cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Paypal

I Guess those of you who use Paypal will have been notified about policy updates.
Just looking through the list of companies and organizations that Paypal is prepared to release your private details to is astounding, well at least it is to me.
I Can see why some of these organizations might need the details to prevent fraud and money laundering but many of these groups are in other countries and it's a worry they could have open access to your personal details.
I Would welcome the opinion of any current or past users of Paypal on this topic and is it something to be worried about ?
130 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Paypal

I received notification of the changes this morning but haven't had a chance to read them yet.  Will have to get round to it today.
Fixes: 121

I haven't had time to read them yet - will later.
I don't use PayPal that much these days. Don't think I have since money was taken fraudulently last year.
Strangely, I received an email regarding the policy updates to an address long forgotten so suspected it may have been a fishing email. As it happens it was an account I though I had closed 9 years ago and hadn't logged into since 2004. I have now closed it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

In their email it states no action has to be taken:

If you agree to the changes, you don’t need to do anything, because the updates will automatically apply to you. If you don't want to accept the changes, you can follow the steps we've provided on the Policy Update page.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: artmo

If you don't want to accept the changes, you can follow the steps we've provided on the Policy Update page

Haven`t read them, myself.... but I suppose if you don`t agree, there is little you can do about it.... except..... not use the service....
Community Veteran

Exactly.  If you want to use Paypal you automatically agree to the changes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
Just looking through the list of companies and organizations that Paypal is prepared to release your private details to is astounding, well at least it is to me.

Indeed. I've just checked it out and from April they were intending to pretty much share customer data with anyone they wanted - presumably to anyone who would pay them a nice little sum for it.
Stuff that, I have too many other issues going on so I've just closed my account. I don't need the hassle at the moment of my data being passed around the planet.
Weirdly on one of the many confirmation pages they ask you if you're sure and that paypal is the safest way to pay for things online because SELLERS are not exposed to your details... Well I wonder how the hell they get your address for sending things to you then? - I've had many paypal receipts sent to me with my address printed on them with the paypal logo next to it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
Weirdly on one of the many confirmation pages they ask you if you're sure and that paypal is the safest way to pay for things online because SELLERS are not exposed to your details... Well I wonder how the hell they get your address for sending things to you then? - I've had many paypal receipts sent to me with my address printed on them with the paypal logo next to it.

ebay Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

You're assuming those things were bought via ebay though aren't you shutter artmo. Again, you're jumping to conclusions  Roll eyes
EDIT - Corrected name. My sincerest apologies are offered to shutter.
Community Veteran

Erm.....?  Huh Whoo.... ? Huh......... Roll eyes...... Tongue
Community Veteran

Yeah exactly. I wasn't the one judging me and my partner as keeping a car uninsured was I. You lot were.
Community Veteran

Sorry mate.... but I never said anything about ebay, or buying , or  selling...  Undecided
See my reply number 4 above.......  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Oh dear I think he's lost it Wink
Just to put the record straight it was me and not shutter who mentioned ebay. You owe him an apology.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter

If you don't want to accept the changes, you can follow the steps we've provided on the Policy Update page

Haven`t read them, myself.... but I suppose if you don`t agree, there is little you can do about it.... except..... not use the service....

Erm.....?   Huh Whoo.... ? Huh......... Roll eyes...... Tongue

That reply makes no sense to shutters previous comments.

ebay Roll eyes Roll eyes

You're assuming those things were bought via ebay though aren't you shutter. Again, you're jumping to conclusions  Roll eyes

Erm.....?   Huh Whoo.... ? Huh......... Roll eyes...... Tongue

Now look at that from my POV. Artmo is again taking fault with something I've said. I've pointed out that he's making an assumption and then shutter jumps in with all sorts of faces saying things like "Erm ?, Whoo ?" etc. From my POV that is shutter trying to suggest that I'm making assumptions when in fact I was not. I was merely pointing out that artmo had incorrectly assumed all my paypal transactions were via ebay even though I have had paypal receipts through the post with my address on from people I have sent money to.
I apologise to you shutter if I have misunderstood you as you're someone I hold in high regard on this forum however your post, if you re-read it from my POV seemed like an attack. After the previous thread where many of you assumed we had a car that was uninsured and then excused yourselves with "trying to help" I felt rather insulted. I quite clearly told you at the time the car didn't need insuring but the four of you kept on with it as if I didn't understand it.
As for artmo, I'm sure they're probably a good person too however we have a personality conflict that just doesn't go away so no apology offered.
Oh dear I think he's lost it Wink

Another fine example.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

[quote=artmo]Oh dear I think he's lost it  Wink
What !  have you only just noticed  Crazy