Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pathetic Press

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Pathetic Press

498 against 144 granting the government the power to invoke article 50, and what does the paper decide to lead with? 

"A fifth of Labour MPs defy three line whip to vote against article 50 bill"

Pathetic. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/01/a-fifth-of-labour-mps-defy-three-line-whip-to-vote-...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
18 REPLIES
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Pathetic Press

It's the old saying that Dog Bites Man isn't news, but Man Bites Dog is.  Having said that, the media do skew the news to fit their agenda, e.g. a year or so ago, during a strike by Underground staff, the headline on the letters page of one paper claimed the public didn't support the strike, but the majority of the letters printed did in fact support the strikers.

jamessc
Grafter

You can't really be that surprised, it was media BS that helped fool so many into voting against their own interests and getting us into this shameful embarrassment in the first place.
Community Veteran

jamessc wrote:
... helped fool so many into voting against their own interests ...

You'll be referring to the Remain voters I presume. Smiley

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Anyways, pleased to note my own MP who wanted to remain did not oppose the bill..... so he might get my vote next time after all. Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

What I really find baffling is that so many people, who apparently think that your average MP is a waste of space, are totally willing to place their future lock stock and barrel into the hands of a bunch of politicians to negotiate us through this. I personally sincerely hope that when the final "result" is known there is a reasonable amount of "information exchange" to moderate the outcome.

I wouldn't trust any politician that has so obviously ducked and weaved away from previously held views to represent me. I'm far too old to benefit (or otherwise) from all this but my children and grandchildren aren't.

Minivanman
Hero

Do they think that? I thought that term was reserved for Local Councillors - it is around here anyway Smiley

Community Veteran

I visit the Sunderland and Darlington areas quite a lot. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks any politician is worth their salt there. Yet everyone seems to have placed their future totally in the Government's hands. 

I personally need a voice. All I have ever got from voicing my concerns to my MP is an off-pat answer that's straight off the politicians handy book of answers. Never a discussion or meaningful acknowledgement, so I guess I am also amongst those who wouldn't trust them.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@nozzer

Comes back to the old question of who can you really trust ? Those who need your vote will tell you what they think you want to hear rather than what they believe in. I suspect many change their stance on a issue to protect their positions.

@Minivanman

It's all about  selling papers, to do that you need a headline that attracts attention, 'Top scientist says world will end on Wednesday' then when you read the actual article it says top scientist says the world will end one day, no one can be certain it will not be next wednesday.

Papers are a business, they need your money to survive, several smaller ones have already gone to the wall and most of the bigger ones are selling less copies, the day may come when they cease to exist at all, I guess few young people bother with newspapers these days and a lot of older people can access the news in various ways.

Better ways of spending your money....The cost of a daily + weekend paper adds up to several hundred pounds a year !

Community Veteran

Comes back to the old question of who can you really trust ? Those who need your vote will tell you what they think you want to hear rather than what they believe in. I suspect many change their stance on a issue to protect their positions.

That's dead right! We allow the wrong people to be politicians. It's always those who want power and influence and are prepared to do anything to protect what they regard as their rights.

So if you don't know who you can trust, why risk putting all your eggs in the same basket if you don't know what the outcome will be? Nobody, certainly not a politician, will be able to tell you what will happen. So that leads me back to my initial statement, I sincerely hope that someone sees sense and allows some sort of moderation before we finally jump.

We can forget the dream bluff of being able to fall back on the Singapore-haven model which has been bandied about by the government. We can't even support a viable NHS or benefits system at the moment, so turning the UK into a tax-haven can only be done after a really severe chat with the UK population, and I doubt that they would relish scrapping the NHS in favour of an insurance-based service.

Minivanman
Hero

I get that about selling papers @gleneagles - and in this case I do not subscribe to the online version.

My irritation if I you can call it that has more to do with the way they steer the news away from the real story towards one that suits the editorial agenda. Nothing new here of course, just a gut wrenchingly obvious one expected from the likes of the Mail, but disappointing from the Guardian which was once half decent paper.

Does it make me read it the article? Not really because it's just the same old persistent bias from a paper that keeps getting egg on it's face over Brexit and the EU....... much like more than a few MP's we know!  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well, even the doom merchants can be wrong ..... 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4184020/Bank-England-raises-UK-growth-forecasts-AGAIN.html

Bank was forecasting doom and gloom BEFORE the vote... and now they have to completely do a U turn in no uncertain terms.. !

Minivanman
Hero

"He's making it up as he goes along!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FvoXJCrBhQ

Community Veteran

nozzer wrote:

That's dead right! We allow the wrong people to be politicians. It's always those who want power and influence and are prepared to do anything to protect what they regard as their rights.

So if you don't know who you can trust, why risk putting all your eggs in the same basket if you don't know what the outcome will be? Nobody, certainly not a politician, will be able to tell you what will happen. So that leads me back to my initial statement, I sincerely hope that someone sees sense and allows some sort of moderation before we finally jump.

We can forget the dream bluff of being able to fall back on the Singapore-haven model which has been bandied about by the government. We can't even support a viable NHS or benefits system at the moment, so turning the UK into a tax-haven can only be done after a really severe chat with the UK population, and I doubt that they would relish scrapping the NHS in favour of an insurance-based service.

Thing is if they are the wrong people then who would be the right people ? If I had the same MP as you I would be pleased he had done what I wanted in respect of the recent vote whereas you are not pleased so it would be impossible to represent what everybody wants every time.

Even good people have been known to change once they get into positions of power.

As for knowing what the future holds, well stay or leave no one can be certain of what the future holds, it can feel safer to keep things as they are and change nothing but equally that can be a mistake as well.

Only time will provide the answers

Smiley

Community Veteran

jamessc wrote:
it was media BS that helped fool so many into voting against their own interests

Depends how you see things, if you have a good lifestyle you may be reluctant to take a gamble on change but if you live in one of the many towns and some cities that time forgot with no job and living off food parcels and up to your eyes in debt then change would seem the only option you have, what have you got to lose if you have nothing. !

Intresting that many celeberites, pop stars and other well off folk did not want change.