cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penalty shoot-out

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Penalty shoot-out

I'm not a fan of football, but had relatives around yesterday who wanted to watch the Chile-Brazil game so got caught up for a couple of hours in the world cup.
It struck me as being quite absurd to play for the requisite amount of time, then extra time for the winner to be decided in such a way.
I was trying to think of any other high profile sports that the result is decided in such a manner.
My suggestion of having the penalty shoot-out at the beginning, then you can dispense with the game was not appreciated Cheesy
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Penalty shoot-out

I'm not a football fan but did watch the match last night. It was an exciting match. The penalty shootout was nail-biting. I don't see how else a result could be reached Undecided
Fixes: 101

Cricket can have a bowl off, baseball has a sudden death innings... It's better than playing until next goal wins Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

In tennis we have the tie-break. Before it was introduced there had to be 2 clear games between the players so matches could go on for ever.
TORPC
Grafter

Either way it's a load of ball's Tongue  Cheesy
Where is the shuttle ??  Grin
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
In tennis we have the tie-break. Before it was introduced there had to be 2 clear games between the players so matches could go on for ever.
For men the longest game before the tie break was introduced was 6 hours  22 minutes, which was a Davies Cup match featuring McEnroe. There have been 3 matches longer than this with the Isner vs Mahut at Wimbledon  topping the list at 11hour 5 minutes.
When looking at the 30 longest games for men only 3 matches feature before the introduction of the tie break. So the conclusion is that the tie break have not reduce the time matches last unless you apply it to the last set.
Fixes: 47

In Snooker there is the re-spotted black.......a bit like a penalty shoot-out.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Bowls can have an extra end(s) to break a tie. Actually I think most sports have a way of doing so, even darts (a sport?) probably has a way out of a tie.
Only races past a winning posts F1, horse, athletics etc. seem to be able to achieve a dead heat result after much consultation of photo-finishes, and they are pretty rare..
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 121

I think in darts the only way to have a tie is when throwing to see how goes first Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

Thats a bit of a sharp statment Cheesy

Yeah, but did you get the point?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

TORPC
Grafter

It fell short & stabbed me in the foot Cheesy
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
In Snooker there is the re-spotted black.......a bit like a penalty shoot-out.

I am sure their will be many a spectator cueing up around the corner to see that happen Cheesy

I simply balk at the very idea Wink

TORPC
Grafter

I'll get back to with a response, after I've had a nap on that Tongue