Did you mean: 

Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake baker's man

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bake me a cake as fast as you can.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6263137/ANDREW-PIERCE-defends-family-slammed-refusing-bak...

Come along inside.

We’ll see if teas and buns can make the world a better place.’

The quotation from children’s classic The Wind In The Willows is emblazoned in the window of the eight Ashers bakery shops in Northern Ireland....

B&E.jpg

I fully agree with the Supreme Court decision.

Andrew Pierce:

They were crystal clear in their view of what had happened: they hadn’t refused to make the cake because Gareth Lee was gay.

He was a regular in their bakery, for heaven’s sake, as yesterday’s ruling made clear.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake baker's man

Whilst I accept the ruling of the Supreme Court I wonder if the bakers would have objected had the wording been in Gaelic, or even Latin, or do bakers demand a translation into their own language of anything they are requested to write on a cake?  What will be the effect of this ruling on other media?  Does it mean that anyone can refuse to print, or otherwise publish, anything they don't personally approve of?

It is interesting that the DUP insist NI is treated like any other part of the UK in regard to Brexit, but seem quite happy to have "the most limited" LGBT rights in the UK (Wikipedia).  Their abortion laws are also not in line with the rest of the UK, and the offence could result in a life sentence!

I wonder if there will, or has already been, an effect on the bakery's profits.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

I cannot imagine that the case was brought without knowledge of the shop owners views on homosexuality. TBH I think it was to try to make trouble for the owners. Surely had the owners desired to discriminate on grounds of sexuality they could have constructed some scheme well before.

My view is that Ashers offered to sell cakes at s price, but the deal struck can be above that or lower, or no deal struck should there be some hindrance to its completion. The cake's wording conflicted with Asher's owners' beliefs.

There must have been other bakers, who would have done the deal. Why did the gays not go to them, rather than act as they did? is no one allowed to have a conscience, a belief? To me that path leads just to forms of totalitarianism. Countries under such rule are often much more disobliging to the gay community.

How ironical.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I understand the person ordering the cake was a regular customer, but of course that does not mean that he knew the owners' views or vice-versa.

I wonder whether they would have produced a cake knowing it was for a gay wedding?  Any Tom, Dick, or Harry can plonk a same-sex topper on it after taking delivery.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There's no doubt that some people go looking for trouble. It's easy to find.

One that made me smile on a similar subject was an actor complaining about a straight actor playing a gay. Saying that only gay actors should play gay parts. Clearly not well thought out as if gay actors ended up playing only gay parts it would put most out of work overnight.

Obviously an actor who has forgotten just what acting means.