cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal question from newbie

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Paypal question from newbie

I think I am going to have to set up a Paypal account to buy a new router on Ebay.
Which is safer in terms of limiting unauthorised charges
Credit card - where I can get a refund from the card company
Bank Account - which seems the most risky
Debit card on an account with a controlled and very low balance (it only acts as a feeder to a higher interest account)
26 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Paypal question from newbie

Use a Credit debit card,  that is what I do.
Fixes: 125

With a credit card you are only covered for amounts over £100 up to £30,000 for the total cost of goods.
Sorry, Oldjim, just realised you were talking about a refund of unauthorised charges. Embarrassed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

When you say limit unauthorised charges, do you mean if Paypal make charges that you've not authorised? If so, they are very good at refunding anything that's not pukka, including goods that are in dispute. Don't use a credit/debts card unless you are making purchases over £100 (card protection not available under that amount, and I do believe that if they are used to feed another payment account they are not liable anyway, the payment account operator is). I personally use a direct debit to my Bank account from Paypal. Never had any problems with them at all in ten years, no unauthorised payments or anything!
EDIT: Actually, using a direct debits also means that you are protected by the direct debit guarantee, which means that any erroneous payments are down to the Bank to refund.
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I am fairly sure that payments on a credit card to paypal are not covered by the credit  card guarantee. They are classed as financial transactions not  purchases.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I normally use Amex for the air miles points, but a lot of people dont like it, but if I buy via Paypal no problem, and they dont charge commission, notify you by e-mail within minutes, the ratailer doesnt get any details of your account and refunds are no problem   Smiley Smiley
Wisties point I  think is correct
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The way PayPal works, is that you agree to buy something on Ebay,... and agree to pay by Paypal.... you then get a "sort of" invoice page (after logging in), which shows your item details and the total price including p&p... and you agree to it....
Paypal then pay the seller, and then go to your bank account to withdraw the money to paypal account...
I use my "current account" with paypal.... and have the credit card as "secondary" payment..... the secondary payment option is "in case" you don`t have sufficient funds/overdraft on your first payment scheme...
I have never had any problems with PayPal.... they always take the right amount of money, and I feel totally confident... Paypal have a "current account" system, so you can see who you have paid, how much, when, and what for... so you can tie that in with your bank account.
as someone said... they are  pretty good in handling refunds too....
one thing not many people know, is that you don`t need to use just ebay... If you want to send some money to a relative, so long as they have a paypal account, then you can use PayPal to do it...
Hope that helps Jim.... Wink
itsme
Grafter

Like other I have been using Paypal many years without any problems and as @nozzer have put in their post the money is taken from my bank account by DD so a little protection there
May find this interesting reading http://whatconsumer.co.uk/tag/section-75/
Community Veteran

Never had any problems with Paypal payments.  When I make a purchase they simply take the amount out of my current account.
@shutter, you're right you can use Paypal for many purchases not just ebay.  You can also transfer money from one account to another and get a good exchange rate.
@wisty, you are correct the credit card guarantee doesn't apply as paying Paypal is a financial transaction.
Community Veteran

Just had an email from Paypal telling me that Domino's Pizza can now be purchased using Paypal. Shocked
nadger
Rising Star

Have used PayPal for 8 years without any problems.
As an aside I got a Nectar card from British Gas and, because I went to eBay via Nectar site, got points for my recent purchase of Grundig Freesat HD box  Smiley
Community Veteran

Yes, there are a lot of companies where you can pick up Nectar points if you go to their site via Nectar.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Thank you all for the feedback.
Next thing to decide is whether to get a 2700HVG and if so new or used  Roll eyes
decisions ..... decisions  Embarrassed
itsme
Grafter

I'm using a 2700HGV, brought from ebay for £15 as an unused item. Not the easiest modem/router to setup as it's geared around being connected to a BT broadband account and until January this year there was not a hack to get the VoIP working.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I use PayPal where I can and never had any problems, They also have a PayPal credit card.  https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/general/PPPlusCC-outside