cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parliament Square

Community Veteran

Parliament Square

The protesters who have been camped in Parliament Square for about 2 months were evicted earlier this week and the authorities are in the process of cleaning up the Square and making it possible for ordinary people to use it again.
Parliament Square
Is it right that a small group of individuals should be allowed to camp out like this and cause so much mess which the taxpayers will have to pay to clean up?
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Parliament Square

I think we should have sent in the tanks....
(please note that was a joke)
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Covering your back there adiewoo - saves getting in trouble with the mods Wink Wink
Personally I think the authorities took a too lenient attitude to resolving the problem.

The mods are the least of my worrries Cheesy
They should have been made to do community service to repair the damage they have done.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

That would have been a shock to their system - many of them had possibly not done a day's work in their life.  Some of the people interviewed seemed to be professional protesters.
alanb
Grafter

I reckon one day is more than enough for anybody to make their protest.
It's not as if protesting in a tent, or making it last longer, makes it a more legitimate or meaningful protest.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: artmo
That would have been a shock to their system - many of them had possibly not done a day's work in their life.  Some of the people interviewed seemed to be professional protesters.

They must have to have a break now and again .. well once a fortnight at least.
I wonder where the nearest Jobcentre Plus is around Westminster Roll eyes
Community Veteran

And their benefits are being paid out of our pockets Angry
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

So a message of peace by peaceful protesters in a high profile location seems to have been too difficult for your average Chit Chat poster to comprehend?  Shocked

No that's fine, don't think you'll find anything against the protest per se, more the damage they have done and the way they behave.
Not sure if I'd call climate change protesting a message of peace, but there you go. Not all were anti-war protests.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I have nothing against people protesting but not when they prevent others from enjoying their own freedoms. 
In London we have one of the most famous protesting places in the world at Speakers Corner.  Why not go there to make their point.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Apart from the disruption, damage and ill feeling; does protesting actually achieve anything? apart from voicing an opinion that is largely ignored by the targets of the protest, and alienation of those they should be trying to encourage.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

It gives us something to chat about Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Boris said that he was going to demand that the protesters pay the legal fees involved.  I can't imagine he'll get anywhere but at the least they should be made to clear up the mess they've made.