.  Properly trained dogs are a pleasure to meet and greet.
If you feel that they are dangerous then contact the local dog warden who can offer advice.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Take some video of them jumping at you, the ladies may get worried and leash the dogs.

How's about one of those foghorns on a can they use at football matches ?
Or something similar that emits a startling noise (like the missus !)    Smiley Grin
anniesboy
Grafter

I have a Dazer and always carry it when cycling in France.   It can be effective but the range is short.
I have no qualms about using when being chased by an out of control dog.
Im not interested in upsetting the owner after all if they cant /wont control their dog .
I will take what ever action is necessary.
Community Veteran

Yeeeeees! Or even one of those boxing gloves on a spring thing!
@jmdlp  They were large husky-type dogs, not on leads (although the women said they were "under control" despite not responding to calls to back off). The problem is that it seems that some dog owners regard it as their right to let their animals run and behave just as they want. I appreciate that they should train their animals to behave at an early age, but some don't. Electronic devices are discrete and harmless as far as I can tell. It's whether they actually work?Huh
Community Veteran

@anniesboy..    thanks for that. I might splash out on one.
anniesboy
Grafter

As an aside to this,some years ago .My wife and I were out on or tandem and going up a hill a few hundred or so yards ahead ,was a long haired German Shepherd  standing in the road.
I slowed and prepared to turn around ,when I saw two young ladies sitting on a gate by the dog. Hence I proceed as I pass the dog starts to chase,I stop and say to the ladies if you dont control your dog I will attempt to give it an enema with my pump. 
"Punch line "    Sorry its not our dog they say.
Community Veteran

That rings a bell! Walking on the coastal path round Hartland Point we were joined by a mysterious black dog (not the one from the Pugwash stories!) which decided to adopt us. A bit embarrassing though when it went for some sheep and almost got us into trouble with the landowner (or his wife actually!).
jmd
Grafter

Well, I believe that dogs should be on leashes unless in an open area where they can play or where there is space for other people to avoid them[away from road traffic, livestock] - in other words those two husky type should have been attached to their owners but if they are anything like the husky we meet on our walks I would not want to have one!  This particular husky is on a lead but he takes his male owner for the walk not other way round!  Whenever I meet it I am glad I have a little dog who can still pull but not like that!
Community Veteran

The thing is the "attacks" are not really the dog's fault, just plain dumb owners who've not trained/controlled their dog. As Artmo suggests report them to the local authority with date/times etc.
I've done this once in the past couple of years and the owner (a wine sipping professional) was visited by the police and warned there could be court action. The dog is now kept under control.
If you carry something in a premeditated action to injure the dog you might be prosecuted yourself by the RSPCA for cruelty to animals.  I know it is self defence, but not everyone sees it that way.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I think it is also best to do something before someone gets attacked and maybe seriously injured.