cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal scam

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

PayPal scam

Just received an email. Almost believable...I said almost!!
"Dear асcount holder,
Paуρаl has imρlеmented a new system called Buyer Pгоtеction, your payments using it will be much safег,
you can quickly recover your mоney bасκ if the tгаnѕасtion did not go as you expected .
With the high number of clients who access Paураl and its services via mobile devices this sуѕtem became mandatory.
Until you fix this issue yоur acсоunt is lіmited, we took this decision to protect our clients .
-----------------------------------
What to do next
Please pay attention a minimum of 5 minutes and accеѕs your pегѕοnal page
We may ask you to confirm infoгmаtion you specified when you opened your aссоunt.
This ensures that you are the aссоunt hоlder.
Due dates
Once you have completed all the steps, we will reply you within 72 hours.
The process can be completed in less than 5 minutes.
Other details
Excuse us for the inсοnvenienсе but these few moments will save you many troubles that might occur on future.
If you can not clісκ the lіnk from different secuгіty reasons please coρу & paste it to your browser:"
All links etc removed, in case you are tempted to log in with your details... Grin
6 REPLIES
Fixes: 121

Re: PayPal scam

The first three words would have given it away Wink
[quote=https://www.paypal.com/gb/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ2061&m=HTQ] The email uses a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We'll always address you by your first and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And the last two lines..... also... show a lack of understanding of English Grammar.....

Excuse us for the inсοnvenienсе but these few moments will save you many troubles that might occur on future.
If you can not clісκ the lіnk from different secuгіty reasons please coρу & paste it to your browser:"

The sort of translation an eastern european would attempt to pass off as English...
Razer
Grafter

Have you not listened to Americans? "Write me" and "on accident" are two of the most common things I hear. I think an American at least could easily believe "on future" and "from different security reasons" are valid grammar. Then there is the host of younger UK people who, due to their large exposure to Americans via online gaming, for example, who are coming to speak and spell their English as American English and who would also likely accept such language as valid.
Fixes: 121

But if people took the time to read how companies would contact them then they'd know immediately if the email was spoof or not.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

A dead give away IMO Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I know doris was trying to look out for us all but I too have to say the scam was written in the wording. There are scams like this going round every day so it is nothing new. I get tons of these types of emails every week - I just ignore the entire lot! I can't stop them coming, I can't get the criminals arrested as they'll no doubt be in some foreign country that turns a blind eye. All I can do is accept that they will continue to come and NEVER click a link in an email and then login.
This has been going on for over a decade now so it's most definitely not new!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!