Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parcel in the toilet?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Parcel in the toilet?

I'm betting this has never been discussed on the forum before, your parcel being left in the toilet by a delivery driver!

Been pretty lucky m'self apart from Hermes delivery I think it was knocking on our door at 7am. Oh, and our brand new wide screen TV from the Co-op that "must be signed for" but was just left propped up in the porch on the wrong day and when we were out. I was sorely tempted to tell them that we never received it but.... 

Anyways, I did email the Co-op 'suggesting' they should have a word with whoever that driver was. Fair play, these guys are overbusy and underpaid, but still no reason to have just left it like that.

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Parcel in the toilet?

My Dad told me a story of my mother's 21st birthday. He bought a bunch of red roses for her to be delivered to the house. He went to take her out that night and my Grandad told him to go away as my Mum wasn't very happy he had forgotten her birthday present. Despite protests, he left. Next morning they went into the outside room 100 and there they were!! No card through the door or anything. Maybe the florist sisn't think they'd have a bog upstairs as well Smiley

Mark

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

We don't have an outside loo, but almost without fail I leave a parcel daily in the upstairs one.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@RobPN  Don't you mean a packet; no brown paper required?Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I think @RobPN  is sending the topic down the pan, a bit like the EU. 

Time to flush? Wink

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Groan. It's one reason I hate courier deliveries. Some even come equiped with feaher dusters to rattle the letter box. Even though I have a notice on the door to RING THE BELL. Why is that so difficult.

The only people that seem to do a decent job, round these parts, is dare I say it, Royal Mail. The postie saw me getting into the car the other day, cut short his round, came across and said he had a parcel for me. And if I do miss them, they take it to the nearest post office (one round here seems to be open nearly all hours and on a Sunday!!!) or back to the sorting office, which is a sight more convenient than a trip of 30 miles or so away.

The other delivery method I use quite often is the local drop off and collect. Anything to avoid a courier delivery.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@idonno  - Not everyone’s doorbell work or can be heard from outside, so they’ll err on the side of caution and knock seven bells out of the door to get your attention.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Back in my television repairman days c1970, nothing was ever more annoying when you are in a bit of a hurry (apart from dog poop on the drive or a carpet soaked in cat pee behind the TV) than an unanswered door when they were supposed to be home, a house name that was not displayed, no number, no door bell... and a sticky knocker. Roll_eyes 

Being a multi drop delivery driver must be the number one rubbish job and I should know - I tried it for a week. Sad

Highlighted
Community Veteran

The only problems with delivery is the complete inconsistency. Take RM for instance. If I'm not in parcels are either left hidden somewhere (behind my bin or in it usually) or a "while you were out" note is left with instruction to pick up at the local sorting office.

And I'm still surprised at what they do sometimes. A couple of days ago I found a large parcel behind my bin. What I found odd was that it was a recorded delivery signed for parcel. I don't remember signing for it.Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well it was amazing just how many times I'd be sat in the van writing out that "while you were out" card and they would suddenly appear saying "were you just knocking on my door, we were home y'know"

"Sheesh, then try answering it" I'd mutter under my breath. Angry

@billnotben  One comment I read was from a guy who had a new bin delivered, and he did even not notice!

Highlighted
Rising Star

I feel sorry for the Hermes self-employed.

If they deliver an item and nobody is in and it goes back to the depot they don't get paid a penny. That is why they will do anything to get a parcel delivered - leaving in porches, etc.

I had a long chat with one of them a few months ago and really felt quite sorry for the guy.

The pittance they are paid and the overheads of running a vehicle (personal car in many cases) it is almost like slave labour.

I gave the guy a box of chocolates as an Xmas tip and he was in tears that somebody actually appreciated him.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

A porch is what is needed which is why we always instruct the courier to leave it in there and why perhaps I have had little cause for complaint... apart from that televsion that was left unsigned for.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@RJM 

@RJM wrote:

The pittance they are paid and the overheads of running a vehicle (personal car in many cases) it is almost like slave labour.

I wonder if he is doing that "illegally"... i.e.  running his car on S, D & P , cover,  or if he has actually contacted the insurance company, and changed it to include "business use"... 

If he is stopped by the police, for , (say) a misdemeanour, like brake light not working, ,... and they check what he is doing, and he has not got "business" use on the policy, he is likely to lose the car, and also have to pay a hefty "towage and storage" fee, PLUS points on his licence, and a court appearance, for driving without the correct insurance....

Highlighted
Rising Star

Yes, you have to have business insurance.

I wonder how many actually have it?

I presume a company like Hermes would want verification before allowing somebody to load-up with parcels.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I suspect that responsibilty is with the driver. 

Given their probable turnover of staff somebody would have a full time job on their hands. As a company car driver of many years I cannot recollect even being asked by them for my drivers licence... but maybe my memory is fading. Roll_eyes