cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking

Strat
Fixes: 506

Parking

I have just counted the cars parked on our road. There are 20 including mine.

It's not a long road and just wide enough for 2 cars to pass.

Of the 20 cars parked up, 3 are parked the correct* way facing the direction of travel.

17 are incorrectly* parked facing oncoming traffic.

What I don't understand is why they do this as it means they move off blind, particularly if the vehicle in front of them is a van (there are 3 of those on the road).

Sometimes they have a front seat passenger who can be their eyes up and down the road but they shouldn't have to rely on another person in this situation particularly if this other person is a non driver.

It's also inconsiderate to their passenger who is forced to exit the vehicle onto what could be a busy road while they (the driver) steps out safely onto the footpath.

When I say 'incorrectly' I'm referring more to at night when it is illegal.

*Rule 248

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.

Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

20 REPLIES 20
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Parking

Across the road from us... ( not directly - but one house to the right)... is a disabled person.... the driver of the car, has requested that the highways mark up the space for a Disabled parking space... which they did.... the driver of the car, has ALWAYS parked with the front end, or the rear end, depending on which way they enter the road (both ends are open).  with about 18 inches to 2 feet of the car "trespassing" on their neighbours section.. ( I.e. over the "Building line" )..  Since the parking bay was painted to end at the "building line"... She has continued to park the same way...  a few days later... the guy from the highways came to repaint the bay....  longer.... by extending it the full width of the disabled persons "frontage"... ( overheard the driver talking to the highways guy, that the bay was too small, and in the wrong place for her to park correctly...)  the car is a small saloon car,...(normal size)  not a big transit van type thing.... .

the driver still parks the same way ... How IGNORANT is that. ?

p.s.  the neighbours have two cars that they try to park on their front garden space .. but because of the ignorant driver, it is difficult for them to do so ...

shutter
Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:-

I have just counted the cars parked on our road. There are 20 including mine.

Not much on the telly , then, eh ? Cheesy

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Strat

Not sure why you don't know why people park this way ?

The answer is simple.........too lazy to park the correct way, forgotten everything they ever learned about the highway code, completely oblivious to the risk to other road users when driving off....even more risky if a large van is parked in front of them.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Strat

@shutter It's good to have a little grumble occasionally.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's all down to laziness with more than a hint of ignorance I'd say. Every time we park on our drive we reverse in so the car can be driven off in the (albeit obvious) correct direction. What really gets my goat is that some neighbours who have more cars than drive spaces still occupy the bays designed for 'visitor' parking. The road outside doesn't lend itself to on street parking as it's a very small t shaped cul de sac so 9/10 all of the guest parking is already taken up by residents.

Strat

It takes residents on our road a greater distance in order to park incorrectly than it does correctly.

It also annoys me when they park in such a way that there is 3/4 of a car length in front of them thus depriving someone of a much needed space. Also inconsiderate.

I don't have a drive and the council replaced all the lighting in the area with LED units and planted one right in the middle of where a drive would start if I chose to have one now.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@shutter wrote:

highways mark up the space for a Disabled parking space

Of course if any nearby drivers have a disabled badge there's nothing to stop them parking in that bay as disabled bays are not reserved for the house they are outside of. Unless you have different regulations where you are.

The one thing that annoys me about some peoples parking is when you see someone with the door wide open unloading their baby into the busy main road traffic.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

@Anonymous wrote:

Every time we park on our drive we reverse in so the car can be driven off in the (albeit obvious) correct direction.

I have a drive, ending in my garage, which I use. I need my car nose first into the garage, with not width to turn round, so I then have to reverse out. Were it not for that fact, I would reverse into my drive - better, easier and safer to get back out.

What really annoys me, is that our street has low kerbs and drivers all seem to park blocking the quite narrow footpaths - many of them blocking it completely. I really do not understand why they do this, maybe a matter of denying others the use of the footpath outside their home. The actual road is of a width, where vehicles can still easily get past even if they park as they should on the road, but even when they block the footpath completely - two vehicles cannot pass simultaneously and safely, so nothing is gained in blocking the footpath at all.

Its simply weird why they do this, forcing pedestrians, kids and those on disability scooters to go out in the often busy road to get past their parked cars.. 

shutter
Community Veteran

Just taken a pic of the Disabled parker ! ! 001_800x436.JPG

You can clearly see, the original parking area, was big enough for the car... and the "increased" area ..... yet she still parks like this...

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@shutterI'm sure modern cars have reverse gear, don't they?Crazy2

John
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Looking at the photo, your drive does not appear to have a dropped kerb, which is a legal requirement for you to drive over the footpath to access your drive - perhaps that is why he does it? You have no right to complain of your drive access being obstructed, unless you have that essential dropped kerb. Seems petty though..

shutter
Community Veteran

@harrym1byt  Erm.... two points of order.... 1st.... I am not complaining, about MY access.... as you cannot see my kerb, I fail to see how you assume that .....

2nd... The neighbour of the offender, does have dropped kerb..

My post, was not a "complaint" more of a "rant" about inconsiderate / ignorant parking... as with the O.P.

shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1 wrote:

@shutterI'm sure modern cars have reverse gear, don't they?Crazy2

Agreed.... but also, they have efficient brakes.... in this case... she has failed to use either correctly .... Angry

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

In other words - she's an inconsiderate/dangerous driver.

John