Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal and Guest Accounts - from another Forum

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: PayPal and Guest Accounts - from another Forum

Quote from: nanotm
@2cv
true but a single institute holding your data means when something goes wrong you know exactly who to contact to get it sorted out (and who to sue) it also put you at a huge advantage over someone who gives that info to hundreds of online shops via the guest checkout option

But if you pay by credit card, you have the protection offered by the credit card company, doesn't matter about intermediary companies acting as the online transaction dealer, if there' a problem with a purchase (such as faulty goods, or wrong items sent), then you are within your rights as a customer to have the money refunded when the seller refuses to abide by the distance selling act, all it takes is a call to your CC issuer and they do the rest...
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@2cv,
That's true but not everyone has a credit card, and the majority of credit card companies exempt online transactions from their fraud money back guarantee provisions which makes things like PayPal an extremely useful option (of the few CC's I hold only one doesn't exclude online transactions from it's fraud protection provisions)
I realise this won't apply to everyone but things rarely do.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Regarding section 75 protection, see this guide from Which
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act#link-5
There's further confusion of course in that many retailers use other credit card processing companies, such as Sagepay etc rather than handling the transaction themselves.
Marksfish
Grafter

the fact you take offence indicates you do suffer from a lack of comprehension and would support your indication that you would be of lesser intellect!

I hadn't taken offence to anything, merely put forward my point of view, which as a law abiding, tax paying, subscription paying citizen, it is my right to do. The fact my point of view does not comply with your condescending, holier than thou attitude, with a resorting to personal insult would indicate to me that it is not indeed myself with the lesser intellect.
If you are happy to continue into ever more surveillance society we are all sleep walking into, that is your prerogative. Please don't proceed to preach your ideals to me. You also have a right to make your thoughts known. You do not however have to right to throw abuse at people who do not agree with you.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Re online fraud and credit cards - the law is very clear http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/wm_documents/Final%20KYC%20%282012%20end%20of%29.pdf
Legal protection
All victims of  card fraud have legal protection to make sure they don’t lose out financially. It doesn’t matter if  your card has been used in a shop, online or abroad – you are protected by the Consumer Credit Act.
If  you suspect you are a victim of  fraud, it’s important to contact your card issuer straight away so that they can stop your card. As long as you weren’t involved in the fraud and haven’t acted negligently your card company will refund the full amount (the most you will ever have to pay is £50, although this is extremely rare).
All innocent card-fraud victims are entitled to a refund, including a refund of  any interest or charges on their account as a result of  the fraud. If  your credit card company believes that you were responsible for any disputed transactions, it’s up to them to prove it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

@shutter if you spent more time reading and understanding posts you wouldn't make a chopper of yourself to such a degree and highlight something I mentioned in my first post as if it was something new or contradictory
go troll someone else for a few years you went past boring and onto stale a long time ago

I always report to moderator this kind of posting...... and then... treat it... and the perpetrator with the contempt, it... and they... deserve.