cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penalty Point!!

Community Veteran

Penalty Point!!

New rules come into force today that allow Police to issue fixed penalty fines for a number of driving offences, as well as the driver getting 3 points on his licence. Tail-gating and driving in the middle lane of a motorway are 2 such offences covered.  The fixed penalty fine will be £100 and this will also be the increased level of fine for some existing offences.
I wonder how effective this will be with the lack of Police presence on the roads Undecided
Penalty
39 REPLIES
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Penalty Point!!

Not very judging how long texting has been illegal. From Wiki:
"Any use of a hand-held mobile phone or similar device while driving, or supervising a learner driver, is illegal. This includes when stopped at traffic lights. The only exceptions are emergency calls to 999 or 112."
Community Veteran

I was driving on the M1 the other day and passed a Mercedes sports car in the middle lane driving at about 60mph and looking a bit "random" from behind so I didn't waste time alongside.
Glancing at the occupant as I passed I saw it was a young woman talking animatedly on a mobile phone held in her right hand and not even looking at the road. She was leaning forward and looked like she was arguing with someone.  Crazy
I got well away from her ASAP. Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

IMO there has been a massive increase in people using mobile phones at the wheel. I guess most of them know they will get away with it.
If I need to use a phone in the car it's always bluetooth.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

On the London TV News last night they mentioned that there will be a campaign for the next couple of weeks against cars that stop in the cycle boxes at traffic lights (£100 fixed penalty) and cyclists jumping red lights (£50 fixed penalty).
As a pedestrian I would especially welcome the latter to be rigorously enforced. Increase the number of officers and thus increase safety, reduce unemployment and increase revenue for the exchequer. What's not to like.
I was baffled by the justification for the penalty for the motorist being twice that for the cyclist. Something about a car causing more damage in an accident. But the offence is committed while standing still so no injury can be caused directly. The cyclist racing through red lights on the other hand can cause serious damage to a pedestrian and may force a car to take avoiding action and thus cause a vehicle accident.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Glad to see they are finally going to start charging cyclists. They used to be a great danger when I used to commute to work. Jumping red lights or not even stopping for them.
Community Veteran

When I was a regular pedestrian in London I always carried a strong large (Samsonite type rigid plastic) briefcase that was usually full and heavy with papers.
It was very useful as a "shield" against taxis and cyclists ignoring the rules of the road, especially at crossings.
Taxis generally would stop or swerve away as any bodywork damage (such as a broken headlight) puts them off the road until repaired, though some were not that clever.
Cyclists (apart from the ever-reducing number of polite and considerate ones) generally "lost".  Lips are sealed
Of course if anyone did hit my briefcase I immediately offered to call the police, strangely no-one ever waited around while I did that.  Wink
Razer
Grafter

Roll eyes
Glad to see new penalties for drivers. Shame they are not more active in penalising drivers for using mobile phones (typical drivers!) while in 'control' of their cars.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

We are quick to condemn those who use hand-held mobile phones while driving.  Like HPsauce we all have our own horror stories - I have certainly seen many ghastly examples for myself.
So let's hear NOW from anyone who thinks they can justify putting other road-users lives at risk by their own selfish actions.
Let them tell us why their own phone calls or texts come before anyone else's safety on the road.
Come on - we're waiting to hear from you!
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
On the London TV News last night they mentioned that there will be a campaign for the next couple of weeks against cars that stop in the cycle boxes at traffic lights (£100 fixed penalty) and cyclists jumping red lights (£50 fixed penalty).
I was baffled by the justification for the penalty for the motorist being twice that for the cyclist. Something about a car causing more damage in an accident. But the offence is committed while standing still so no injury can be caused directly. The cyclist racing through red lights on the other hand can cause serious damage to a pedestrian and may force a car to take avoiding action and thus cause a vehicle accident.

I have to agree with you.  Cyclists should be charged the same amount if they commit the same offence.  Cyclists have to be more accountable for their actions.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I don't use a phone when driving. It normally lives in my pocket (impossible to reach there while driving) so if someone rings they'll just have to let it keep ringing or try again later. I'll often pull over and return the call if I need to. Sometimes if I'm expecting a call I'll put the phone in the pocket next to the seat so I can press the answer button and then I'll speak hands free but being HONEST about it (unlike many drivers) I find it a distraction and I don't like doing it.
The reality is, talking on the phone (to your ear or hands free) and talking to a passenger are both distracting. While you're thinking about your conversation you can't concentrate as well on your driving.
I'd like to know how this lane hogging will be enforced though..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Perhaps it would be more effective if people caught driving/cycling while using a hand held phone received a fine of £100 + 3 penalty points + an ASBO banning them from using a mobile phone for 6 months.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: AlaricAdair
banning them from using a mobile phone for 6 months.

Not sure how that could even be enforced given that PAYG mobiles are so cheap and virtually untraceable.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No mention of Lorry drivers hogging the middle lane for miles when trying to overtake another HGV, I take it these fines will also apply to them.
They should also make it a legal requirement for cyclists to have a bell or other warning instrument on their bikes and use it when cycling in areas where pedestrian's are walking. At one time it was an offense  to ride on the pavement but now it's actually encouraged in some areas.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Nowt wrong with overtaking and THEN RETURNING, which is what most lorry drivers do, even if they do take miles to overtake. It is the MLO that will just stay in the ML even when there is miles of open road on the inside.
Also the outside lane hoggers should be banned as well. On a 2 or 3 lane road they stay on the outside lane, even when they can clearly pull in easily.
When I used to travel 10's of 1000's of miles a year on business, I used to HATE driving in the UK, only Belgium was worse for lane discipline, they expect to be undertaken there  Crazy