cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parliament To Discuss Attack on ISIS

Community Veteran

Parliament To Discuss Attack on ISIS

Parliament is to be recalled tomorrow hopefully to endorse UK support in the battle against ISIS.
I'm currently in the US and they are grateful that we will be giving them moral support. Friends from Macdill were pleased to hear the news yesterday.
Recall
123 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Parliament To Discuss Attack on ISIS

I got this from my MP yesterday.
Dear constituent,

Last summer, the House of Commons was recalled following the gassing of innocent civilians by the Syrian President, Bashar al-Assad. At the time, I anticipated being asked by the Prime Minister to support a military strike on Damascus. I emailed those constituents I was able to, inviting opinions on what they considered to be the best way forward. Most of the replies reinforced my personal view that the case for military action had not been made. I could not see how it would improve the position. I and many other like-minded Conservatives informed the government of our opinion and the motion finally put to the recalled House of Commons after much negotiation did not sanction a military strike. I considered the final motion to be acceptable and was very disappointed when it was defeated. It felt to me that the UK, a leading NATO country was turning its back on the world, an act that would only encourage those with evil intent. The reality was that the UK and the US did stand back, and have allowed events in the Middle East to play out as they have done. The current position is far more worrying than it was last year.
This email once again shares with you the decision I may face in the near future. It's rumoured that there may be a sudden recall of Parliament this week or next to consider becoming involved in air strikes against ISIL, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. At this stage, we do not know what military action would be involved. However I would expect it to involve air strikes against ISIL, though perhaps not in Syria and not involving troops on the ground. This, of course, may change.
This time, I am personally more inclined to support military involvement. The scale of ISIL's advance, its incredible brutality, its mass killings and beheadings, and threat it poses to us here in the UK seem to me to be increasingly serious. At this stage I feel we cannot continue to turn our backs on what is happening. It is important that I keep in touch with my constituents? views on such an emotive and controversial issue. Entering military conflict is an extremely serious matter, full of uncertainty, and it seems right that I should invite my constituents to share any thoughts  they have on the matter.

Best Wishes,
Glyn Davies

So action has at least one supporter.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran

One of many I would imagine once it is put to them.
Community Veteran

Some fantastic video of the US bombings of ISIS facilities. There have been some criticism of wrong targets being bombed but looking at these videos you have to be in awe of the accuracy.

Bombings
Steve
Pro

Guess what? Parliament gives approval for Britain to join the US-led coalition after the PM said IS forces are "psychopathic terrorists. So what is the Strategy here then?
Community Veteran

The news has been well received here in the US. Chuck Hagel, Secretary of Defense, has welcomed the information given to him by Michael Fallon, UK Defence Secretary.
Air strikes are hitting ISIS oil reserves which are currently providing them with around $2m a day in revenue.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

and there off, first sorties expected to start dropping ordnance in a few hours Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

The UK is flying reconnaissance missions from our base in Cyprus.  Since our support other countries have joined us and Turkey is close to deciding to join.
It's not going to be a short task and David Cameron suggested it could be a few years to achieve success.
With the current success both US and UK leaders are enjoying a lift in popularity. It will be interesting to see how this will affect voting. The UK of course vote next May and there are elections in the US next month.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
and there off, first sorties expected to start dropping ordnance in a few hours Smiley

That's a long few hours...
Community Veteran

Wishful thinking or just inaccurate Undecided
nanotm
Pro

or perhaps that's exactly what the bloke standing on the edge of RAF Akrotiri said minutes after the vote had gone through as a jet took off in the background...
Community Veteran

Well seeing as the Defense Secretary said on pretty much every news channel that the UK would not carry out immediate armed attacks (on Fri night), I think it's more that he's just wrong (again).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

3 days later and 5 missions and they haven't dropped a single bit of ordnance http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29405978
nanotm
Pro

indeed however they are still fully armed and ready to drop it if they find a target, of course as British taxpayers we should be happy there not dropping on every chance target like the yanks often do, for one thing its saving us half a million quid every time they come back fully armed and we don't need to pay for a reload  never mind having to deal with the moral uproar every time there is a suggestion of miss drops or collateral damage (civilian casualties) harming the directive's and the troops ability to do the job
Community Veteran

But still not engaged are they?