cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking Spaces

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Parking Spaces

Seems that an ever increasing number of cars are getting wider & longer but the distance between car parking lines has remained the same (Is there a standard distance?)
So if you park between two large cars or 4 x 4s there is only a few inches left on either side for your door to open and squeeze out.
Clearly you would normally pick a spot where you had ample room to get out but often you have no choice if that is the only space available.
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Parking Spaces

Don't think the size (of the space) has been constant. I have had the same car for 8+ years (its an estate and quite wide) and some of the spaces, esp. in supermarkets etc, are getting NARROWER.
You have NO chance of getting a trolley between cars these days, so if you park nose out (like me & most of the advanced drivers) then you have to man-handle your shopping to the boot.
itsme
Grafter

You not an advanced driver because you have not worked out that you can not load the boot.  Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well given that the advice given to advanced drivers is to park nose out, so that you can SEE*  what is in front of you when you leave the space, I will continue to do it. (not that I have ever done the advanced driving course only the bike one  Wink)
*And given the amount of bashes/bumps that happen in parking lots it is very good advice. I have seen people nearly knocked down when someone reverses out of a space, never mind bumping other cars when 2 reverse at the same time.

EDIT:- This ANNOYING time out bug is getting worse  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Reversing INTO a parking space, actually saves fuel.  Especially, if the time spent in the parking space enables the engine temp to drop significantly below "working temperature"...
HOW? well, it is a known fact, (and I am sure PP will agree for a change  Roll eyes ) that starting a cold engine uses more fuel. and add to that the manouvering required to reverse OUT of a parking space, increases the amount of fuel used for the distance actually travelled....
Therefore... I always reverse in, (it is much easier than trying to drive into a tight space). as the engine is still at working temp... consequently, when driving out of a parking space, you use less power, less rolling resistance (less turning to and fro, on the steering wheels contact with the tarmac). and you can actually see where you are going....
Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this item turned up on my local radio this morning.
Its not just parking space, we have some narrow roads near here where it is impossible to drive two 4x4 cars towards each other, and that is new roads
the 1989 Fiesta was 1605 mm wide (63.1 inches), the current fiesta is 1973mm 77.7 inches. i.e over a foot wider
pierre_pierre
Grafter

HOW? well, it is a known fact, (and I am sure PP will agree for a change  Roll Eyes ) that starting a cold engine uses more fuel. and add to that the manouvering required to reverse OUT of a parking space, increases the amount of fuel used for the distance actually travelled..

that depends how long you spend doing your shopping and having a meal Roll eyes Roll eyes
some one else made a comment on how long a car takes to warm up, its not just the car, its the catalyst that takes a long time to get to working temperature, and as pointed out on last weeks Watchdog Diesel soot collectors take about half hour at high revs to clean out the filter
Community Veteran

Obviously missed this bit then PP  Roll eyes

Especially, if the time spent in the parking space enables the engine temp to drop significantly below "working temperature"...

Cheesy
jmd
Grafter

I like to try and find a space I can drive through to so that I am parked "nose out" but have not had to reverse into the space!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another thing that came up this morning is that modern house garages are to small for all but a smart car
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Since, when parking nose out, there is no way to get the trolley round to the rear of the car for unloading the shopping I will continue to park nose in
Community Veteran

C`mon Jim.... carrying the shopping bags to the boot, is good for you.... !... think of it as Weight Lifting..... and Walking Exercises.... saves a fortune on going t`gym , Jim !  Roll eyes
So you save money by reversing in, and you save money by carrying the shopping to the boot !.... WOW... aren`t supermarket carparks wonderful places Cheesy
Community Veteran

The problem with small parking spaces is caused in the main in this country because the planning of car parks is flawed.
Car parks are not big enough but the shops want to get lots of shoppers to park in them. So the solution seems to be to make the size of the space to be suitable for the smallest of cars.
The parking space should be big enough to open a door on each side wide enough for a person to get in and out of the car without damaging adjacent cars.
I have a just bought another car and it does not fit in a regular parking space, so I just use two.
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Since, when parking nose out, there is no way to get the trolley round to the rear of the car for unloading the shopping I will continue to park nose in

I normally park nose out, but when I take the missus to the supermarket, I'm with Oldjim, particularly after an incident in the ASDA car park here recently.  A lady had left a loaded trolley unattended while she got her car out of the bay, only for it to be hijacked.  The trolley was found soon after at the pedestrian exit but minus some bottles of wine, plus her handbag containing purse, debit cards etc.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Oldjim

I like to reverse in so when at our nearest Tesco I always try to get into one of the bays that backs on to a walkway. Then I can simply push the trolley to the back of the car with ease Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still