Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Hell

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Password Hell

cabbage

Sorry, the password must be more than 8 characters.

boiled cabbage

Sorry, the password must contain 1 numerical character.

1 boiled cabbage

Sorry, the password cannot have blank spaces.

50s*****gboiledcabbages

Sorry, the password must contain at least one upper case character.

50S*****Gboiledcabbages

Sorry, the password cannot use more than one upper case character consecutively.

50S*****gBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYours,IfYouDon'tGiveMeAccessImmediately!

Sorry, the password cannot contain punctuation.

NowIAmGettingReallyPi***dOff50S*****gBoiledCabbagesShovedUpYoursIfYouDontGiveMeAccessImmediately

Sorry, that password is already in use!
Grin
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Passport Hell

where's the passport come into it? Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Superuser
Superuser

Re: Password Hell

Duh!  Senior moment - now corrected!
M
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

That's why I use:
Password01
Tongue
James
Grafter

I think sometimes you have to use Password01!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

True - and if there is an expiration policy, guess what the next one will be?
TORPC
Grafter

There should be a governing body to enforce that there should be clear instructions of what can / can't be used prior to registering with any site
Community Veteran

@MauriceC you must be talking about yahoo!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: TORPC
There should be a governing body to enforce that there should be clear instructions of what can / can't be used prior to registering with any site

There should also be a reminder on the login page too...
There's a few times I've had to go through the password recovery system, only know exactly what the password was once I see the silly rules again!
TORPC
Grafter

Surely as this has been a flaming newscience  to rephrase is ancient problem that can have the restrictions removed / amended to suit, far too often many coder uses code that is (yes you guessed it & give yourselves a clap) copy & paste from original code, & do not always under or fully understand what each piece of code does and or how to amend to suit, which in-itself typically caused bugs & glitches after they have tried to modify code that is not their own but free to use or they insert the code on the wrong section.
A friend of mine has just taken on a local firm and now owns it outright since his business partner decided to retire and he was the one that did the coding, he asked if I could make the necessary amendments to the existing website.
I am by no means a expert however
OMG
The site as it stands takes on average 24 seconds to load (tested on several browsers, O/S, PC, Laptops etc) even their client base have complained Sad
Their is far too much bloat and crud in the code I advised that it would be better to start a fresh, and I would code a new site for him.
and yes I will be requesting that the criteria for creating passwords etc is clearly visible on the registration page, and not by a small question mark icon to have the end user to click or dab their finger or dabbing pen.
That said for the mobile version may need further thought as 1 does not like to create to much scrolling of pages 
What are your thoughts suggestions for mobile devices, please dont forget to take into consideration that there are still many a small screen set of end users ?Huh
Community Veteran

24 seconds?
Sounds like a query being repeated in a loop to get data out of a database somewhere. Even phpmyadmin can run stupidly high numbers of queries sometimes and phpbb can run over 50 for one page  Shocked Personally I get nervous if I need to run 10!
TORPC
Grafter

I will look at the server side in due course,  have not got the phpmyadmin login details as yet as I am still waiting for them as we speak / type / communicate Wink
That said my phpmyadmin skills are very limited as are mysql Sad
Trust me when I say anyone that codes websites with any sense of pride / Tidy Markup / best practices would have the same or similar reaction to me as the HTML is a mismatch of all standards Sad CSS, Java, Flash needs separating into their own structured folder etc
It also (yet to be confirmed) appears to be a hash of an old template circa 2003 unless it was a copied bit of code from some source
On 1 page I copied I used HTMLTidy as a test and it removed (not a shed or boat load) but an (aircraft hanger load of crud)
and there are hundreds of pages not named either correctly or appropriately or marked up as, that needs to be either fixed / Archived / Deleted or .olded out
I still think starting from scratch is going to be the best way forward, using all new coding and best practices
There is hardly any comments in the code to state which bit is for what action Sad
kmilburn
Grafter

Ouch,  that does sound like a bit of a mess to deal with..
I'd concur with your assessment that it's probably best to start with a clean slate,  which has the added advantage that you can do things in a completely different way with new foundations (e.g. Joomla, Drupal, GWT, RAP, etc. etc.).
Unless you want to get into signed certificates or other associated problems,  you probably want to drop the java applets.  The latest update to Java now require signed applets by default and won't run unsigned ones (without changing settings).
I'd also avoid using flash unless there's a specific need for it.
On the mobile front, some scrolling is going to be inevitable, but how to achieve a good interface would depend on what the pages need to do.
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
Trust me when I say anyone that codes websites with any sense of pride / Tidy Markup / best practices would have the same or similar reaction to me as the HTML is a mismatch of all standards Sad CSS, Java, Flash needs separating into their own structured folder etc

Not so sure I'd agree with that myself to be honest.
I'm more of a back end guy and while I can write php that will fend off the regular hackers for a year my front end skills are very limited. Sure I can just about put apage together but it can be a bit messy.
The 24 seconds thing seriously sounds like a backend issue. Moons ago when working on one of my projects I had a similar page that would take around 40 seconds to load. It annoyed me a lot so I eventually turned on mysql logging and found that I'd got a query running in a loop that was repeating over 150 times. That can substantially slow down a sql server which in turn slows down the scripts execution time.
Obviously if these pages are static html then you do have something else going on but if they're dynamic pages then I'd be looking at looping database calls. Mind you, if you're going to redesign it anyway there's probably not much point!
TORPC
Grafter

What I reviewed so far is that they are attempting to be static HTML
However I am not going to ignore that it could be server side
I am eager to find out if the phpmyamdin etc is up to date as that in itself could cause issues with modern browsers etc