cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part of Apollo theatre roof collapses

Fixes: 125

Part of Apollo theatre roof collapses

London's Apollo Theatre's ceiling collapses during show
More than 80 people have been injured, four seriously, after part of a ceiling in London's Apollo Theatre collapsed during a show, police say.
The venue in Shaftesbury Avenue was packed for a performance of The Curious Incident Of The Dog in the Night-Time.

Quite frightening. I wonder how often these old buildings are inspected Undecided
The Daily Mail reported it as just part of a balcony.
Reminds me of when I took my mum to a Barry Manilow concert at the Royal Albert Hall. We were in one of the balconies and lots of people were standing and dancing. When I asked my mum why she wasn't standing she said she was scared it could collapse. I completely dismissed the idea.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Part of Apollo theatre roof collapses

Ah so thats what the news was talking about earlier. I heard something about a collapse in london but didn't get all the details.
Did you know the Apollo theatre has an under-stage corridor that allows performers to go from one side of the stage to the other without being seen?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

My wife and sister were there a couple of weeks ago to see a show.
It turned out they got the wrong theatre and had to rush across London to the right one  Grin
kdoug007
Grafter

could  it have been anything  to do with thursdays  storm..
  some  say it  could have  been  lightning!! note the  word  could....
Community Veteran

Fortunately the casualties were not too numerous. It could have been a lot more serious. The emergency services did a great job.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I suspect that the cause of the collapse is termites or woodworm, in the lath plaster work, or it may have been where water infiltrated the lath plaster, causing the ceiling to collapse from rain from a hole in the roof.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Seems that all their safety inspections and certificates were up to date.
There was some suggestion it may have been caused by work taking place on a nearby building.
Lucky no one was killed.
kdoug007
Grafter

i bet there  will be  a  large  compensation  claim!!!!!!!from  the  audience..
Community Veteran

It certainly didn't put people off theatreland last night Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Breaking News
I was right
[quote="The Independent"]
Heavy rain and years of 'benign neglect' may have caused Apollo Theatre roof collapse
Owner of the playhouse had previously admitted that London’s theatre buildings had 'suffered years of benign neglect'
Investigators were on Friday trying to discover if heavy rainfall played a part in Thursday night’s ceiling collapse at Apollo Theatre which injured 79 people.
It emerged that the owner of the playhouse had previously admitted that London’s theatre buildings had “suffered years of benign neglect” and had poorly maintained roofs. The  warning had come from Nica Burns, co-owner of Nimax which owns and operates the Apollo on Shaftesbury Avenue and five other theatres in central London.
The collapse at the 112-year-old venue sent 10 square metres of ornate plasterwork and masonry falling on the audience after reports suggested water had been dripping through cracks in the Grade II-listed theatre’s ceiling. There was heavy rain and thunder in the area earlier in the day, which may have weakened the structure.
Forecasters said there was an “abnormally high concentration of rain, hail and lightning strikes” on Thursday evening and almost 15 per cent of the average monthly rainfall for one area in December fell in a single hour.
London Ambulance Service confirmed that 79 people had been injured, of whom 56 were taken to hospital, nine with serious injuries. A spokesman for Nimax announced that an investigation was under way into what caused the “shocking and upsetting incident”.
Read More Here

My Bold
nanotm
Pro

sadly they don't have much choice but to wait for the roof to collapse, the grade II listing prevents them from stripping it out and replacing it with new stuff (because its expedient) but instead only permits for piecemeal repairs.
its a regulatory problem that needs addressing, I understand the listing's purpose to preserve the existing building but more often than not any repair work requires permits that can take a long time to be acquired, it would be far better to have a qualified team of professionals sent round ot completely replace an entire roof when part of it needs doing rather than the paper over the cracks method that's been getting done for decades.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Devonian
Grafter

They really raised the roof with this show. Wink