cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking Ticket

Community Veteran

Parking Ticket

Not sure how things work in England, Scotland and Wales but here in NI I got a parking ticket on Saturday afternoon in my local town.
This happened bucause I was parked for 1 hour and 2 minutes in a zone where you are only allowed to park for 1 hour. This was outside my dad's old flat as I was helping him move house. He is a pensioner and not in the best of health. All of this was plain to see for the traffic warden who could clearly see what we were doing, loading things like a microwave etc into the car.
We were locking up and getting ready to leave when he issued the ticket. He did not warn me or ask me to move the car. I pulled the ticket from under the wiper just after he placed it there and read it while he continued to write in a little notebook. I knew better than to approach him as this was outside the local police station and I was absolutely prepared to knock him out!
My question is this: Why does it state on the roads service for NI website that these people are not on commission when it is clear to see from this behaviour that they are. Either that or they are just plain evil people?
I have appealed the ticket in writing based on the circumstances and have made it clear that I will NOT pe paying under any circumstances. I honestly don't care if I end up in court oweing them thousands, they are not getting a penny!
18 REPLIES
scootie
Grafter

Re: Parking Ticket

going back 10 years a friend of mine broke down at a bus station and managed to roll the car down to some parking spaces that was used for market traders to park once they had set there stalls up. this happend in the evening after market had shut up. we left the bonnet up why we walked to a local garge to buy a new clutch cable when got back we had a ticket. even to a blind person the was enough evidnce left to feel that it was broken down yet a parking nazi with sight ticketed it.
he wrote letter of objication and won also happend to him again a week later parked at side of a mainish road a mile from town and guess what got back to a ticket got that one scraped as well. didnt have to go to court.
you stand a gd chance with your case
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Would he have seen you loading the car? Does the restriction apply if you are loading?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I was finishing loading the car while he was issueing the ticket!
Community Veteran

Over here - there have been many cases of tickets being put on fire engines, ambulances out on a shout, and of herses outside churches.
But on appeal to the council - they were canceled.
So good luck
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Sean
Why does it state on the roads service for NI website that these people are not on commission when it is clear to see from this behaviour that they are. Either that or they are just plain evil people?

Because they're under pressure to get tickets or be accused of skiving. Over here in the UK the government outlawed setting any targets for parking penalties but it still hasn't stopped the councils from setting them. The one I work for still demands an average of 5 per day. Sometimes when you're issuing a ticket its easier not to get into any long winded conversations as it makes things very complicated and it all has to be written down in the pocket book.
Loading is normally permitted in limited waiting areas but its down to the local authority. There are some that don't allow it at all unless you have a prior agreement with them or a waiver (which basically means for a fee you suddenly get to park illegally legally - money works miracles doesn't it).
Appeal the penalty Sean. 2 minutes is bang out of order but you must be SURE you were literally 2 minutes over. If you're just saying 2 minutes to let off steam but were really anything from 5-15 mins over you don't have a leg to stand on as the issuing officer will have already taken note of your vehicle earlier that day before returning to see if its still there. In case you're wondering, its done by valve positions. If your front wheels valve is at the 6 o'clock position and your rear is at the 9 and 1.5 hours later they're still the same the car hasn't moved and has over stayed. Also if the officer returns BEFORE the hour is up and finds your valves have changed you can be done for returning within the prohibited time.
If you were literally just 2 minutes over and the officers notes confirm this the chances are fairly decent you can get the ticket quashed at appeal. Be warned though that some councils parking depts are very good at putting a case forward and fighting it and winning. Some are useless but the ones that are good at enforcing their tickets are a force to be reckoned with and if you don't pay up you'll soon find the bailiffs at the door with a wheel clamp on your car to ensure prompt payment. Not nice I know and to be honest I question the tactic myself as its essentially bullying money out of people.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

First of all I didn't know you were a traffic warden. Feel a little guilty now for letting of steam.  Wink
Seriously though (a week later) I still feel that my personal experience on Saturday was bang out of order. It was 2 minutes as that is what is printed on the PCN. 1344 to 1446 (when I was preparing to leave).
I posted my appeal first thing Monday Morning detailing the circumstances including documentation proving my fathers address, his current health issues and the fact that he was moving house.
I am confident that this ticket will get canceled from stories I have heard locally this week and by what I have read on the website. If not, bring on the bailiffs. My car is worth about £500. I have had bigger problems with banks demanding money that I did not have but eventually giving in to accepting what I could afford. I have no fear of this rubbish. Too many people nowdays give in instead of standing up. That is exactly why the rich and powerful can continue to do as they please while hard working honest people will still be shafted at every opportunity by large companies, banks, the courts etc.
I am definitely not going to give in this time. Will keep you posted.
Community Veteran

It was 2 minutes as that is what is printed on the PCN. 1344 to 1446 (when I was preparing to leave).

