Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pavement parking

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Pavement parking

I think the government are going to address the issue of cars being parked on the pavement.

Clearly there are alternative opinions on this subject, I once spoke to a policeman regarding cars on the pavement and he said that unless someone had reasons to object, eg blocking a drive or entrance then there was nothing he could do about it.

I always thought it was illegal to park on the pavement but in recent times I have seen people park on double yellow lines whilst going into a shop for a short period and the police have driven past and not bothered.

Seems very antisocial to me as no consideration is given to mothers with prams, some wheelchair users and others who have to step out into the road to get past.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
26 REPLIES 26
Kimberlin
Rising Star

Re: Pavement parking

I wouldn't get your hopes up on this one. In my area, the police and the local Council aren't at all bothered by car owners parking on the pavement. You're right, it is anti-social and the subsequent damage it causes to pavements is bad enough, but the problem arises in housing developments where the streets are just not wide enough to park cars both sides of the road. Many newer housing estates have driveways for nearly every house and so there is an expectation that owners will park their car on the drive. Problem is, lots of houses are now occupied by several occupants all with their own vehicles and so they'll just park anywhere and don't give a stuff about inconveniencing either the Fire Service in an emergency, or wheelchair users etc. I've got several neighbours in my street, some of whom have 4 cars in a single household. It's not going to get any better.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Inconsiderate parking is a problem in a nearby Village with narrow streets, many a time the Wheelie Bins are not emptied due to the Refuse lorry not being able to gain access.

Round here, we would welcome an enforced ban on pavement parking.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

As with a lot of things, some people are over zealous with their views. I live in a road that ends dead at a path into the New Forest. There's no turning circle, but what er call a hammer head, meant to be the start of an extension, which never received planning permission, and now never will. Without pavement parking and cooperation it could be messy, so it is tolerated. IMO, if traffic is impeded by parked vehicles and there is pavement of sufficient width, then using part of the pavement seems eminently sensible.

Quite a large town in Germany, I visited some years ago actually marked the pavement. Sensibly, they also had paid roadside parking, but one was not condemned to pay for two hours for a quick in and out.

Lastly, what about before pavements existed, and currently in rural areas? In both cases people did and do cope, as do I soon after leaving the estate.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Strat
Fixes: 506

In Sheffield the police have been doing targetted visits to areas known for this problem.

Officers from Sheffield South East Neighbourhood found cars parked on a pedestrian crossing, yellow lines and some were even blocking junctions in just one morning.

Several fixed penalty notices were issued along with warnings given to others.

Officers from Sheffield South East Neighbourhood found cars parked on a pedestrian crossings, yellow lines and some were even blocking junctions in just one morning

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/police-team-begins-crackdown-on-poor-parking-on-sheffield-estate-1-89...

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I believe you can be fined for parking on a pavement anywhere.

Where I live, they have marked pavement bays (where you're allowed to park).

As you get nearer the station, it turns into controlled parking. Where you need to have a resident permit.

So what does everyone do? You've guessed it. Park in the nearest bay outside of the Controlled Zone Roll_eyes

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Luzern

But pavements were in place before cars ?

Would you not agree that it's a safety issue ? If people are put in any sort of danger due to cars parked on pavements then surely the priority must be on the pedestrian rather than the car driver ?

I fully accept the point I think you are making is that providing no one is put in danger or an obstruction caused then there is no problem where a car is parked.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gleneagles wrote:

@Luzern

I fully accept the point I think you are making is that providing no one is put in danger or an obstruction caused then there is no problem where a car is parked.

There may be no obvious problem when you park, but minutes or hours later an issue could arise.

It is just selfless and arrogant to park just anywhere regardless of whom it may affect.

Anonymous
Not applicable

atm it is not illegal to park on a pavement in the UK, unless you are causing an obvious obstruction...

However, it IS illegal to drive on the pavement, which of course you have to do in order to park there.

Pavements are for pedestrians, Roads are for cars, and others

Alex
Community Veteran

Well you try telling my council that (I live in a London Borough).
They will issue tickets if you are parked on the pavement that isn't specifically marked with a sign saying you can.

It has been like this for years.
If it is not illegal, then how would a parking ticket stand if you challenged it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Silent Cyclists are perhaps more of a danger.

Coming at you from behind.

Especially in San Francisco & Chicago, where despite laws and signs, on combined pathway / cycle way cyclists think they have the right of way, and get most upset when you don't move !!

Alex
Community Veteran

Yep I agree @Anonymous

There is a road in Central London I know of, which is pedestrianised.

So you walk around it thinking "Ok no traffic it is quiet round here". As you do with those kind of areas.

It isn't. It is a major cycle route. There are cycle lights at the top of the road with the traffic lights. So when the cycle lights turn green (not obvious) you can easily get 30-40 cyclists hear down - at quite fast speeds. I wouldn't like to think if I got hit into one. I would be waking up in a hospital bed I think.

No road markings for the pedestrians.

What they should have is pedestrian lights around that area to say warning don't use that area the cycle lights are green. 

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Anonymous wrote:
Pavements are for pedestrians,

That's only true in the vaguest sense.

For instance the pavements on a main road nearby were widened, a lot. At the time locals were told this made things a lot safer for pedestrians, especially those with sight problems. Move on a few years and now pavements are covered with tables, chairs, and advertising boards. All which pedestrians have to now negotiate. Now more difficult for those with sight problems than before the pavements were widened. Something which has been pointed out to the council in local papers with no real answer. I guess money involved has cancelled out any council pedestrian concern.

Alex
Community Veteran

I'm sure you know and I am not sure if it applies where you live.

Even to have an advertising board, and of course with tables and chairs on the pavement.

You need to have a license from the council and I assume display it somewhere on the premises where it is visible. To me and you not just staff.

I know of shops that display them in the windows.

Strat
Fixes: 506

@Alex wrote:

Where I live, they have marked pavement bays (where you're allowed to park).

But when such a bay is used in the manner shown in the Google Maps image below it turns a 2 way road into a 1 way road.

When the bay is full of long wheel base 'Chelsea Tractors' around school chucking out time, buses have difficulty getting through.

Really annoying.

Bocking Lane.JPG

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)