Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking, what a pain.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Parking, what a pain.

Warning, long post !

So arrived in the car park of a local town and went to get a parking ticket......This machine takes cards only !

Never used these before always cash so here goes....

Put car reg number in....ok

Put credit/debit card in.....ok

Press gray button for length of stay (4 gray buttons) first button pressed display shows 1 hour, second button pressed still shows 1 hour, 4th button pressed, display shows error, returns to main screen......please enter registeration number !

Above repeated about 3 times trying various combinations of the 4 gray buttons....no joy.

Phone number above the machine indicates you can phone and pay...recorded voice says is this first time you have used this system...yes.......do you want to download the app ?....no my phone is just a phone 2G . press continue....enter your pin number....

What (censored ) pin number ?

Then a angel appears in the form of a young girl who has just parked her car and gets a ticket out of the machine within ten seconds, can you help me out with this ?

We go through the process again, and she pressed the buttons so fast I doubt I could remember that combination but correct time is displayed.....great......but.....no ticket issued ?

Seems I removed my card to quickly so whole process is repeated again, finally for the last time.  Success !

Ever felt old ? I certainly did today.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
30 REPLIES 30
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Parking, what a pain.

@gleneagles  being "a local town"... one would have thought that you would know the "alternative" parking sites ! ... certainly I would have driven off, ... but... there again... if a "pretty girl" came along,.. It would be worth hanging around !.. just for the excitement.. ( at our age ! ! ! ! ! ! ) . Cheesy

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@shutter You still get excitedawe.gif

More like we could get exited, if we did!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I disagree with the parking meters that insist on taking your registration. Why shouldn't I be able to give the unexpired portion of my ticket to someone that only wants to pop in the local shop to collect something? It's all about the money Ticked_off

Mark

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Luzern  Oh Yeah

.... but don`t let the missus know... !   Wink

PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Local multistory car parks to me have been pay on foot for several years.

Collect your ticket at barrier on way in, then present ticket to pay machines to pay charge before returning to your car & sticking your ticket in to exit barrier to leave car park.

No matter how many warming signs are displayed about paying for your parking at a pay machine before returning to your car & trying to leave the car park, there is always at least one car blocking an exit barrier where someone has arrived & forgotten to pay.

You actually have to walk past the pay machines to get to the lifts to access the car park.
ffox
Pro

A couple of years ago we were stumped by the Cowes chain ferry ticket machine one dark evening. It has 2 keypads, and were were inputting the numbers on the wrong one!

CCF.jpg

Our station car park machine is similar. Also some car park machines need the full reg, but in a different town it might be just the number. They are all easy once you get used to the particular models but can be a nightmare for strangers.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Marksfish wrote:

I disagree with the parking meters that insist on taking your registration. It's all about the money

Some of the towns around here allow you Free parking for a couple of hours, once per day. One reason they ask for the reg. You can't get it free then move on to another and try the same trick. Not that the shopping is much good.

Worse and cheapest is in Lincoln. You can park for 24 hours for about a fiver in one of the multi storey. Half a mile away, the other would make your eyes water and your wallet considerably lighter. How does £20 (9.00-17.30) sound?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Mayfly
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

I gave up using the card only machines in Lincoln. It always took ages and ages to get a response from the machine and invariably ended in saying 'Sorry transaction can not be completed. Please ring the above number'.

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

@gleneagles  being "a local town"... one would have thought that you would know the "alternative" parking sites ! ... certainly I would have driven off, ... but... there again... if a "pretty girl" came along,.. It would be worth hanging around !.. just for the excitement.. ( at our age ! ! ! ! ! ! ) . Cheesy

The town was Bolton, not been there for a number of years.

Used the same car park as last time, much more fancier now, last time it was just a patch of rough land but the meter took coins.

Walking around the place which has changed a lot all the street parking meters were the same, card only, so I suspect most of the other car parks except the multi story are the same, trouble with using those is the danger of suddenly finding yourself in a bus lane or the wrong lane.

Worth going as they have a excellent exhibition of Egyptology, much better than the one in Manchester.

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Mayfly wrote:

I gave up using the card only machines in Lincoln. It always took ages and ages to get a response from the machine and invariably ended in saying 'Sorry transaction can not be completed. Please ring the above number'.

Ah, so it's not just me.

Wink

Mayfly
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

No definitely not.

Not sure if it's age thing as I'm also having problems setting my new wifi heating control.  Grrr.......

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Cor parking is something I know about.

No I wasn't a traffic warden (or whatever the PC name for it is now). [-Censored-] that.

I was in maintenance. Making sure all the machines were working.

It was my student job while I were in uni, and we had to do the cash run at 6am, go through the Pay and Displays and I mainly did the admin paperwork side in the van. Collecting the cash boxes and doing the parking meters.

Thing is we were in a council marked van, with obviously the keys to collect the boxes.

Easy job, problem is we had the keys to collect the boxes which was obvious. All I were wearing was plain clothes and steel toecapped shoes. Oh and I had council ID.

Easy but a scary job, for obvious reasons. I won't go into the figure here but the amount of cash we were carrying were in the thousands, and we were always worried someone would do something nasty to us.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Alex Were you under instruction to randomly vary your routes to and from the machines? That's what banks advised for transporting cash.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Nope we just did it in the way we did.