cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Used Batteries, what is your Battery Vampire ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Part Used Batteries, what is your Battery Vampire ?

Battery Vampire is a term used to describe an item that will drain part used batteries, in use.
Many items stop working / cut-off when battery voltage falls below a certain voltage.
For non- rechargeable, usually Alkaline, this does seem a bit of a waste.
My main battery vampires are...
1) Apple Magic Mouse, often show 80%+ life remaining, and an app ( and Bluetooth) shows a countdown of life remaining. I get an average of two weeks extra life.
2) 2v-5v LED used in my PIR indoor lights.
3) Some of my LED torches with power circuitry.

a) My main source of part used batteries is my Battery shaver, after a couple of weeks.
I buy batteries in bulk, my latest ones are 12 AA Alkalines for 99p at Halfords

And yes, I do use `LSD NiMh rechargeables a lot too, especially in my digital cameras and PIR lights.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Part Used Batteries, what is your Battery Vampire ?

Interesting topic this - makes a change from the norm!
I'd say my netbook is the biggest with me although it's rechargeable so probably doesn't count lol  Crazy
I have an LED torch and it must be said the battery life is amazing! It does however flicker due to the bottom where you screw the end on - it doesn't make contact properly so you have to thump it a bit to make it work lol.
I think thats it for our place.. oh mobile phones.. somehow we have 4 of the damn things. Mine lives for around 1.5 - 2 weeks without a recharge but my partners all need recharging every day or two lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

My mobile (smartphone) used to last a few days before requiring a charge but since an update back in December it doesn't hold its charge much longer than a day. I have found that the warmer the mobile gets the quicker it discharges.
SWMBO's new Samsung Galaxy SIII seems to hold its charge well considering she leaves it on the side playing music most of the day.
We used to use rechargeable for the mice and keyboards but as they were getting on a bit and no longer lasted more than a day or so we bought a large amount of Duracell (AA & AAA) quite cheaply. The battery in the laptop mouse lasts a few months as it doesn't get much use but the PC tends to last only a month or so.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Our iPhones go 2 to 3 days between charges, but the iPads last about 2 weeks!
Torches are led's and batteries last for ever.
Double 'A's and triple 'A's I buy in bulk from 7DayShop (Duracells). These are used in the wirefree alarm system, remotes, doorbell, and various itty-bitty things!
Like Mav, we did use rechargeables for a number of things, but have reverted back to Duracells.
Battery Vampire is probably the smoke alarms which use those 9v thingies!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
My mobile (smartphone) used to last a few days before requiring a charge but since an update back in December it doesn't hold its charge much longer than a day. I have found that the warmer the mobile gets the quicker it discharges.

Somewhere there you have a process which is running constantly then. Sounds like something cycling in a loop continuously doing something and using CPU cycles which in turn would use more power and make the processor heat up.
Fixes: 125

The warmth of the mobile is a bit of a red herring in that I noticed a few times that if I fell asleep while using the mobile in bed it got warm under the covers and appeared  to discharge quicker than if I had put it on the table next to the bed.
I have gone through quitting all processes I am not currently using and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
Battery Vampire is a term used to describe an item that will drain part used batteries, in use.
Many items stop working / cut-off when battery voltage falls below a certain voltage.

To clarify, I don't think I made it clear in my initial post.
A Battery Vampire is an item used to drain a non-rechargeable ( ie mostly Alkaline) primary battery, in use, after it has effectively been drained by its' normal usage, and relates to non-rechargeable primary batteries.
ie, a "second" life for a part used Non-rechargeable primary battery

Apologise for any confusion.
Where an item of electronic equipment reckons a non-rechargeable primary battery has no more life in it, as far as that item is concerned, but has some life remaining in another item of equipment, that is less demanding on a high voltage.
ie, probably somewhere between 1.2v and 0.9v, under load.
So... rather than dispose of a battery that appears to have no life left in it, what do you use to eke out a few extra hours from your non-rechargeable primary battery
James
Grafter

I barely get a day out of my iPhone Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What happens if you leave it in the freezer overnight?  Huh
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
James
Grafter

Imagine it would freeze.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

You'd get lots of cold calls?    Cheesy
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

and a frosty reception  Grin
Infinity
Pro

Wrap it in one of these !!
Aroma Home Purple Fluffy Microwaveable Feet Warmers
( Amazon )

I actually keep my spare rechargeable mobile phone batteries in the Fridge.  Cool

Infinity
Pro

Quote from: James
I barely get a day out of my iPhone Sad

You need this.....
Fixes: 47

Or you could use one of these...
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation