cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pen Pals

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Pen Pals

Remember when pen pals were all the rage? did you have any? do people still correspond with pen pals?
I had three, one a guy in Sydney Australia with a similar interest in all things aviation with my reports of visiting the viewing areas of nearby London Airport (later Heathrow) when they still had them, and air-shows I used to avidly go to. His contribution being tales of daring-do of the Flying Doctor in the outback.
I fell hopelessly and eternally in love with the photograph a girl in Boston USA, we used to exchange everlasting betrothal to each other, only waiting until we left school when we could elope and be forever on cloud nine, steamy stuff. That the photograph was not of her but a minor bit-part actress I discovered later mattered not at all since the photo I sent her of me was of a young male model (no not Roger Moore). This fizzled out when I received a terse note from her mother asking me to stop sending letters to her 11 year old daughter.
The third was to a fellow musician who would later become my best-man when I married for the first time, but I've never heard from or met him since.
These book length missives were of course written with a nib and ink (remember those) a mostly lost art these days.
Ah happy days..
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Pen Pals

Happy days indeed, Petlew, but you've revived a bittersweet memory...
In my early teens, I corresponded for over a year with a girl in Dublin. We exchanged long letters, and looked forward to the day when perhaps one of us would have the means to travel to the other's country.
Then, out of the blue, came the final letter, in which she said that the correspondence had to stop, as her parents had forbidden her to write to a Protestant boy in EnglandCry
It was a devastating way to be introduced to religious intolerance.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

When I was around 15/16 my older brother married a nurse working over here, who hailed from Cork in Ireland.
It was only much later on that I realised why there was so much opposition to the marriage from both sides. She from a staunchly republican Irish extended family, we C of E. Most of her family didn't attend. Come to that a lot of ours didn't either. For a very short while I "went out" with her sister.
To their credit, the happy couple celebrated their golden anniversary a couple of years ago. She though even after all this time is not spoken to by some parts of her family.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 105

what are these 'pens' you speak of?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Where sheep are kept.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I think he's talking about the Wacom e-ink range but I prefer to use a small needle tip stylus on my notepad......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 125

Ahhh, thanks for the memories of happy conversing back in the early 70's. Excitement of receiving reply in the post was abundant especially when the envelope was pink, smelled of perfume, contained a photo and was from a rather beautiful Swedish Pen-friend. I also had a German male and a French girl. I am certain there were others but it was over 40 years ago.
All but the French girl wrote in English. I remember one day, in my early innocent teen years, approaching the young French student we had assisting at school and asking if she could help with my French letters! At the time I couldn't quite understand why she seemed taken aback at such a simple request Cheesy
Today's instant messages are great but it never beats the anticipation and excitement of finding a letter with a foreign stamp on the welcome mat by the front door Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

When I was at school my class contacted a class in a town with the same name as ours in America.  I corresponded with an individual for about 2 years and then we just stopped - don't know why.

Quote from: artmo
...and then we just stopped - don't know why.
Same here, don't know why things just stopped. Maybe a letter got lost giving the impression that no more contact was wanted - at least, that was what I told myself when I didn't get a reply from one girl after sending a photo of myself Cheesy

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Ahh! basic error, sending a photo of your real self Shocked

One lives and learns Wink

Community Veteran

About 35 years ago we had a young Brasilian chap called Miguel stay with us for a week. He was in York to learn English and actually stayed with one of our neighbours. They had a weeks holiday so he stayed with us for the week they were away. After he left us he went on to work for 2 years at Moorfields Eye hospital in London.
He got on well with us. My wife kept in touch with him via letters and postcards. That moved on to faxes and then email. Soon we were sending each other photos via email.
I retired (took early retirement) in 2001 and a year or so later we decided to go to Brasil for a retirement holiday. Miguel prepared a list of places for us to see culminating with a few days with him and his family.
This would be the first time we had met since he went to London about 25 years earlier.
Since then, we meet every year in France for a weeks holiday. We returned to  Brasil about 4 years ago for a month's holiday with Miguel and his family. He subsequently celebrated his 60th birthday in Paris along with his family and closest friends. He has returned to York a couple of times and stayed with us.
We next meet is in Provence in July - the first time we've not met in Paris!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We next meet is in Provence in July - the first time we've not met in Paris!

Ah yes.... the constraints of financial circumstances...... stay somewhere cheaper than Paris ! !  Grin
Community Veteran

Etap's are cheap enough - even in Paris!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I have a Nigerian Princess who writes to me. She's trying to find a way to release a fortune to me. Sadly she's a widow whose husband died in a plane crash...
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.