cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password recovery

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Password recovery

Some years ago I used to have a small software app that would display all the passwords in plain language I use in list form against the relevant apps. Can't find it now, anyone any ideas please or even if this kind of thing is still available at all. I could easily imagine it's not?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Password recovery

There's certainly a simple one for email, which is a common problem......
Others are generally more challenging.  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

got mine on a password protected spreadsheet
Community Veteran

boot a livecd and read everything on the hard drive.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just google.... < password recovery >  and you will see ooooondles of stuff you could use.... Cheesy
Community Veteran

Thanks guy's; nearly all of those Googled are password managers that assume you already know the passwords to start with or Windows OS password recovery apps (I already have one of those working on this PC that gives the product key for the OS and any MS Office apps in use) The one I had, simply listed all those that had been used on that PC it made no pretenses to changing anything. Unfortunately the HD in that particular PC died a couple of years ago...no of course I didn't have a back-up!!

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I thought I had something, somewhere, in my bookmarks listing..... and here it is...
hope it works for you....
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that only resets the admin password
Community Veteran

To be honest, I would imagine that if you could access all the passwords on your PC (and of course you do use different one's each time don't you!!)  so could anybody else who felt so inclined. So I would guess the security aspect of a piece of software like this could be dramatic..
Edit: the if was left out Embarrassed.

garlic
Dabbler

Would any of these Nirsoft apps fit the bill?
http://www.nirsoft.net/password_recovery_tools.html
EDIT
He's also got a blog here
WirelessNetView is quite a nice one if you want to see how crowded the channels are in your neighbourhood.
If you use it in conjunction with MacAddressView you can often see what make of router your neighbours are using as well. (Or indeed anything with a MAC address)
Community Veteran

Thanks garlic. Actually it was one I looked at from a Google search. The obvious one for me in that link is PasswordFox (since I use that browser) not only did I get a removed threat warning from my Resident Shield when I ran the app,  I couldn't get PasswordFox to work. So I very smartly uninstalled it.
As far as I can see its not a Mozilla approved add-on.
Under the circumstances I didn't try any of the others. 

Community Veteran

PS. the screen-shot that appears with the description of PasswordFox in garlics link is almost exactly like that in the app I had some years ago.

garlic
Dabbler

I believe he does explain (at some length) somewhere in his blog why some of his apps get flagged with false positives.
I think it's because they're often sniffing/investigative type apps that triggers a malware response. He gets quite peed off about it.
http://www.nirsoft.net/search_freeware_result_new.html?cx=partner-pub-5286073190998405%3Ah7ne4r-6rgk...
From the size of his site and the diversity of the apps he's produced I believe he's a straight arrow. (IMHO).
idlewis
Grafter

Try Roboform (search for it at google as I cannot remember the full web address) as it saves all login passwords in one place and after just one login,  when you want to go to that web page again just click on it..
It costs From £10 - 16
Community Veteran

@idlewis. Hey! that works...
The "lite" version for Firefox is free as well. Doesn't say if its time limited before a purchase needed, so I guess its not. Annoyingly, its online manual opens in IE which I don't normally use but, quickly got over that.
Will check out the pro (not free) version to see if there's anything useful in that.
Many thanks
Petlew retires wearing dark glasses and trench-coat to see if he can hack into SWMBO's laptop.
Seriously, one of the reasons I was looking for something like this is because Mr's P's very poor (what remains after serious strokes) memory means she has completely forgotten all of her passwords. Fortunately, she never did setup a Windows login password.