cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passport Photo

MightyMouse
Grafter

Passport Photo

I will shortly need Photos for passport & Driving Licence renewal.
As I class these as important to get good quality, I have decided not to go to a photo booth, but to get them done properly.
I was told about Snappy Snaps   so e-mailed them last night as to whether I would need to make an appointment.
They have had all day to answer and I still have had no reply.
I class this as bad customer service and therefore do not deserve my custom.

Can anybody recommend  a place in Cambridge  or Saffron Walden ?
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Passport Photo

Actually, My wife and I, both submitted to the Photo Booth, ( located in the front entrance of local Morrisons ) for our passport photos, and ,  my driving licence..
They are "approved" because when you sit in them, there is a system of determining the correct "posture" of your head , in relation to the requirements laid down for the passport and driving licence photos.
So long as you follow the instructions given in the booth, you should have no problems with acceptance
minkey
Grafter

Perhaps a bit far, but Photosound in Bishops Stortford has always provided a good service for passport photos etc and are independent too.
Community Veteran

The automatic photo booths are more than acceptable. Why pay more Wink
Community Veteran

Another +1 for "approved" photo booths, never had an issue using photos from them. Also if you can renew your passport first then when renewing your driving licence on the website you should have the option to pull your passport photo and use that so no need to submit another picture to them! Another tip is using the gov.uk new beta passport service, it's fantastic, got my renewal in under a week!
Community Veteran

I just do them at home with my phone camera. Pop the file in PSP and wind up the dpi until the piccie is the right size and then print them off!
All you need is a whitish background, no flash, and remember to take yer specs off.  Cool
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 125

In 2012 I had to go London to renew my passport in person due to a sudden need to travel to see SWMBO's family. I already had two photo-booth pictures left from when I changed my driving licence so I thought I'd save a few bob. They were rejected as I had my glasses on which is no longer acceptable Sad Luckily they had a photo-booth on the premises and we didn't have to queue again.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: NedLudd
All you need is a whitish background, no flash, and remember to take yer specs off.  Cool

All I do is hang a sheet over a door.
Works for me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My Driving licence pic, I am wearing my glasses... can`t remember if I had them on my Passport photo...
I do know that Passport Photos do have to have certain criteria met, such as the position of the eyes, and the "poise" of the head, relative to a "set piece" positoning.  if the eyes are too low, too high or not in line with those criteria, the photo will be rejected.... that is why you have to "arrange" yourself into the correct position in the booth, by raising or lowering the seat, and then making sure your head is within a given boundary line on the screen.
itsme
Grafter

Can someone point to where it say glasses have to be removed.
My understanding is you can wear glasses with clear lenses so long as there no glare.

I was definitely told 'no glasses to be worn' even though I wear them normally but:
[quote=https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports]with eyes open, visible and free from reflection or glare from glasses
with your eyes not covered by sunglasses, tinted glasses, glasses frames or hair
In my original photos the rims were very thin and did not obscure my eyes.
Edit: That page was last updated November 2014 so maybe the rules changed, again  Undecided

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I renewed my passport over a year ago and there was a 'no glasses' rule then.
itsme
Grafter

Seem that many have had their photos rejected because of wearing glasses and glare was given as the reason when there have been none.
and no mention of contact lenses, especially coloured ones.

Glare wasn't mentioned to me. Just bluntly told glasses not allowed.
I did ask if I would be expected to take my glasses off when going through passport control as that would make it difficult to see where I'm going. I was told no!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

+1 for photo-booth, worked a treat