cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pawnbrokers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Pawnbrokers

Have been following the program covering the work of a family of Pawnbrokers and whilst the offer a service which provides customers with instant cash it quite sad to see the number of people who have to use their services just to tide them over until the next pay check arrives.
Must be heart breaking if you have pawned personal items and find you do not have the money to get them back, in which case they are sold or melted down.
14 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Pawnbrokers

My mum used to tell me stories of when dad was a child and his mum had to pawn the bed clothes to get enough money for food.
Xmas present was an apple (an orange if he was lucky)!
Can't imagine poverty like that. But he was always so generous with his money.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Ive also been watching this show, its intresting and sometimes shocking to see people who are really struggling to make ends meet sell what little gold items they have. In the last show i watched some indian lady i think owed around 3 grand, she had promised to return to pay off her debts but she disappeard after telling them her dad was unwell, which you could clearly see was her way of saying im skint.
Anyways they guy give her some time to pay and she never got back to him, it shown you him trying to ring her and all her numbers were dead he also said there was no one living at her addy.
I think he ended up melting down her gold and only making a grand of it, which means he is 2 grand down. But those guys never loose out they always make plenty!
I dont know if u also seen but a lady went in the shop with some gold items and said her friends selling them as shes just lost her job, the lady said she needs about £200, the broker puts the gold on his scales and says its worth £100 thats all.... but the lady says she wants £200.............. then the broker said " ok i shouldnt do this but ill give u £200 " what a load of p1sh why would a broker give £100 away for free.... he clearly tried to pull a fast one on her by offering £100 to start off with.
These guys know what they are doing  Crazy
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

They don't always know what they are doing but I guess they learn from experience for example did you watch the episode where they had given a loan of £6000 on some boxing items but when they came to sell them they were well short of the money they had paid out.
In other episodes they took items to valuers who often said the items were well below what the owners claimed they were worth, one example was a well known make of Guitar owned by someone famous.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Yes i seen that one, the older fella who first opened the brokers said all the boxing stuff when on one wall looked like it was worth somthing. His sons were ripping him because they were not worth anything more than a £1 each.
Did you see them melting the gold items into those loverly little bars, the bars looked so nice lol
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: ukste20
sell what little gold items they have.

The thing is, people like that are lucky to even have a bit of gold. Many people don't even have that (though society likes to pretend people like that don't exist):
Quote from: Mav
My mum used to tell me stories of when dad was a child and his mum had to pawn the bed clothes to get enough money for food.
Xmas present was an apple (an orange if he was lucky)!

Can't say I've ever been in a situation quite that bad but I've been through times that were not far from it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Channel 5 had US based series called Pawn Stars that was quite amusing. People  brought in some amazing items  Smiley
I've been watching BBC programme and even uncle looses out at times.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

...but "Uncle" usually drives a Rolls Royce.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nadger
Rising Star

Thought it's a Bentley  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I remember a story my granny told me, about how poor they were, just after getting married.
my grandad worked in the carriage works at York, and she used to give him sandwiches to take for his break times... two slices of white bread, with a thin layer of brown bread in between, so the other workers would think he had meat in his sandwiches... 
Cry
Community Veteran

Not everyone using pawnbrokers are poor people.  Some well off people use them simply as a means of raising quick money with no questions asked Wink
Steve
Pro

Quote from: Sprite
The thing is, people like that are lucky to even have a bit of gold. Many people don't even have that (though society likes to pretend people like that don't exist):
Exactly, I'm not poor but I'm not well of either and I dont own any gold at all, Never have and never will, I think Its overrated.
Community Veteran

I would imagine most people own some gold even if it's just a wedding ring.  Over time gold has always been a good buy.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Nope, not a single piece. I've temporarily owned a gold necklace and gold ear rings until they were given away but i struggled to afford those!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I had a friend who had a financial interest in a pawnbroker in Manila.  He told me all his clients were well off ladies wanting some quick short term cash.