cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking on Pavements

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Re: Parking on Pavements

There is also the question of cycle lanes where a section of the road is marked out for them, not uncommon to see cars half parked on the pavement and on the cycle lane.

I agree a bit of common sense and consideration to the needs of others should be applied  but unfortunately there seems to be a increasing number of people who are oblivious to any problems they might cause.

I suspect a blanket ban will be enforced on the basis if it works in London it should work anywhere.

The other reason it's likely to be implemented, is money, think of the thousands raised in fines for the councils coffers.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Interesting point @gleneagles. How many of us know the restrictions against  parking in cycle lanes ?

I’ve looked it up and i’m still not sure where I can or cannot park....

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

... i’m still not sure where I can or cannot park....

I know where I can park my bike.  :rolleyes:

I'll get my coat (and helmet).

TeeGee
Rising Star

It is parking on the road that bothers me!  Turning busy roads into single file but two way traffic is a farce.  It can't do a ;ot for either traffic flow or air pollution. I was in Dorking last week.......:embarrassed:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Too many cars, not enough road... park on pavement.

In town is one issue of course as the unthinking and uncaring park up as near to the shops as they can rather than somewhere far more sensible. It really grinds my gears.

I have also noticed the sheer number of cars there are on now an estate where one of our daughters live. From being single car families in the early years it has now matured as income has risen, families have grown and the number of cars have mushroomed. Single drive you must be joking, even a double drive is no longer enough with at least half of the houses having three or more cars. With two cars already in the family, how much longer before my granddaughter also wants to have her own car... and where we might all ask is she going to park it.

No wonder front gardens are being turned into parking spaces, but how sad.

Community Veteran

There are a few places around here where the pavement is deliberately wide to allow cars to park but still more than enough pavement to use. They have been like that for many decades the only place for those houses cars to park. All a blanket ban would mean here is for the rate payers to pay for ugly lines to get marked on those pavements to show the car parking spaces that everyone already knows are there.

@Minivanman wrote:

No wonder front gardens are being turned into parking spaces

Or places to put a row of wheelie bins.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@billnotben 

A plague on wheelie bins, a twenty first century Council inspired obstruction nightmare.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yes, what in many places used to be a pretty little flowery front garden are now basically rubbish dumps.

Minesapint
Pro

@TeeGee wrote:

It is parking on the road that bothers me!  Turning busy roads into single file but two way traffic is a farce.  It can't do a ;ot for either traffic flow or air pollution. I was in Dorking last week.......:embarrassed:

It's a nightmare around here. There's one village where the main street, (also the main road) is a virtual one way system.

Council? "It helps with traffic calming"

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Daughters next door neighour has a house on the corner with two cars parked in their drive, one parked halfway across pavement in front and a fourth one again on the pavement in front, but right on the corner. This means that in order to turn into the road she had to swing out in order to clear it. All nice cars (the corner one is a newish Audi) and sure that's not the point, but how the heck it's not been clouted is beyond me. 

Unthinking and uncaring as said, as the same person not has only a huge tree overhanging into her garden, but their back garden 'hedge' is what is now one huge bamboo plant so it's a constant battle to keep it from spreading across her back garden lawn such as it is with these modern houses. 

The entire estate now resembles one huge posh cars car park outside houses where gardens have fully matured giving less space front, back and sides for everybody.

Solution? Brexit would be easier!

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman  Front and rear parking sensors?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Luzern 

Blinkers more like, and not the sort that you find on cars either.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Driveway obstructions? What are those? :evil:

1_nZJNtxV3kFBnaOjYjJ5fwg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman 

You are spot on with that post, same thing applies here, seems everyone in the family must have a car once they reach a certain age add to that visitors cars and the place becomes one huge car park.

Not uncommon to see cars parked on double yellow lines, with the owner just going into a shop or the bank for 'a few minutes' but to lazy or too tight to pay for the nearby car park which is far from full.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

@Luzern 

Blinkers more like, and not the sort that you find on cars either.

@Minivanman Blinkers! They have a lot of horses parked near you then, or you're a neighbour of the local steptoe?:2funnysteptoe blinkers.gif

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.