cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People power

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

People power

In our local village, that has a well used high street, in a length of maybe just a bit over 250 yards boasts no less than eight restaurants (including one very popular Japanese) a Chinese take-away and one of the best fish chip shops in the area.
Recently, the only bakers (family run for many years) in the high street closed down, in all honesty it was fairly badly managed and often used to run out of bread by 10:00 in the morning.
A proposal was submitted for a take-away Kebab outlet to replace the bakers. Firstly the chip shop is run by a family of Turks and is very popular, they also have Kebabs on their extensive menu. Secondly it was felt by many local residents that the last thing this fairly genteel village needed was yet another food outlet, especially one that was very likely to cater for after pub hours traffic with all the mess and noise that would likely cause. 
A petition was started (which I happily signed) and I am happy to report the Kebab take-away proposal has been rejected on the strength of local feeling. A well known chain of bakers (Simmons) has applied to take over the vacant shop.
Excellent, so it can be done...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: People power

Has it gone to appeal yet?
Edit: 200m up a road a well know Pizza chain wanted to open a takeaway. It was a change of use from a shop A1 to a takeaway A5. Originally it was turned down because of local opposition and other grounds to do with flue(smell) and parking. On appeal the rejection was overruled.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Sorry dude, but in five years time your genteel little village will be home to a Tesco Metro, a Subway, a Starbucks, a Bar One, a  Wetherspoon, a Poundland and a Costas. And parking charges. It's what happens to every street in the land.
WTF
Grafter

You're not wrong - our village is only lacking the Wetherspoons, Poundland and Subway - though our Tesco's is medium size, not a Metro (and was built in the face of massive local opposition, apparently - before my time).
Friends from abroad are always amazed how unmitigatingly uniform British shopping is - they ask where's best to go and are amazed that it makes so little difference as it's the same shops everywhere  Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@itsme, you'll have to forgive me but I'm getting my information second hand from the butchers shop next door to the vacant one. But I understand It is the same A1/A6 you suggest. I also understand that a right to appeal has been refused (but this is not confirmed) . On the other hand I'm also told (again subject to confirmation) that if the Kebab outfit wishes to resubmit their application, they cannot do so for one year. Hopefully by which time the proposed bakers will be up and running. There will of course be no change of use issue as it was already a bakers before closure..
I'm sorry I can't be more specific on the legal side. The butchers though (who led the petition) seem entirely happy with the outcome of the council meeting last week.
So fingers are crossed.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yeah once an application has been refused due to local objections its a year before it can be re-applied for, and so long as there was a good mixture of both residential and business opposition (mostly residential signed petitions) then there is no grounds for appeal,
on the other hand a planning application that gets submitted ot build or change something (like a new Tesco store for instance) they apply, posters are hung up on the boundaries of the proposed site advertising the application and who/when/where to raise an objection, then second round consent is sought, any complaints (normally none) are considered and questions will be asked of the complainants (if present to support it) the proposer answers any further objections are considered and discussed then if all matters are suitably addressed (or ignored depending on the situation) secondary consent is given at which time the proposer has 90 days to supply architect's plans, those are then considered at the third meeting on the grounds of local buildings and how they compare looks wise then providing it's in keeping with local surroundings consent is granted and a time period of up to 5 years is given for work to start.
what generally happens is nobody complains until an announcement is made in the local rag announcing the upcoming disruption to traffic as works commence at which point crowds form to try and prevent the development from happening, such last minute action generally fails because its outside the chain, when it does succeed its normally because a planning alteration has been requested to change something on the original application and so the whole things gets held up with legal proceedings.....
of course once the initial 3 months of advertising are up if there are no complaints the proposer can attend the meeting with the plans and scale models and so long as the committee is happy can be granted consent for an immediate start, but often there are several levels of planning consent to achieve, i.e. parish, town &county council committees although things can be sped up by having combined meetings particularly where there has been no registered opposition.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
RichAllen
Grafter

They've just opened a new Aldi and Iceland not far from me in Sheffield, Iceland might do OK but I think Aldi will be destroyed by the nearby Tesco, which has more parking spaces etc.
Roberto0151
Grafter

I suspect that Aldi may do well. Our nearest Aldi is next door to a gigantic Asda but is usually very busy - not surprising when you look at their value for money. If they don't have what you want you can always pop in to Asda to top up.  Smiley
myredhotcar
Grafter

Tesco's war with Denmark:
>
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Quote from: RichAllen
They've just opened a new Aldi and Iceland not far from me in Sheffield, Iceland might do OK but I think Aldi will be destroyed by the nearby Tesco, which has more parking spaces etc.

Think you will find its Aldi will be doing the destroying so to speak , they are going from strength to strength
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2437616/Aldi-reveal-double-annual-profits-40-6-sa...
Having never done any shopping at Aldi , i went in a local one the other week that had a refit , the quality of some of the stuff in their specially  selected range is on par if not better than others and between 30 to 50 % cheaper in some cases , i was amazed
Regards
Mike
Mike