cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Problems

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Paypal Problems

Recently sold an expensive camera lens on e-bay. The guy paid using Paypay  and the lens was send by special delivery and included insurance.
Royal Mail confirmed the item had gone missing so a dispute was lodged with Paypal. Quite correctly he wanted his money back as it was my responsibility to pursue  a claim from Royal Mail.
Paypal had frozen the money in my  pay pal account so when I paid him back they took payment from my bank account rather than just returning the money he had paid.
Several days later the paypay account was reinstated so I could transfer the money back to my account (which can take up to 3 working days).
The point I am making here is that if I did not have sufficient funds in my bank account I could have easily ended up overdrawn and facing considerable bank charges !
8 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Paypal Problems

What happened about the lens?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Well it's still ongoing. Royal Mail confirm it's lost but you have to wait 10 working days before they will accept a claim and then they have up to 30 working days to deal with it.
The claim was only sent in on Monday of this week along with all the necessary paperwork... copy of e-bay advert, paypal dispute page etc.
My biggest worry is that they lose the claim form as it had to be sent in with the original postal receipt !
Just hope I get my money before christmas.
johpal
Grafter

Sorry to hear about the problem; it is frustrating to have to wait, but surely the purchaser must also be equally patient? Doesn't PayPal act as an escrow agent in these circumstances, holding the money for both parties until the dispute is resolved? As the seller, you will be doubly out-of-pocket if the goods eventually turn up; will the buyer refund the refund? (see also "How honest are you ...)
Community Veteran

Johpal,
That's a fair point you make but one of my concerns is that he would leave negative feedback.
There is also the position of a contract between buyer and seller. As a seller you have not completed the contract until the purchaser has got the item so in this case he has a legitimate complaint.
It also means he would have to wait for over a month for me to get my money to pay him back so he would be unable to purchase similar goods until that happened and if this situation was reversed I would not be happy if someone did that to me.
The goods were send by special post guaranteed next day delivery but the Royal Mail confirm they were lost.
If they turn up three things can happen, he signs for them and pays me for them. He signs and does not pay... that's fraud so I would hand it over to the Police or third the goods are found and returned to me.
If the goods were returned to me I would be a considerable sum out of pocket as e-bay charge 10% on the final selling price plus an insertion fee plus paypal fees, if the goods had to be advertised again these fees would have to be paid again.
johpal
Grafter

@gleneagles
I don't think, under these circumstances, eBay would permit negative feedback; it is a long-winded (but in my opinion, fair) process of sorting out these problems.
That said, I would be more than pleased to have to do business with you, being so considerate when things go wrong!
mentalist3d
Grafter

My biggest worry is that they lose the claim form as it had to be sent in with the original postal receipt !

I hope you kept a copy of the receipt (photocopy or scan) as my brother had lost post and put in a claim, he sent the original receipt, and when he heard nothing back, he tried contacting them but they would not deal with him because he no longer had the original receipt or a copy. In the end my brother lost out and felt that this was a scam by Royal Mail not to pay out for losing his goods.
Community Veteran

I took the precaution of sending the claim by recorded delivery and it has been confirmed they have got this.
Also kept a copy of everything !
so it's now a matter of time waiting to see how long it takes to get sorted out.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
If the goods were returned to me I would be a considerable sum out of pocket as e-bay charge 10% on the final selling price plus an insertion fee plus paypal fees, if the goods had to be advertised again these fees would have to be paid again.

I think that in such a case you can file an ‘unpaid item dispute’ and specify that the item has been returned and refunded. When this happens, eBay will refund you the final value fees, and they'll give you an insertion fee credit if you relist the item and it sells successfully. The buyer won't receive any kind of strike in this case.