Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking ticket

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Parking ticket

In all my over fifty years driving I have seen something I have never seen before

A driver of a 17 plate BMW parked on double yellow lines  got out looked round to see who was about and stuck a yellow parking ticket on the windscreen

Very clever or plain cheeky

Brian A

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: Parking ticket

BMW and Audi drivers also stick questionable disabled cards on the dash when parking in disabled spaces ( but some still don't bother ) - my wifes ex-boss kept badgering his GP for a disabled permit even though there was absolutely wrong with him, he got one in the end.  He also got off a speeding ticket doing over 45 in 30 limit by having the dosh to hire an expensive lawyer ( would have taken him up to 12 points ),   Makes you think you get the justice you can afford.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

A bit of both if it works, but there's nothing to stop him from getting a real ticket if the parking enforcer is on the ball.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 18

Some drivers seem to believe that hazard warning lights prevent a ticket. Sad

When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.
Highlighted
Fixes: 414

That reminds me of a TV program some time ago where I believe young drivers had to improve their driving to win a car.

One contestant famously said "If you want to use the bus lane, indicate".

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I suppose it must depend on the area as here I sometimes see cars with several parking tickets stuck on them.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Anonymous wrote:

A bit of both if it works, but there's nothing to stop him from getting a real ticket if the parking enforcer is on the ball.

Typically they will have one or two officers per patrol beat. If one, they'll know who they have / haven't issued a ticket to - they'll realise they've been taken for a ride and issue a ticket.

If two officers (or more) then they'll just look at the existing ticket and see that it's not been issued by them and issue.

I worked in parking enforcement once, used to see tickets already on cars daily. It's not a big issue at all. People will try it on, what they don't realise is that parking enforcement staff are used to it and several steps ahead. I used to get names quoted at me of my manager, council CEO etc.. made no difference, if i'd issued a ticket then it was issued - your mate the CEO or parking manager will deal with it for you if you're such good pals. We did have one councillor who never used to bother paying any, he'd appeal it to make it look formal and then it would just get written off. Needless to say a year or two after i left he was arrested for corruption.

@198kHz wrote:

Some drivers seem to believe that hazard warning lights prevent a ticket. Sad

Nope, the "Book me, book me" lights make no difference, in fact they tend to make the car easier to spot breaking the rules - every parking enforcement officer will see those bright orange flashy lights far quicker and easier than a car without them flashing. I had several people say "but i had my hazards on" - yes, that's how i noticed you..

Ultimately though its a trashy job in a trashy industry with trashy people constantly looking to have a spat with you. I was very good at the conflict management side of it - i could literally talk anyone round whereas i had other colleagues who'd get into shouting matches etc - but the hardest part of it was the parking managers who were never happy about anything unless you were on the "sweetheart shift" as we used to call it. I'd never work in that industry again..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

There are no excuses for those who park on double lines unless they are either directed to do so by a police officer, have a medical emergency such as a heart attack or their car breaks down.

No doubt a ticket would be issued but withdrawn on appeal.

The main reason why people park on double lines is becase they are lazy or selfish, with the excuse of ' I was only gone for a minute'

The rest of us have to pay to park, if you can afford to have a car then you can afford to park.

Having said that the increasing cost of legal parking is getting silly, just a cash cow for councils, parking fees should be capped for at least the next 5 years.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote  "Book me, book me" lights make no difference, in fact they tend to make the car easier to spot breaking the rules - every parking enforcement officer will see those bright orange flashy lights far quicker and easier than a car without them flashing. I had several people say "but i had my hazards on" - yes, that's how i noticed you..

Before I retired I worked in the Electricity Supply Industry a HV authorised first response had been sent to insolate the 11KV supply to a factory which was on fire at the request of Fire Control

He parked his large Ford 4x4 with the companies logo and 4 flashing orange lights next to the 2 fire engines and police cars the road had already been closed by police

When he returned from the sub station a ticket was on the windscreen

The fireman who was in the fire engine said he had told the warden what the driver was doing but it made no difference

Brian A

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

@Anonymous That's an interesting statement - but what was a parking warden doing on a road closed by police, and therefore, presumably, not accessible to the general public and under the control of the emergency services?

John
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

The road had been closed to vehicles because of the fire engines  but pedestrians could walk through on the other side footpath 

It may be traffic wardens have to meet targets or was just an idiot

Just to say the penalty was not paid and but was talked about for months 

Brian A

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

I would say he was an idiot, but that's just my personal opinion.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

There are no excuses for those who park on double lines unless they are either directed to do so by a police officer, have a medical emergency such as a heart attack or their car breaks down.

No doubt a ticket would be issued but withdrawn on appeal.

The main reason why people park on double lines is becase they are lazy or selfish, with the excuse of ' I was only gone for a minute'

There's loads of excuses - trust me i've heard them all many times. Also disabled badge holders CAN park on yellows legally (and everywhere else like loading bays in their eyes). There are plenty of legit excuses too. If you know a decent way to pull the wool over a parking managers eyes its easy to get a ticket written off although you often need a couple of helping factors. 

As for the lazy aspect, the number of people who stop for teh cash machine, bakers, post / pickup a parcel etc.. limitless. It happens every day and they go mental when they get caught.

Many moons ago i had a colleague who once challenged a motorist who pulled up to use the cash machine. My colleague said not to do it as he could print off a ticket far quicker than he could get cash and that he'd need to get an extra £30 out. The fella took up the challenge and they raced each other. The motorist lost but shook my colleagues hand and said fair enough! They ain't all bad..

The troublesome ones are the ones with money - which literally buys you a licence to park anywhere you want in decriminalised parking areas. Every council has them, a customer who's got so much money they just leave their card details with the parking dept and let them help themselves for every ticket issued. They get to cause unlimited parking problems and don't give a damn about anyone.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

Mentioned before, but ours is small market town with an even smaller high street with no alternative route for farm tractors, cattle trucks and trailers loaded with sheep as they cross over the river and County border . So when as often happens a vehicle parks up with hazards, without hazards or display that increasingly ubiquitous disability sticker, then all hell breaks loose as traffic becomes jammed. 

Police never, parking wardens rarely, annoyed and frustrated roads users always. 

Too many cars on our road of course, but far too many self centred folks with little or no regard for others seem to be on the increase as well. 

As for those cars parks, Councils, Hospitals and others often wash their hands of it all as quite often it has been contracted out to a private and therefore profit making company that are more than happy to bung them a few quid for the privilege.

Don't rock the boat hush money? Perish the thought. Roll_eyes 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Anonymous wrote:

Before I retired I worked in the Electricity Supply Industry a HV authorised first response had been sent to insolate the 11KV supply to a factory which was on fire at the request of Fire Control

He parked his large Ford 4x4 with the companies logo and 4 flashing orange lights next to the 2 fire engines and police cars the road had already been closed by police

When he returned from the sub station a ticket was on the windscreen

The fireman who was in the fire engine said he had told the warden what the driver was doing but it made no difference

Utilities companies / contractors are exempt under the RTA and TMA so any tickets issued to them are unlikely to be enforceable. So are bullion wagons (Group 4 / Securitas type vehicles), emergency service vehicles, refuse lorries and i believe scaffolders and glaziers too but that might be a local thing however for health and safety purposes they have to be outside the property they are working on anyway so i think the RTA dna TMA probably do cover them.