Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pavement parking

ffox
Pro

Re: Pavement parking

@Anonymous wrote:

atm it is not illegal to park on a pavement in the UK, unless you are causing an obvious obstruction... 

Highway Code rule 244 state that drivers "MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it."

The RAC says If you are parking along a narrow road, where parking wholly on the road would stop other cars, and particularly emergency vehicles, from getting through, then it is a sensible option to park partially on a pavement, providing there are no parking restrictions and providing you are not blocking a wheelchair user or pram from using the pavement.

Makes sense to me.

8BKA
Pro
Fixes: 4

There was a problem with cars/vans parking on the pavement over electricity link boxes these are open points so if there is a cable fault the faulty cable can be back fed from another sub station to restore supplies some also have fuses they are marked ELECTRICITY on the top

The police due to data protection will not advise who the owner is so if no one knows who the owner is the supplies are off longer than  need to be .

BT Openreach has the same problem and the lids been broken.

Brian A

Fixes: 317

@ffox wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
providing you are not blocking a wheelchair user or pram from using the pavement.

What if the mother pushing the buggy had had triplets.A buggy in this situation can be quite wide Wink

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.3 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

When I see Pavement Parking I feel myself reaching for my Jedi Light Sabre ... to slice off the offending portion of said vehicle.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes, @ffox, there was a discussion about this recently on BBC Breakfast (I think), and they stated that parking on the pavement is illegal in London, and Scotland if I remember correctly.  The discussion was about whether it should be so in the rest of the UK.  When Ken Livingstone was Mayor of London he ran a TV ad campaign with the slogan "Pavements are for people" including a clip of a woman with a pushchair trying to get past a line of cars parked partly on the pavement.

Many years ago, after a party, I was given a lift to the station by a retired policeman, and he was horrified that there were so many cars parked partly on the pavement, saying that in his day as a copper they'd all have been given tickets.

Not far from here the council simply painted a white line along the middle of the pavement and classified the area between the curb and that line as street, not pavement, thereby allowing cars to park up to the line.  There is no way that someone with a pushchair or using a wheelchair would be able to use the much narrower pavement; unless they were very slim, I even doubt two people could comfortably pass each other there.

A lesson:  Back in the 80s we had an unfortunate young man from a temping agency working with us and he couldn't find anywhere to park so he put two wheels on the pavement, only to find a ticket for £45 on his windscreen after work.  The amount was about as much as his take-home pay for the day so he'd have been better off not coming to work! Cry

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@gleneagles wrote:

@Luzern

But pavements were in place before cars ?

Would you not agree that it's a safety issue ? If people are put in any sort of danger due to cars parked on pavements then surely the priority must be on the pedestrian rather than the car driver ?

I fully accept the point I think you are making is that providing no one is put in danger or an obstruction caused then there is no problem where a car is parked.

Pavement is a very specific term, but if one uses the term very loosely for somewhere safe for pedestrians to walk ( a path) you may be right Yet suspicion is that, like many things, what may have been ubiquitous in cities and large towns, would have come only later to smaller communities. In the forties not twenty miles from London, not all paths were paved or tarmacadamed , or existed at all.

I have not denied the existence of safety considerations, but I do not think that the original use or purpose of anything is sacrosanct for all time. They have to be adapted to current conditions.

I mentioned rural areas, where paths are absent, pedestrians and vehicles have to be aware, so too in London at stations, where the massive morning egress crosses the road with little regard to vehicles with which traffic has to cope.

Also there are many other blockages  like shop, cafe boards and the like, badly or illegally placed. The motor is not always the evil.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
LouisaMartin
Seasoned Pro

This is a particular issue near me as we live very close to a hospital and on the side streets where the roads are narrow, hospital workers flood the streets with their cars but then also park on the pavement. This then means small children can't bike up and down the paths, as fear of banging into the parked cars. Personally, I would allow my child to ride their bike and if he fell and scratched their car, that's the risk they take by parking there.

These cars are parked there all day every day and nothing is ever done. Personally, I'd prefer the Police to be out catching true criminals however, I do see the argument about people with buggies and prams etc. Not sure what the answer is, short of widening the roads!

The bigger issue in my area is people parking over drives and either blocking cars on the drive or stopping people getting back onto their drives. Then on top of this you have the new problem of people seemingly legally, being able to park ACTUALLY ON someones drive, without their consent! WTH!!!!

Louisa
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@LouisaMartin

I suspect hospital workers park on the pavement as the cost of hospital car parking charges would take a fair dint out of. their salary, no doubt some of these cars belong to patients or relatives visiting the hospital and wish to avoid these charges which in some cases are very high.

I guess it's a fair bet that the CEO or members of his or her senior team do not park on the pavement as they will have reserved places at some special discount in the hospital grounds.

Fully agree with all your other points.

Your final point is interesting sufficient to say that if someone parked on my drive without my permission other than for some good reason I can assure you they would never park there again.Wink

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@LouisaMartin  Cycling on the pavement/footpath is also an offence.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@gleneagles A large potato stuffed up the exhaust, perhaps?Evil

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern wrote:

A large potato

Too expensive a protest for me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yep well cyclists and the law don't really go hand in hand.

Anyone seen a cyclist stop at a red light?

Nope - me neither.