cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parents and Children

Community Veteran

Parents and Children

I was walking into my local Asda this afternoon and was met by a young mother and her daughter who was no older than 3. The child was running ahead towards the carpark and the mother shouted "Watch were you are f***ing going you silly wee b***h!"  I was so disgusted I almost intervened! And you need a license to own a dog?! What chance does that little child have?Huh
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Parents and Children

this is deeply saddening.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

She would have been the first to blame the supermarket had the child had an accident Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Not only does the child need some "guidance" the mother should be "advised" about her language. In the right situation, in the right company I can eff and blind with the best of them, but usually don't. But however "modern" and emancipated its seen to be, I don't like hearing a woman swear like a navy boiler room stoker. Sadly I blame modern TV and movies for that.
Edit: that's no reflection on navy stokers, fine body of men.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

In the words of Terry Pratchett: "I really think people should have to pass a proper exam before becoming parents. Not just the practical I mean."  Wink
John
Community Veteran

Navy stokers - quaint old term - coal fired steam power disappeared before WWII - . Grin - it's all gas turbines these days - except for submarines and they use reciprocating diesel engines or nuclear powered steam turbines.
But sadly language has not got better - I agree that young people should be given parenting lessons - such bad language is just perpetuated from generation to generation.

Fixes: 104

Quote from: hulls
In the words of Terry Pratchett: "I really think people should have to pass a proper exam before becoming parents. Not just the practical I mean." 

I'd have probably have failed Crazy
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

some women might well say that a few men have not adequately passed the practical test  Wink
Community Veteran

This extends to other situations. I have worked in several bars over the years and have seen many couples spending entire days in the bar with their young children feeding them fizzy drinks. With the exception of private functions like weddings etc that is no place for a child, and that was before the smoking ban!
I remember one particular man who only got custody of his daughter on a Sunday would spend the time in the bar with all the horse racing, the men, the smoking and the colourful language.
I think that parents cannot be blamed any more than their parents can, or their parents before that, so the cycle started and so it will continue.
Community Veteran

I agree Sean that having children in bars all day is a very poor idea, but to be fair - I think children should be allowed n if the group are eating food. In some areas of the country the only restaurant's etc are in pub's, licenses hotel restaurants etc..
It varies across the country I guess - although I've sadly not been to Northern Ireland, I have been across most of England, Scotland - parts of Wales, and also many parts of Republic of Ireland - and have often found well behaved children in bars/pubs until about 8pm and have rarely had cause to complain.
Of course the continental Europeans do it rather differently in many countries - children are much more visible in restaurants/bars..

Community Veteran

I sould have included most restaurants are fine but the particular bars I was talking about were not and definitely not for that period of time.
Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z
I
Of course the continental Europeans do it rather differently in many countries - children are much more visible in restaurants/bars..

...and much better behaved as well.  I always book tables away from children as best I can.  Parents seem to let them run riot without any regard for other eaters.
Fixes: 47

I'm feeling very old fashioned as I won't swear in front of a woman even to the point of instinctively apologising if one of my colleagues does.
I won't mention standards and the degrading thereof as that topic has been done to death.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I sometimes go to an Eatery near Colchester Garrison, and lunchtime it is not unusual to see a dozen families with children under five, you never hear a squeak from them
A couple of months ago, the Red Hatters were having a meeting in the restaurant you have never heard such a racket
http://www.redhatsociety.com/
Community Veteran

I have walked out of restaurants in the US when I've spotted Redhatters.  Didn't think they got to Colchester PP.  They organise a trip once a year to London where they are guests of the Lord Mayor and ride in his parade.