cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal and Guest Accounts - from another Forum

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

PayPal and Guest Accounts - from another Forum

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17116-paypal-actively-blocking-card-payments-for-non-paypal-users/#entry370885
I have been trying to buy an item for the last few days and finally got to the bottom of what is happening - 
1. A manager at PayPal told me that because PayPal & eBay are splitting they are now blocking cards that have been used a number of times via a PayPal guest account, the guest account is created when the buyer just wants to use their credit card without signing up for PayPal account.
    He then informed me that if I signed up for a PayPal account I could continue to make payment with my credit card - so in effect PayPal are attempting to black people into signing up for a PayPal account.
    I asked the manager for above explanation in writing he refused, I asked for his full name and he refused, so predictably I suggested he find a long sharp pointy thing and insert it where the sun dosent shine.
2. I have complained to eBay and have to wait 48hrs for a response. The supervisor confirmed that eBay and PayPal are splitting, and at present don't plan to offer any other payment platform other than PayPal. So in effect they are aiding and abetting the blackmail PayPal are trying to commit.
Who else can I complain to about this, which UK ombudsmen would this come under? When I called my bank, then said they were getting a load of calls from people with this issue but didn't know why until I told them about it.

Another reason (as if we didn't have enough already) to avoid PayPal where ever possible. The irony of all this is it will be costing PayPal and eBay money and customers.

20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: PayPal and Guest Accounts - from another Forum

Coerce, bully, force or twist an arm.. yes but blackmail?
Not like they're threatening to reveal your deepest sins is it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I used to use a similar system to paypal some years back called Nochex, basically the same sort of setup, but buyers don't need an account to use them, just a debit or credit card, it was quite a popular alternative back in the day, but if paypal's shooting themselves in the foot over "guest-account" payments, then they may make a resurgence in the near future with more sellers using it when buyers complain that they can't buy something due to paypal being a pain in the bum...
Still, I have had a paypal account for many years now, so haven't really needed to use it sans-account, so can't really complain myself (though if I decide to start selling some of my stuff off, I may open a fresh Nochex account as an alternative for buyers)... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Never had a problem with PayPal.... been using them for over 7 years..  Smiley
Marksfish
Grafter

They come under the financial ombudsman, but you have to allow 8 weeks from your first contact with them to resolve the issue, or send you a notice of "failure to agree". If you contact them before the time limit is up, they will not look at the complaint and tell you to come back. It is in Paypal's best interests to respond to the complaint as each referral to the ombudsman results in them being fined.
Mark
Community Veteran

As eBay and PayPal are the same company I can't help pasting the notice from the top of my eBay pages.
eBay and PayPal will be separate companies soon.

Why, because "knowledgeable" people on many forums, especially eBays own, have been stating as a fact for many years that eBay and PayPal are separate companies. When obviously they weren't.
I always new that I was right and the other argumentative 99% was wrong. Grin
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

so someone is complaining that they are being refused the option  to undertake card jacking (send things to an unregistered address when purchased online with a stolen card and used via a payment company like paypal) and are being coerced into undertaking safer online shoping options (give your card in once and activate it to a single company and then use the paypal payment system to fund online shopping with multiple vendors) which doesn't happen if you use paypal's guest payment feature ....
some people will never be happy of course but only the truly thick complain about someone trying to force them to act in a safer more responsible way as they are legally required to do under there operating licence!
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Marksfish
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
some people will never be happy of course but only the truly thick complain about someone trying to force them to act in a safer more responsible way as they are legally required to do under there operating licence!

I must be one of he thick ones then!! I have a PP account so it isn't a problem for me, but if I am shopping online and a store insists I create an account to check out, I move on. It has nothing to do with me using a stolen card, I just don't want to give every Tom, Dick and Harry my information for a one off purchase. I don't see creating an account and jumping another hoop as extra security. It is bad enough you have to sign up for Mastercard Secure and Verified by Visa!!
I also have the guest check out option on my account as there are times when people buy from me that don't have a PP account. To prevent me losing a sale because they don't want to sign up and they want to use a credit card, the guest option works fine. So long as the usual security of only having the goods delivered to the registered card address, I can't see a problem.
Mark
nanotm
Pro

@marksfish
the fact you take offence indicates you do suffer from a lack of comprehension and would support your indication that you would be of lesser intellect!
Community Veteran

nanotm.... suffering from verbal diarrhea again..  Cheesy
I agree with Marksfish.... nowt to do with comprehension... ( actually came top of the class at school in comprehension ! )... 
I see no indications of a lesser intellect from his postings either... 
in fact... probably the same statement you have made could be applied to yourself...  especially the latter part of the statement.....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

People don't always trust online institutes to keep data locked away from potential thieves, as everything's hackable when it's on the internet, even paypal, and what better way to keep their bank & credit card details a secret than to not have it stored on some server farm that's probably got hackers battering it's digital back doors every hour of every day... Smiley
nanotm
Pro

@2cv
true but a single institute holding your data means when something goes wrong you know exactly who to contact to get it sorted out (and who to sue) it also put you at a huge advantage over someone who gives that info to hundreds of online shops via the guest checkout option
having looked through my paypal income stream I can clearly see listed lots of "guest user" card details, including the cvc in the email notifying me that the payment was made ........
x47c
Grafter

Well from a consumer protection point of view you'd be better creating an account with the website.
...as if you pay by PayPal and there is later a 'problem' your credit card company will not be interested as you paid an intermediary and not the actual retailer so none of the usual (is it ?S75?) protections apply.
I do use paypal for small purchases from websites - but anything large and it direct pay to the site in question.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
@2cv
true but a single institute holding your data means when something goes wrong you know exactly who to contact to get it sorted out (and who to sue) it also put you at a huge advantage over someone who gives that info to hundreds of online shops via the guest checkout option

@nanotm
So here you are contradicting your previous statement about comprehension...
i.e..  you did not comprehend what Marksfish was saying about not giving his details to all and sundry... yet here you are... stating that it is best not to...
and that bit about lower intellect...    ? ? ?  well,... must be yours then...  
`nuf sed  Lips are sealed
nanotm
Pro

@shutter if you spent more time reading and understanding posts you wouldn't make a chopper of yourself to such a degree and highlight something I mentioned in my first post as if it was something new or contradictory
go troll someone else for a few years you went past boring and onto stale a long time ago