You could have been parked there for less than an hour!
Did you record the time you parked the car accurately, to the minute? I bet you didn't!
These traffic wardens get away with murder, you could have arrived at 13.50 but he marked it up as 13.44.
In Leyland I parked in a one hour bay, but knowing what it is like in this town I checked the time carefully. I returned to the car within the hour and it already had a ticket on it.
The traffic warded had lied with the times on the ticket.
I appealed but it was rejected, of course they believed the lying traffic warden before the honest law abiding citizen. If had seen him I would have certainly knocked him out.
Community Veteran

The ticket was printed by some sort of hand held machine. I can only asume that he inputed my number plate on the machine (which again I asume has a built in clock) when he first seen the car. Then waited until the clock on the machine read over an hour. I also asume that the attendant cannot tamper with the time on this machine. I am not disputing that I was parked for more than an hour.
Community Veteran

Depends when he puts the details in. The machine will only print out what they input to it.
On mine it was hand written
Here's another one.
I was parked in a pay and display car park in Wigan town centre.
I returned to the car, in time I thought, and there was a parking ticket on my windscreen but there was six minutes remaining on my sticker,
I sent the parking ticket off along with my pay and display sticker to the appeals office and it was  quickly cancelled.
Community Veteran

Well he could not have put my reg in before I parked. Wink
Lurker
Grafter

You must of course understand, if he had recorded you being there for 1hr 2mins, you were in breach of the parking regs, regardless of common sense.
Packing officers will most likely not be expected to exercise discretion, instead they should report all transgressions and allow the matter to be dealt with by people authorised to review cases and make decisions.
On this basis, I think you have no right to be angry with the parking officer - he/she was just doing their job.
A second point; If the officer had recorded you as being there at 13:44, unless that officer witnessed you arriving at exactly that time, and recorded it - there is no way for the officer to know whether you arrived 2mins after they completed their last walk of that area 1hr ago.
Its feasible in their mind, that if they last patrolled the area at 12:44, you could have arrived at 12:46 and have actually been parked there for almost double the permitted time.
This is another potential reason why the issuing of a ticket for being a recorded 2mins over the threshold is not a bad thing.

You only have a right to be upset if the appeals process lets you down. At this stage, people have just been doing their jobs, and as my illustration shows, in some cases there would be good reason for them discharging their duties in this manner.
Community Veteran

Except the appeals procedure is fundamentally flawed and designed to encourage to get people to pay the 50% value within fourteen days. It discourages appeals on the basis of time and effort required by the motorist to pursue the appeal.
Statistically the high percentage of tickets overturned on appeal show that the traffic wardens issue a lot of erroneous tickets.
Over 60 per cent of appeals challenging parking tickets, which are heard by independent adjudicators, are successful, but less than one per cent of drivers appeal. With the introduction of changes to the law, councils now have to include information about the right to appeal on parking tickets or when they are issuing a parking fine by post. Before this, many drivers only discovered that they had the right to appeal when their challenge was rejected by the council. Motoring groups say that hundreds of thousands of drivers pay parking tickets that they think are unfair because they don't realise that they can appeal and don't know that they have a high chance of winning if they do so.

source
In other areas of life these activities would be a crime
Another example of people doing their job
Motorist fined for parking outside bay covered in snow
An elderly motorist was handed an £80 fine for failing to park within a designated bay – despite its white lines being hidden under a thick layer of snow.

Telegraph Article
Managing car parking these days is just a revenue raiser for the local authorities.
Community Veteran

Are we talking Traffic Wardens (employed by the Police) or Civil Parking Enforcement Officers (employed by the Council)? Each as different powers / responsibilities and in a lot of areas Traffic Wardens have now been replaced with Civil Parking Enforcement Officers with the downgrading of the parking offense.
Javert
Grafter

Sean: Have read through this a couple of times – and I’m still a bit confused by this.  As I understand it, the Traffic Warden recorded the period he saw you at that spot from 1344 until 1446.  Therefore 1344 –was NOT the time you arrived and parked there but when he first recorded you as being there – can you offer proof of what time you first got there?  He then recorded the time 1446 which was obviously over the time you are permitted to stay there (1 hour).  So, as I see it – you were there longer than the one hour two minutes shown on the Parking Notice issued to you. 
The reason you were parked there would be irrelevant to this case.