Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Party political broadcasts

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Re: Party political broadcasts

@shutter wrote:

In all my years at sea, when some of my watchkeeping time was on the bridge, I do not recall seeing ANY ship belching black sulphurous smoke miles from land..

I presume you  have had a different experience with your sea time.... when was that?  and what seas/oceans did you sail on ?

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/cargo-container-shipping-carbon-pollution-515489

OK a bit of poetic licence with the thick black bit, but oil burning ships are amongst the most polluting things on the planet

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Those coal burning Dreadnoughts and the like from the first world war were known to belch out smoke which is why  I believe they would rather burn Welsh anthracite. As for your time I guess it was all steam turbines fired by oil?

Not an expert far from it but does oil produce sulphur and if so, does sulphur produce smoke.

Chemistry was never my strong point at school obviously.

Now home economics classes where the girls would hang out... 😉

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Burnt Sulphur gives Sulphur dioxide - which is not a greenhouse gas.

Photochemical reactions convert it to Sulphurous/Sulphuric acid.

Eventually causes Acid Rain.

Sometimes you just can't win.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Ah yes, acid rain was the big thing at one time.

Funny how we don't seem to read or hear about it these days. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Interestingly, earlier today, this popped up on youtube on ships & burning the lovely toxic bunker fuel:

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Always wondered about those uber urinals of the sea and if as I suspect they just dump all their passengers poo and pee straight into the ocean. Passenger aircraft get it sucked out of them I believe on landing, but those monsters?

Given that human waste amongst other yuks contain.the virus, dumping 'poo into the blue' is not something that is supposed to happen but like those oil tankers dumping oil contaminated ballast into the sea, I'm sure they do. 

My little bro who spent years cruising the med in his yacht club was embarrassed to admit he dumped, well his dumps on a regular basis into the sea in order to save on pumpout charges - as for canal boat owners.... 😯

Whatever next, floating corpses down the Ganges river? Oh hang on.

rEUnite
Rising Star

@Minivanman wrote:

Funny how we don't seem to read or hear about it these days. 

Maybe that’s because appropriate action was taken and it is no longer such a problem:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190823-can-lessons-from-acid-rain-help-stop-climate-change

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

A lot of the forests of Norway, Sweden etc. were killed or badly damaged

by acid rain caused by pollution from UK being blown over there by the

prevailing westerly wind and falling as acid rain,  but that has been

eclipsed by the latest boogyman of CO2 being the bad guy, I am

waiting for the next environmental bad guy to turn up - what will they

think of next to put on their bandwagon and placards when we get bored of CO2

The latest answer to global warming seems to be 'private jets for climate change'....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I suppose these guys have to get to where they are going somehow and hard to imagine some of them booking up with the likes of easyJet.  Granted they don't make it any easier on themselves but they can't win even if they went by bus there would be moans about pollution,  

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 22

IF they were that serious about the amount of travelling contributing to 'Global Warming', have they never heard of video conferencing? Or would mean they don't get a free holiday?

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Fair point, but Gods help us all if that was to be the way all business political and commercial was conducted.

Sure there's a 'jolly' element but even so there is nothing like a bit of face to face hand shaking to seal the deal I'd have thought. 

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@jab1 wrote:

Or would mean they don't get a free holiday?

Fly in by private jet for a holiday in a five star hotel, transported around by limousine,

with all the best food imported from around the globe - what commited  environmentalist

could resist that ?

rEUnite
Rising Star

@jab1 

With possibly 30,000 delgates expected to attend COP26, I guess there could be an additional 60,000 ‘person flights’ resulting from those attendances. If my calculations are correct (by no means a certainty) that would represent an addition of 0.001% to the annual worldwide total of around 4.4 billion person flights. Bearing in mind that flying is only one small part of the contributions to climate change, I think one could reasonably argue that is a small additional burden if the conference brings about some positive change.

As for a ‘free holiday’ - 9 days in Glasgow in November? They’ll be queuing up...

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 22

@rEUnite I kind of see your point, but still find it a little hypocritical. AND I have my doubts about the real value of these 'talking shops'.

Likr your comment about 9 days in Glasgow in November, btw.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

as for canal boat owners.... 😯

It's an ever-ongoing argument over Pump-Out versus Casette... 🤣

(Cassette being a caravan-type bog with a pull-out tank you can wheel to the nearast disposal point to responsibly empty out)

That said a lot of boat owners pump grey-water (I.E. sink, shower, bath, washer, etc.) water into the canals & rivers they reside on, but under the proviso that they only use eco-friendly detergents & soaps, I think some boaters do have grey-water storage though so not everyone does it, just one of them optional things...