cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying double - Really hacked off.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Paying double - Really hacked off.

I went to order a printed copy of the Iraq (Chilcot) Inquiry and they are wanting £767 for the 12 Volume set! Excuse me but I pay my taxes so why on earth should I pay twice, after all my taxes helped fund it in the first place. Ticked off

This is similar to the BBC saying you can download at cost a programme you've already paid for in your licence fee!

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Paying double - Really hacked off.

Could you get a copy through your local library ?

At 12 volumes it must be longer than, War & Peace. !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Tell them you are a veteran and it might be free, just don't mention you are a PN community vetean

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not so sure that is expensive.. 12 volumes, assuming @ 100 pages per volume, 1200 pages. That's around 70p per page. Plus cost of binding etc. 

Though to be honest if I want some bedtime reading I download it. Can you not do this?

Community Veteran

Yes, it can (and will) be downloaded when it's made available after the main announcement but I'm Ticked off because they want paying for something that in my opinion should be free, the only money the Government have is the money they raise from taxes from you and me. So by buying these volumes I'm paying for it twice, having already contributed to the War and those in Office both then and now it just irks me to be asked again.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

tax money paid for the enquiry to take place, not for the cost of someone wanting a copy of it produced and sent to them.
you have the option of getting it for free via download, you are not being forced to pay for anything.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Mook

It will take you some time to read through that lot so to save you time I have summarised what the report says below,

Blair promised Bush that the UK was with America to get rid of Saddam long before any agreement was reached by MP's from that moment on Blair was not interested in any doubts expressed by others that weapons of mass destruction might not exist and emphasis was on reports that indicated they might exist irrespective of any proof.

No thought was given to what the outcome would be if Saddam was removed, now we know.

Unlikely but possible there will be enough evidence in the report to put Blair on trial.

Community Veteran

I don't think there was any mention of anyone being forced, but if I want a printed copy I either have to do that myself or pay for one, as far as I am concerned it should be available for free to a tax payer at their request. But we're all entitled to our opinions, and I'm sticking to mine.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

but to produce the printed version costs money, and if it's to be provided to you for free then tax payers money will be paying it.
why should more tax payers money be used to give you a free book.

Community Veteran

chenks76 wrote:

why should more tax payers money be used to give you a free book.

That's a very fair and valid point and I'll concede to that one, but my point regarding my taxes still applies.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ahem wasn't the war in Iraq?

/coat
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@PeterLoftus - Put your coat down man, you're going no where. OP Edited to correctly identify the conflict in question.