Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peace Agreement

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Peace Agreement

Well all reasonable people fully support the peace agreement in NI apart from a few hotheads on either side but what’s this got to do with Biden .?

In other words when is a threat not a threat despite denials from the US.

Enough problems for them to sort in the US without making veiled threats to the UK.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
33 REPLIES 33
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Peace Agreement

From the BBC NEWS website..https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57433296

There is "complete harmony" on the need to solve trade problems in Northern Ireland, Boris Johnson has said following his first face-to-face meeting with US president Joe Biden.

The two leaders met in Cornwall on the eve of the G7 summit.

Mr Johnson said the US, UK and EU all wanted to protect the Good Friday Agreement.

Earlier, Mr Biden warned that the UK- EU dispute over border controls should not "imperil" the peace process.

During their meeting, the two men also established a taskforce to re-establish travel across the Atlantic, after the US banned most British people from entering at the start of the pandemic.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Interesting the Eire was not included in the above ( apart from the minor point that Eire is a member of the EU )

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Let's see how Ireland feels when they lose the advantage of lowest corporate tax rates when the major global companies start having to pay taxes to the countries where their billions are earned from.

Perhaps they'll realise on which side their bread is buttered when the cash-flow starts dwindling.

Simple solution (yes I know!) would be Eirexit. Laugh

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles wrote:

but what’s this got to do with Biden .?

In other words when is a threat not a threat despite denials from the US.

Enough problems for them to sort in the US without making veiled threats to the UK.

The only reason that seems to be given by the media, is that he is of Irish descent.  I never hear any American supporting England because they are of English descent, and there must be quite a large number of those in the US.  Those whose ancestors hailed form the rest of the UK are quite vocal about it, even to the point of collecting money for the IRA in days gone by.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Like many Americans @gleneagles Biden has got his head in 'the old country' clouds when it comes to Europe and especially when it comes to Ireland. Maybe it's his his age which allows him to forget that the US has literally been bankrolling the south for decades and in doing so stoking the fires of conflict - and that's not taking sides, that's just stating facts.

The north has a long history distinct from that of the south and as far as I am aware Ireland has never in all it's history ever been 'united' and if he or anybody else can tell when that was, well I'll wait.

What's it got to do with Biden? Sweet Fanny Adams in my opinion. 

PS. Also reading he's been having a pop at Putin. What's all that about?

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

PPS.

Am I being misinformed, apparently there is an aircraft carrier steaming up and down the coast of Cornwall.

It's not the Russians again is it? 🤔

shutter
Community Veteran

@Minivanman  No... Its H.M.S. Prince of Wales..... ( daft name for a warship.. !  ( yeah... so is the other one )).

hms pow.png

H.M.S. Prince of Wales, is working up her Air support systems,( landing, taking off, manouvering on flight deck, into hangar, etc ) with Lightning F35 aircraft.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2021/june/09/20210609-f35-prince

And the small fleet... just off St.Ives..

small fleet.png

RobPN
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

PPS.

Am I being misinformed, apparently there is an aircraft carrier steaming up and down the coast of Cornwall.

It's not the Russians again is it? 🤔

@Minivanman 

I heard that 'a carrier' would be stationed in the area on the news a few days ago, and that was confirmed as you could see it in the background on some of the news reports from yesterday, but it wouldn't surprise me if it hadn't already been in the sights of a Russian submarine probably also lurking nearby, 'just because they can'.

RobPN
Hero

@shutter wrote:

... Its H.M.S. Prince of Wales..... ( daft name for a warship.. !  ( yeah... so is the other one )).

@shutter 

H.M.S. Prince of Wales shortens to H.M.S. PoW - let's hope it doesn't come to that in a repeat of the Yangtse Incident (although of course it's the other one which is presently heading in that direction).  Smiley

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Yes, indeed... I know the Yangtse Incident story very well.!...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Given all the extremely high tech equipment on board no doubt it also serves as an offshore early warning system and any shakedown to be done might just as well be there as a sort of double up exercise.

I'll shut up now before confirming I know sweet Fanny Adams about such things. 😆 

RobPN
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

Given all the extremely high tech equipment on board no doubt it also serves as an offshore early warning system and any shakedown to be done might just as well be there as a sort of double up exercise.

You're probably right @Minivanman but IMO it'll just be a willy-waving exercise.

Near the 'top end' of the north coast of Cornwall at Morwenstow there is GCHQ Bude, and RNAS Culdrose is just a very short hop away.

Edit:  Not to mention the radar station a few miles away at RAF Portreath (formerly 'Nancekuke' chemical weapons facility)

Edit 2:  spelling

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I'm surprised it's even there m'self, I thought it would have been halfway to China by now.

RobPN
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

... I thought it would have been halfway to China by now.

See post #9 above Wink

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@RobPN wrote:

@Minivanman wrote:

You're probably right @Minivanman but IMO it'll just be a willy-waving exercise.

Near the 'top end' of the north coast of Cornwall at Morwenstow there is GCHQ Bude, and RNAS Culdrose is just a very short hop away.

Edit:  Not to mention the radar station a few miles away at RAF Portreath (formerly 'Nancekuke' chemical weapons facility)

Edit 2:  spelling

@RobPN 

Lot of classified info there….

A couple of blokes in suits will be knocking on your door shortly….

😉😉😉

We are born into history and history is born into us.