Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passports

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Passports

As backlog hits 500,000, holidaymakers are told to pay £55 extra or risk losing their summer break
However, many are tweeting on SKY they recently received their Passport within TWO weeks of applying.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2654195/May-accused-incredible-complacency-holiday-crisis-MP...

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/passport-check-send

9 REPLIES
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Passports

I read in one of the reports that the white boxes contain applications from within the UK, orange boxes the overseas applications. I don't think I'll worry too much when I send mine off to Liverpool today  Undecided
itsme
Grafter

How I love misreporting! It cost an extra £30.50 to fast track (1 week turnaround) the £55.50 cost is for a 4 hour service and you have to pick it up. For most people their passports sit in the drawer for 50 weeks of the year so there no excuse getting renewed at the last minute.
After saying the above I went on the Passport site and I did not see any mention of when you can renew and that the expiry of the new passport will still be 10 years after the expiry of the old passport. This may be why people wait to the last moment. When I last renewed my passport in 2008 I had to plan when to do it as I was regularly using it in Europe but I was going to a country that I needed a visa and this require at least 6 months left on the passport. So when I renewed the new passport has a life of 10 years 3 months.
Edit: Found it
Time left on an existing passport is added to your new one - up to a maximum of 9 months.
Community Veteran

The Head of the Passport Office has assured us, on BBC News website today, that 99% of straightforward applications are processed within 4 weeks and 96% within 3 weeks. I trust this person who has never lied to me before.  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 123

You can actually renew your passport at any time with a maximum of 9 months being carried over so there's not really an excuse for those leaving it so late.
In early summer 2012 I was about to buy the flights to Ukraine for SWMBO and myself when I realised my passport had expired the previous March. No one else to blame but myself. As the cost of flights increased the closer we got the the date we wanted my best option was to pay for the one day service. We got an appointment at the passport office in Victoria for the morning then spent the day with friends then collected it at around 7pm.
It also saved the anxious waiting around as to whether it would arrive back in time as it was the peak for applications. In the future I will most likely apply when there is only a year left. So I may lose two or three months but at least we'd be able to travel at a moment's notice if we had to.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 102

my daughters passport has just turned up.. we started the application process in March.
Letters lost in the post and all sorts of carry on - was getting worried wouldn't have it for August  Undecided
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 123

Not saying this is the case for your daughter but how many other applications haven't been completed properly, wrong payments details, photos not acceptable, etc, all of which can add further to a delay in processing.
Are some of the delays due to more stringent checks and, if so, isn't that many have called for? Can't exactly have it both ways.
The summer passport 'scandal' seems to have been going on for as long as I can remember Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 102

I'll hold my hands up and say the initial problem was caused by myself - but letters going missing in the post caused the bulk of the delay.
Extra checks came into it as they also wrote to the person who validated her photographs.
Will Moderate For Thanks
nanotm
Pro

the backlog is all the scots getting there passports before they vote yes and wont be allowed to get them anymore .......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My daughter has hers sent off on the beginning of April and turned up 2 weeks ago.
A friend who is going on a cruise next Friday is going to do the £55.50 fast track and pick up as , so hopefully everyone can have their hols sorted!
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up