cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking sensors

Fixes: 125

Parking sensors

My current car has a reverse camera which, at the time of sale, I said was a gimmick I'd probably never use. Over the last 6.5 years I've found it invaluable in allowing me to park in some very tight spots. It's also enabled me to get out of some tight ones, too, especially when someone has parked too close in front and behind of me.
My new Zafira is due to be delivered later this month and doesn't have a camera but I was offered front/rear parking sensors at around £350. I decided against them as I'd managed without any such aids for 16 years before I got my Primera.
So, I am wondering what other feel about parking sensors. Are they worth the money, a gimmicky extra or something that wouldn't bother you if you had them or not?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

45 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Parking sensors

I had reverse sensors fitted (professionally around £90 if I remember) to my car, having had them before in previous cars. I think they're a great aid, many hutch backs I find are surprisingly difficult to judge the rear length of. I can and do reverse park a 40 foot coach within 6 inches of a rear wall without assistance, but find difficulty judging where the rear of my car is. Certainly the sensors tell me to stop long before I would do without them.
Its got a lot to do with the number of hidden over-hangs on modern cars I think, the view out the rear window misses that there is probably another 8 inches to go before the hutch turns down after this there is a sizeable bumper further out that you can't see.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I found them useful when driving large LWB vans recently as you can't always see what is behind you or if someone is hovering round the back of the van.
Never had them on any of my cars although I have a set I was intending to retrofit onto my Astra.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: Petlew
I think they're a great aid, many hutch backs I find are surprisingly difficult to judge the rear length of.
A very apposite description  Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Mav

My new Zafira is due to be delivered later this month and doesn't have a camera but I was offered front/rear parking sensors at around £350. I decided against them as I'd managed without any such aids for 16 years before I got my Primera.
So, I am wondering what other feel about parking sensors. Are they worth the money, a gimmicky extra or something that wouldn't bother you if you had them or not?

Well, that seems to be a bit of a Rip-Off...... check this out....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REVERSING-REAR-VIEW-CAMERA-PARKING-KIT-4-3-LCD-TFT-MONITOR-CAR-VAN-Cable-U...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
I think they're a great aid, many hutch backs I find are surprisingly difficult to judge the rear length of.
A very apposite description  Grin Grin

What's Quasimodo got to do with it?  Cheesy
Fixes: 125

I think they're a great aid, many hutch backs I find are surprisingly difficult to judge
No idea what you are all rabbiting on about Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've never had anything to help me reversing but I still voted for the gimmick. I know of one lady (note stop reading now if you think you will accuse me of being 'blondist') who had a 3Ltr Ford Mondeo with reversing sensors. Lovely lady but absolutely useless at driving and parking. Despite the sensors she still managed to write off one of her clients rare imported cars and she'd been using the sensors at the time.. she was blonde though.
I came across another chap once in a big expensive 4x4 with reversing camera.. it could even plot the cars turning curve on the screen. Yeah, he got into his parking space brilliantly but didn't leave much room for the doors to open - on his or the neighbouring cars. Only a matter of time before a kid slams one door into another car.
So yeah.. gimmicks the lot of them. Granted I do love gadgets and gimmicks but when it comes to reversing I still think that you should be able to use your skill. The only time I've had an accident when reversing is with a bollard - you know the stupidly short ones in the middle of the parking back that you simply can't see or gauge when reversing. I doubt sonic sensors would pick those up either.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

This is my fourth car with reversing sensors. Wouldn't be without them now - they are so useful!
I always get the 'JML' type that you fit yourself. Cost is less than £20!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

I've never used them. I rely on the internal and 2 side mirrors.
Community Veteran

I miss the "parking sensors" on my old Fiat 124.
The thick rubber strips on the steel bumpers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I fitted a set of wireless ones to my estate, very useful when reversing into spaces where you can't see what's LOW behind you, like those bollards they have in some carparks, it has L+R distance and is surprisingly accurate - it takes the distance from my towbar as 0 not the bumper which is useful.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Decided to fit some rear sensors to my car but the amount of stuff that needed to be taken apart just to get at the inside of the rear bumper put me off so I went for a rear camera set up off e-bay. The camera gives a wide angle view and is excellent for seeing what's behind you but one problem I did have was trying to reverse up my drive by following the picture at the edge of the camera I was way out due to it.s wide angle but a very small dab of paint on the camera after checking the exact spot with an elastic band has sort that problem out.
Had I spent a further £20 there would have been no need to do that as markers in the more expensive ones are shown on the screen
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav

No idea what you are all rabbiting on about,,,

That's not bunny.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It could be Bugs !