People are what they are

A bit like some Sheffield pubs on a Saturday night Roll eyes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7718587.stm
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: People are what they are

might as well be footie supporters for all the reverence they're showing.  love thy neighbour?  fat chance.
Fixes: 47

That's life Roll eyes
BTW I've just had my legs slapped for posting a live link in another forum something that is quite common here. Embarrassed
jmd
Grafter

When I went to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in jerusalem 13 yrs ago I thought it so silly that each part of the Church was looked after by a different group.  I also found it to be a place where I did not feel reverent or anything in fact!  I found other religious sites much more meaningful - especially the Garden Tomb site.
The situation with the Greeks and Armenians though is historical, due to politics not faith.

@Josie
I used to visit another 'place of worship' some time ago.
During one evening two families started complaining about each other loudly.
At the time I thought to myself this is not in the spirit of the place we were in but it served to illustrate that people are what they are regardless of the circumstances.
techguy
Grafter

I am what you may call a lapsed Roman Catholic (don't worry, I don't carry a Bible, I don't quote verse and I don't attend church) however, I do believe in the central message which is that human beings should care for one another and so frankly these monks aren't following their faith anymore than one of these nuts that blows themselves up on the order of some radical cleric who gets off on the fact that people will do what he says without question.
Franjly, these monks should be thrown out of their churches for their behaviour in what is supposed to be one of the most Holy places on earth.
To be honest though, I think all church organisations are self serving, while I do pray, I have no time for the church organisations because of what has been done by people in the name of religion over the years along with the fact that every priest I've ever met seems to be doing it more for the free house and car and then of course there's the animals whose deeds were covered up.
So my focus is on trying to help those that need it which I believe is the core message of all religion, not on going to church every Sunday to listen to someone whose words are just that.
When I reach the pearly gates, I just hope St. Peter agrees.  Smiley
James
Grafter

My girlfriend's a practicing Catholic, in that she makes it to Mass on most Sundays, when she's not in a Heathen mood (ie: likes her bed a little too much).
I went to a Church of England boarding school, which meant chapel twice during the week and every 3 out of 4 Sundays.  I don't have any specific religious beliefs though.
What annoys her is the holier than thou approach that some people take just because they go to church and yet are no better than so many people with the attitude and behaviour they exhibit.
techguy
Grafter

My work prevents me from attending church on a weekend anyway and 8 years at a Catholic secondary school (did my secondary education then a couple of GNVQs then went to work there for a year) convinced me not to bother with the church and yes partly for the reasons your girlfriend states as people seem to think that going to church and confession is like pressing reset on your PC and clears you to do what you want because you ca\n reset again next Sunday.
I did think about trying to go to be confirmed but after hearing about this I don't think I'll bother.
Community Veteran

As someone who does attend church most weeks, I actually agree with a lot of what has been said.  There's no benefit in going to church, unless it's as a time set aside to praise God with fellow believers, and a time to improve your understanding of His word.
To quote Terry Pratchett, anything else is "just being nice ... and a way of keeping in touch with the neighbours".
Unfortunatley the behaviour of some Christians does more harm to Christianity than any athiest could achieve.  In the Salvation Army, we have a saying "Too heavenly minded to be any earthly use" to describe someone who is so caught up in being "holy" for it's own sake, that they can't see the work that needs to be done around them.
On the point of confession, my understanding is that it's a pointless exercise without genuine regret for the wrong being confessed.
John
techguy
Grafter

Hi John
Think you got exactly what I was meaning, more important to practice what is taught than to pay lip service to it.
N/A

Strat - didn't know about the thing regarding links to other forums - is that not allowed?
With regards to the religious theme of this thread I was a Quaker for quite a few years, and still find that it is a big part of my thinking.
However, it is not an easy path to follow and throws up conflicts at times, although nobody ever said that faith was easy.
It needs thought, discipline and practice, otherwise it would not be faith at all.

30 years ago I married a lovely Indian lady and subsequently did what is generally regarded as 'converted to Islam' in that I applied to and was accepted by the Ismaili community. I attended Jamat Khana quite regularly until my wife died. Since then I have not attended for a couple of reasons.
Islam gets a bad press but what I did learn was that Islam means peace, friendship, harmony and goodwill to all persons whatever their faith.
The people that perform acts of terror in the name of Islam are not acting in the name of Islam.
I don't have to go to 'church' to be a good person and 'church' is unlikely to make a bad person good.
As the title says People are what they are

@Poppy
I posted a live link in another forum I visit and the rules of that forum ban the posting of live links unlike here at Plusnet where it is quite common.
Although people have complained about links to Youtube....
It needs thought, discipline and practice, otherwise it would not be faith at all.

The Shia Imami  'division' I belong to is a more relaxed sector of the Muslim faith headed by the Aga Khan to give him his more well known title.
N/A

Glad to have the link thingy sorted - thought that it sounded a bit heavy-handed for our forum.
Your division of the Islamic faith sounds much more peaceful and gentle than the ones that we see and hear about on the news. The main concern that many people have with the faith is its attitude to women. However, I do agree about the general tenets of Islam being about peace and respect. It puzzles me when I read about contradictions to this.
techguy
Grafter

I think the trouble is when people follow religion blindly, that is to say, when they don't temper what they are being told with common sense.
For example, if someone told them to walk off a cliff in the name of.... and they did it.
People like Bin Laden know that there are lots of people like this and so they exploit it for their own ends.