cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanent Speed Camera Installation Regulations

Fixes: 47

Permanent Speed Camera Installation Regulations

No this is not another grumble about speed cameras.
I live near the A61 and a few months ago a Gatso type speed camera pillar and electrics was installed at the side of the road but no camera box was fitted.
What I was wondering is why the camera box was not fitted at the same time. Is there a period of 'grace' between installing the camera support and actually fitting the camera box.
The potential Gatso is located a few yards south of a lay-by frequently used by a police mobile speed trap until last year.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
12 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: Permanent Speed Camera Installation Regulations

Maybe they put up the support but couldn't afford the Gatso?

Thank you for your observation but considering they pay for themselves within a year a temporary loan from Northern Rock to cover installation costs shouldn't have been a problem.

I'm still confident someone has the answer. Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

OK. Strat !..... try this next time you are a passenger in someone elses car....... get a good conversation going, then notice a 40 mph speed limit sign, or road narrows, endof dual carriageway.... it doesn`t really matter.... left turn  right turn  hospital    A&E sign.... something you notice as you are driving along, then out of the blue    say to the driver........ what was the last roadsign you passed?    bet he/she can`t tell you......!  Embarrassed
So they put up the GATSO pole...... people say  Hah!    speed camera going up there..... three weeks later.... still no camera..... six weeks later everyone sees the pole...... but don`t see the camera on top and    FLASH  !    Gotcha ! Cheesy
techguy
Grafter

Probably bang on there Shutter.

I should have known better than to ask a sensible question with you lot about Roll eyes
techguy
Grafter

I'll do a bit pf googling and see what I can find out for you, however chances are our resident Google master (pierre) is already on the case.
Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: techguy
Probably bang on there Shutter.

Try it ...... and see..... I have done it many times.... and can`t think what the sign was!!!.... Just seem to drive on auto !  see sign , register, action , pass, next sign, see, register, action, pass, next........................
Community Veteran

@Strat
Some local authorities are stopping funding for speed cameras. Perhaps your local authority is considering this too and therefore are not completing that installation until they have made a decision
@Shutter. I am familiar with the "what was the last sign we passed" test. It often used in advanced driver training. I would think most drivers would not be able to achieve that over a prolonged period of time or on demand.
What interests me is that thousands of people get caught for speeding and obviously didn't see the big yellow camera and the road markings.
They must never see road signs at all!
Community Veteran

Yes.... I think there are a lot of people who only see a gap in front of their car, that must be filled by .......      them !... Cheesy
I also think it is quite funny when you see the white circle with the diagonal black line, indicating "national speed limit applies"  and underneath it a speed camera sign....... as if to say    "go on...... I dare you !"  Grin

Quote from: Santiago
@Strat
Some local authorities are stopping funding for speed cameras. Perhaps your local authority is considering this too and therefore are not completing that installation until they have made a decision

Sheffield City council.......Hmmm it's certainly a possibility. I'll check.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

never mind the rubbish the other said have a read of this http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1376
pierre_pierre
Grafter