cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parcels

Lægen
Aspiring Pro

Parcels

Leave delivery parcels for 72 hours before opening them to reduce the risk of catching coronavirus....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8306035/Leave-delivery-parcels-72-hours-opening-cut-risk-ca...

What do you do ?

We accept parcels, whilst wearing washing up gloves, open box, dispose of box, depending on enclosed item, it may have been in-transit for days, isolate or open. Wipe down with AB wipe / spray.

18 REPLIES 18
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

Re: Parcels

I haven't read the 'story' - it is a DM link - but I would imagine any possible virus would be on the outside packaging, so surely unwrapping the item and disposing of said packaging would be sufficient?

John
Lægen
Aspiring Pro

If it's from a UK supplier, the contents may have been handled recently.

From abroad, I am less worried.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I've been spraying everything with disinfectant - all over, every side of the box.

The thing is though our entire approach to Covid has been chaotic.

For example, you can't go out to see your elderly parents but you CAN take a taxi somewhere with an elderly driver for your essential needs.

When it comes to physical contact with Covid, we're told don't bother with gloves, it just lets the virus accumulate on them - but apparently that doesn't happen on actual skin? - What a load of rubbish. Gloves you can remove and then bin anything that has built up on them. Skini you can wash with soap but there is no guarantee of removing traces completely.

Going back to parcels, take in, using gloves to handle it, disinfect box (or if you want, use bleach spray instead), place down, remove gloves, get sharp blade (scissors etc), slice through all tape, lift box flaps from underneed with the blade. You've just avoided the virus - mostly - with the exception of taking it from the doorstep (but most drivers leave it there and wait for you to open the door - once that's done you can still go get gloves).

As for the cargo inside, from abroad it's less likely to still be alive. From the UK you might want to repeat the decontamination steps if it's not gonna get ruined.

Key thing to remember though is that disinfectant is NOT INSTANT - it takes time to work and break virus's apart.

Dettol do not guarantee that their product works against covid19 either. On their website they state that no samples have been made available for commercial testing however their tests against previous samples from teh corona family were successful and they've no reason to doubt it's effectiveness against covid19.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Lægen
Aspiring Pro

I have a disinfectant spray. Not with me at the moment,.

Instructions state leave for 5 minutes for anti bacterial, 15 minutes for virus ( no mention of Covid19)

I spray and leave..... for a while, overnight if possible

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

If this is true why are we only being told about it now ?

How many things have you touched after a 24 hour period ?......such as letters, tinned food, fruit or any other item....

By all means use common sense, reacting to every news article or comment by some ‘expert’ will indeed lead to you needing treatment for......PTSS.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I don't do any of the above. I just take them in and open. As more than a few health websites (WHO, CDC) say, the chances of transmission via a parcel, vegetables etc are very low. Same with Coins, notes etc.

CDC goes even further There is no evidence that food or food packaging has been linked to getting sick from COVID-19. I suspect you'd probably have more chance of being run over by a car than catching a virus via a parcel.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@7up 

Dettol do not guarantee that their product works against covid19 either. On their website they state that no samples have been made available for commercial testing however their tests against previous samples from teh corona family were successful and they've no reason to doubt it's effectiveness against covid19.

So that's bad news and good news for a certain D Trump!

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Since the start of this I've simply unwrapped them and tipped the contents out.

Then thrown away the wrapping and washed my hands.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

I've been receiving parcels throughout, both home grown and forriners, and handled them as I would have prior to the officially announced outbreak, and so far I've not come down with a case of dead yet... 🤔

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@idonno wrote:

I don't do any of the above. I just take them in and open. As more than a few health websites (WHO, CDC) say, the chances of transmission via a parcel, vegetables etc are very low. Same with Coins, notes etc.

CDC goes even further There is no evidence that food or food packaging has been linked to getting sick from COVID-19. I suspect you'd probably have more chance of being run over by a car than catching a virus via a parcel.

The CDC thing is utter junk quite frankly. The virus has spread around the world. Just because there is no evidence of it being spread by touch does not mean that touching things is safe. There's no evidence of many things however common sense still prevails and tells us what is right.

The chances of transmission may be lower but there are still chances of transmission. You have the virus on your package and then scratch your itchy eye... bingo. The virus is now in you. Granted it might not get far with such a small sample but everyone seems to react differently to this little barsteward. Most virus's have common symptoms / effects and work in the same way but this Covid is not only pure evil it's completely random and chaotic. If the chinese were trying to cause widespread confusion to distract the world from something then they've done a damn good job.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@7up wrote: The chances of transmission may be lower but there are still chances of transmission. You have the virus on your package and then scratch your itchy eye... bingo. The virus is now in you. Granted it might not get far with such a small sample but everyone seems to react differently to this little barsteward. Most virus's have common symptoms / effects and work in the same way but this Covid is not only pure evil it's completely random and chaotic. If the chinese were trying to cause widespread confusion to distract the world from something then they've done a damn good job.

And that is part of the problem there 'might' be a virus. The simple fact is none of the other virus's, bacteria have gone away. This is just another to add to the tally that we, as humans, deal with in our own way. Some do get very ill / die and it seems the 2% death rate is slightly on the low side, seems its nearer 3%. But that is if you go down with it big time. For most people, they just shrug it off.

I might go down with it big time, I might not. No one can say. Whether applying disinfectant everywhere helps, couldn't really say but currently the air that comes into my house is totally unfiltered. It might or might not contain coronavirus water droplets..........but:

Comparison with other viruses

Virus Death Rate
Wuhan Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
2%*
SARS
9.6%
MERS
34%
Swine Flu
0.02%

Just saying. Stay safe.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

Anything that arrives in the post is "quarantined" for 48 hours. Job done. 🙂

Warning: the Internet may contain traces of nuts

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
twocvbloke
Community Veteran

I'm rather excitedly awaiting the arrival of a new mobile tellingbone, coming all the way from china, and as soon as it arrives I'm tearing that package open and marvelling in the glory of my new £103 Asus shiny thing... 😁

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@nozzer wrote:

@7up 

Dettol do not guarantee that their product works against covid19 either.

So that's bad news and good news for a certain D Trump!

I'm pretty sure the bottle also contains a warning against 'internal use' which is even more bad news for him.