Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking on double yellow lines

shalom2010
Grafter

Parking on double yellow lines

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23488437
In theory this seems like a good idea, but it's so full of flaws I don't see it ever getting anywhere.
As an example we have a hairdresser's right on the junction with a main road, with a double line round the corner of our road and the main road. There are regular idiots
that park on the junction outside the hairdressers to let someone in or out causing no end of problems trying to pull out from out road to the main (busy road)
blocking the view of incoming traffic. Plus if you are turning left from the main road into my road you almost hit the idiot who has parked outside the hairdresser's!
Double yellow lines need to enforced. I'm sure there are some lines that need reviewing but they are there for a purpose.
What do you think of this idea?
45 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Parking on double yellow lines

There is talk of having a different colour for 15 minute free parking lines.
Personally, I would think 30 minutes is a better option, though not as easy for Wardens to enforce.
shalom2010
Grafter

Well the easy solution is to drop the price of car parks (or better still have an hour or so free!) - but as car parking (like hospital parking) is just to make up
for the shortfall from government, it will never happen.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

All they need to do is to replace the double yeller`s with broken single....  and that should be done with Road Safety in mind.... not business needs....
as I understand the rules....
sometimes = broken yeller  ( "some" times are posted on a sign post )
maybe = single yeller    ( "Maybe" you can park here after 6 pm - see the sign post )
never = double yeller  "Never".... definitely NO parking any time - see the sign post)

The alternative would be to make one side of the street limited period parking... ( say 30 minutes )... with traffic lights controlling the flow of traffic in the other lane....  Yeah there would be congestion,
but.... people would soon get used to that, and find an alternate route....
and I agree with shalom about parking prices..
Infinity
Pro

My local Village has 20 minutes free High Street parking, regular Wardens, and is always very busy, with parking spaces regularly becoming available.
Plus several nearby Car Parks, free for up to 2 hours each.
As mentioned, a very busy High Street, lots of pedestrian traffic too, many people just walk into the Village, plus Free Bus Travel for over 60's, and other qualifying locals.
itsme
Grafter

Since when have the free bus passes been free for the over 60's? It's closer to 62 now
Community Veteran

If those responsible for marking roads with the highest level of parking restrictions worked purely on safety/traffic grounds then double yellows mean no parking ever for anyone.
But in reality we all know it's not done like that; there are plenty of double-yellow lines where parking would cause no problems at all, other than maybe "revenue" issues.  Lips are sealed
For example, how can loading/unloading be allowed for a brief period if stopping there isn't safe or blocks traffic?
The responsible "authorities" need to have parking restrictions that have some clear logic behind them, to cater for all the different types of road user.
If that means (as it often does) designated areas for different categories so be it, but make it fair and logical.
If the reasons for restrictions are obvious people will respect them.
There are some weird restrictions in an area I visit a little way from me, designed to discourage all-day on-street parking by people using the nearby station.
But the way it's implemented is a PITA if you are visiting or working at one of the properties in that area as certain times are totally blocked with no parking allowed at all.
I can only assume that they've made it apply in such a way that they can collect fines easily for transgressors rather than actually manage the problem more sensibly.
They don't even issue permits to residents for use by themselves or visitors/tradesmen.
Fixes: 125

I'd prefer 30 minutes free parking. There are people who are a little slower getting in and out of their cars as well as the potential of a queue delaying the getaway.
Richard Littlejohn gives his take on it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Pro

Quote from: itsme
Since when have the free bus passes been free for the over 60's? It's closer to 62 now

It's over 60 where I live !!!
Enlightened Derbyshire...

http://www.highpeak.gov.uk/hp/council-services/car-parks-and-transport/free-bus-travel
http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/public_transport/tickets_passes/concessionary_fares/gol...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Disabled people can park on Double yellers.... supposedly to enable them to go in... do a shop... and come out again.... ( reasonably short period of time )... however... SOME disabled people abuse the system, and park in the most rediculous places without consideration for traffic flow or safety.... and say... " Well, I am disabled"  so I can do it...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: PlusComUK
It's over 60 where I live !!!
Enlightened Derbyshire...
Noit isn't
Applying for Gold Card − changes to age eligibility
If you are turning 60 please be aware that there are changes to when you can apply for a Gold Card.
Before April 6 2010 you automatically qualified for a Gold Card on your 60th birthday. But if you are born on or after April 6 1950 you will have to wait longer to get your card.
The changes affect anyone born on or after April 6 1950 to April 5 1955.
These changes are being brought in across the country − not just in Derbyshire. They are to do with bringing age-related benefits, like free bus travel, in line with the state pension age of 65 for both men and women.
If you were 60 before 6 April 2010 but still do not have a Gold Card then you can apply for one straight away.
Infinity
Pro

I actually spoke to a local Traffic Warden yesterday on this, he said, the policy locally at least, is that he has to stand and watch for 5 minutes, to confirm any offence, before he can issue a ticket, or a warning.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: shutter
.... ( reasonably short period of time )...

That reasonably short period of time is 3 hours. I was surprised it was this long but have needed it on many occasions when taking my dear old mum shopping.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Pro

Quote from: Oldjim

If you were 60 before 6 April 2010 but still do not have a Gold Card then you can apply for one straight away.

This still holds true.
But yes, they are gradually introducing a higher Age limit.
Community Veteran

As I already said in the the previous discussion on double yellow lines, a lot are just there because it's not viable or cost effective to have a parking meter in place. Clearly it would be fine to park in those places.
But on the other hand some yellow lines are there because it would not be safe to park.
So some sort of new signs would be needed. As this is only going to be in shopping areas and the like the easiest way would be to just to come up with a new roadside line. Something line the green line means you can park there for fifteen minutes.
My bet is on councils coming up with the most inconvenient and expensive options involving hundreds of sign posts and having to buy a yearly parking pass/disc.