cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pause!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Pause!

Last night I recorded onto my HDD recorder the BBC2 overnight coverage of the Winter Olympics. But only because Mrs P wants to see the skating (pairs) and the actual time of the event wasn't given until a timetable was shown at the beginning of the programme. As it happens the skating started around 02:30, which left a considerable amount of fast forwarding through some of the more boring events (that's only my opinion I'm sure) to the beginning of the skating, where, expecting SWMBO to be soon rising from bed to watch "her" programme.
In the event Mrs Petlew turned over and went back to sleep, which means the HDD has been on pause for a couple of hours now (I'm not otherwise watching the box!!) Which got me wondering, is there a safe, acceptable or technical limit to how long a modern HDD recorder can/should be left on pause? I have to say the machine (Sony) doesn't seem to be in any distress. I suppose my query is prompted by memories of VHS video recorders that could cause damage to video tape and electronics if left on pause too long.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Pause!

wouldnt have thought it would,  Dont remember setting my recorder, but looked last night for a short program on my disc and found the morning one, only 345 mins long Sad Sad Sad
Lurker
Grafter

You are more likely to damage your display than the recorder.
Community Veteran

Some of my equipment automatically switches to stand-by if left on pause for too long.  Guess they all don't do this. Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: James_G
You are more likely to damage your display than the recorder.

Yes I understand that James, although I was under the impression that LCD screens weren't so prone to image burn as the older CRT type? However, as it happens I did turn off the TV, just left the HDD recorder on and paused.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I would expect the picture to be held in memory and the disc heads to park. It's not like with video tape where the heads constantly reread the same piece of tape.
johpal
Grafter

The disk read heads are never in contact with the disk platters, so no wear and tear, unlike the VHS tape, that did physically come into contact with rotating heads. In cases of power cuts, the heads ought to park before the disk stops rotating, avoiding "crashes".
My PVR (Humax) also "remembers" where playback was halted and will resume from that point next time the programme is selected. The machine can be switched off, record another program, playback another program, etc., The "memory" remains.
Community Veteran

Yes johpal, The non-HDD combi player/recorder that was replaced by the current Sony HDD recorder also used to remember its last position, it also had another neat trick of remembering the last 10 (I think it was) discs that had been in the machine and would play them back from the last known position if required It was a JVC if I remember. The Sony HDD/disk player/recorder only remembers the last position as long as the tray hasn't been opened for any reason.