cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personalised car registration plates

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Personalised car registration plates

So what is your opinion of personalised number plates? I used to think of them as a bit of a pretentious ego trip on the part of the owner, what is wrong with the issued number plate for goodness sake.

That was until this happened:

A couple of weeks ago I was chatting to my bowls club captain near where our cars were parked, "Oh!!" I said you have your initials on your car, "was that by luck?" er! "no" he said, the first two letters are my initials, the suffix three are my wife's, I found them quite easily on the DVLA website". I then forgot all about it.

About a week later I was on the DVLA website for an unrelated road tax reason, when I saw a link for personalised number plates, so really out of idle curiosity I had a look - largely to see how the captain did it - ....honest!!...

It looked very easy in fact so, I typed in my initials (I only have two) as a prefix followed by the year code number, followed by my wife's three initials, thinking there would be no way this would be available.

Imagine my surprise when within a few seconds it seems my "ideal" registration was indeed available. I showed to SWMBO who said "are you going to buy it" I responded that I thought that personalised plates were a bit daft and that I wasn't even considering it. But, I left the screen showing, that included a photo of my model of car with the new registration, a canny trick on the part of the DVLA

An hour or so later, SWMBO asked again if I had applied for the plate, adding the irresistible rider "I'll pay half", for the previous hour I had hardly stopped looking sideways at the screen, that was it!!, it took about ten minutes to fill in the online forms and arrange payment. That was last Friday, the certificate of ownership arrived yesterday.

In the event I couldn't complete online since the existing registration is classification C (look in the V5 logbook) which means at sometime during its lifetime the car spent more than eighty days untaxed on a dealers forecourt, this is worthy of an investigation, it won't cancel the change, just take a bit longer - normally around ten days or so, a little longer as I posted the forms using recorded delivery postage which it seems adds another four days -.   

Been looking for a personalised number plate? check out the DVLA site, they claim to have in access of 800,000 available, and have simplified the entire process to a simple DIY online job.

I guess this brings in a fair income to the DVLA as well.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
46 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Personalised car registration plates

So,... there you are , sitting in your car... and driving along... and you have £XXX hanging off the front and back... and the only time you see it is when you are walking to your car.... you don`t see it whilst driving... and you don`t see it when its parked up at night.. and you don`t see it when you get out and walk away...(* well you may do for the first week or so..... ! )  

And so , to me... a bit of a waste of money... and pointless....because only you, and your missus will "know" the significance of the combination of the sequence of lettering adorning your means of getting from a to b...

The one`s that really annoy me, and the police ... are the one`s that have been deliberately corrupted, to spell out a name ... some very very badly.. and again... what is the point.. when they get "pulled" they will get a fine, and points on the licence.... and of course.. it`s like a red rag to a bull for the traffic cops, and even if you aren`t doing owt wrong,...they will certainly give your car a good looking over, to see if there is anything else they can get you on.. !

Community Veteran

Shutter wrote:
So,... there you are , sitting in your car... and driving along... and you have £XXX hanging off the front and back... and the only time you see it is when you are walking to your car.... you don`t see it whilst driving... and you don`t see it when its parked up at night.. and you don`t see it when you get out and walk away...(* well you may do for the first week or so..... ! )  

In the same category as those who have elaborate tattoo's on their backs I suppose, except by two mirror contortions they can never see them.

But I take your point though.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Note to moderator.

Exactly how do you do a quote in the new format please.

Community Veteran

when you want to quote from a previous response... use the reply button on that response... then use the Quote button at the top right of the text box that you type your reply in... this will quote the full post... then just delete all that you don`t want  to appear in your response...  Wink

(ps.... I am not a mod   ! !    Cheesy )

Fixes: 121

Click on Reply in the post you wish to quote from then click on Quote. Edit the quote as necessary.

Edit: shutter beat me to itWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Other than doing it manually you can only quote the post you reply to by pressing the Quote button on the top left

Community Veteran

Wow!! which one of you gets the brownie point?

Thanks though.

Fixes: 47

Personally I'm not too bothered by personal number plates.

However I do agree with shutter about plates that don't conform to the DVLA standard layout and the use of carefully positioned fixings to alter a character on the plate.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Me. !   I was first  !  Grin

Fixes: 121

He did ask a modTongue

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Can you take an half point each:Undecided

Community Veteran

But back to the thread...

I agree though with Shutter and Strat about plates that are obviously deliberately obscured. These often defeat ANPR cameras and Gatso's etc. or at least that is often the intention if TV programmes like Motorway Cops and others like it are to be believed.

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I followed your procedure, and found several suitable plates at £250.

Now, would I rather have the plate, or 2500 miles' worth of fuel?

Definitely the latter!

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Oldjim wrote:

Other than doing it manually you can only quote the post you reply to by pressing the Quote button on the top left

S'funny, you say top left, Mav says top right and shutter didn't mention the position at all.

I suspect a bit of judicious crawling is called for to get the pointRoll eyes