cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pensioners in Prison

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Pensioners in Prison

Program on the other night about the number of pensioners in Prison with this group having more going to Prison than any other group.
Must admit I would rather be in Prison if it was a choice between that and having to be sleeping out on a park bench due to being homeless.
The thing that surprised me the most was how cheerful some of these pensioners seemed to be and accepted they had done wrong so should be in Jail apart from one chap who had been caught smuggling cigarettes into the country and got 12 months jail, seemed unfair as this was his first offense. 
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Pensioners in Prison

As you say some of them could end up with a better lifestyle than they had before.
When I was growing up we had a local tramp and in the winter the police often put him up in their cells for a night.
Community Veteran

We had a local tramp as well, the farmer who did an egg and potato round often told us the tramp would sleep in his Hay loft.
Community Veteran

Someone I used to know years ago said he was stranded once in a town miles away from home. He went to the police who didn't want to help until he threatened to brick their window. At that point they volunteered to let him have a cell for the night just so they didn't have the inconnenience of a broken window.
These days they wouldn't even help you out if you did that. Mind you, come to think of it plenty of plod stations these days don't even have their cells open anymore. They're still physically there but no staff to operate them.
I can't say I'm surprised at the elderly being jailed though, think about it. Care home and lack of care or jail where you get 24/7 security, hot food, excercise, rights, care etc. Seems like a no brainer if you ask me. The government continue forcing more and more people to turn to crime to survive then slate them for being criminals while giving them rewards that the innocent will never get. There is no deterrent in prison it seems.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

Prison preferable? I'd rather kill myself.
Fixes: 47

That's illegal Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Razer
Prison preferable? I'd rather kill myself.

Quote from: Strat
That's illegal Undecided

Indeed, he might end up in prison for trying  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

Haha. Funny thought. (Suicide isn't illegal btw.)
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: gleneagles
apart from one chap who had been caught smuggling cigarettes into the country and got 12 months jail, seemed unfair as this was his first offence. 

It was the cannabis he was selling that put him inside as a couple of thousand cigs is not a lot - we bring 3,500 in at a time quite legally.